Odd leather smell

Ok here's my story. My local store kindly offered me a Rouge Casaque Kelly Epsom Sellier 28 with PHW in November 2016. I was gobsmacked and so happy as it was not my request and I never even thought about it. I normally do not carry my new bags immediately. I do not know why I did in this case but am glad. Within 3 days I realised in a closed, warm environment the bag bagan to smell like weed. As it was winter it is not noticeable at any other time. I only learnt to recognise this smell while living in Holland and going past "coffee shops" in Amsterdam. Anyway I requested to speak with my leather SM and my SA. I have never in my whole life returned anything especially not a bag, as they know I would rather hold it 1 day to consider and decline if not sure. They knew I was very disappointed and very kindly accepted the bag and past my expectations, gave me a full refund. Now this is not the norm as the bag is supposed to be sent to Paris for assessment and then Paris decides what to do. In the meantime I would be out of pocket and a bag. On top of this, the leather SM kindly offered to allocate a replacement from her PO stock. I requested a Rouge Casaque 25 instead, with GHW bec that was the specs ordered and expected. In the meantime I waited impatiently haha! The bag arrived and there was some change in collection policy but again, good friends and family assisted. The bag is finally here and the matter is settled. I cannot express how satisfied I am with how I have been treated as a customer. [emoji813]:flowers:[emoji813]
This is what service is all about esp for long standing customer
Glad all turn out well

This is what service is all about esp for long standing customer
Glad all turn out well

Hi ladies, chanced upon this post just today and realised that i have a Kelly Togo Q stamp with the smell that has been bothering me for years but i never really checked or googled about it until today because i thought it's something that will be gone after some time (but apparently the smell is still there) especially when i live in summer country all year long. Can someone please give me advise if something still can be done to my bag? appreciate any feedback, thank you.

Hi ladies, chanced upon this post just today and realised that i have a Kelly Togo Q stamp with the smell that has been bothering me for years but i never really checked or googled about it until today because i thought it's something that will be gone after some time (but apparently the smell is still there) especially when i live in summer country all year long. Can someone please give me advise if something still can be done to my bag? appreciate any feedback, thank you.
Get it right back to your store and tell them this. I hope you bought it at your regular store with your SA/SM. Good luck!

Get it right back to your store and tell them this. I hope you bought it at your regular store with your SA/SM. Good luck!
I have an Epsom wallet that I’ve had for 4 years or so that I just realized smells like skunk (I had it put away for a while and just brought it out). Do you think it’s too late to inquire about them fixing it? Somehow I hadn’t noticed it before. :sad:

Your only choice is returning it to store

I think they will accept it because it is a defect from their side. They are well aware of the issue and have been very cooperative with clients with regards to replacements, etc.

Taking it back really is the only choice because otherwise - based on everyone's experience on this thread - the smell will not go away.

I think they will accept it because it is a defect from their side. They are well aware of the issue and have been very cooperative with clients with regards to replacements, etc.

Taking it back really is the only choice because otherwise - based on everyone's experience on this thread - the smell will not go away.

Thanks ladies, i will drop by the store tmr and see how it goes! fingers crossed.

Hi all! I have A question regarding my newest Birkin. I recently Purchased a black Togo Birkin with RGHW (from the store) When i sniff the bag the front panel and back panel emit a strong chemical smell. Not skunk. More like what i imagine Strong ink to smell like. Like a sharpie smell but different. I dont Smell it unless I put my face up to it. I don’t really remember if my other bags smelled like this. But I’m not sure I stuck my nose up to it. I did just Smell a Togo bag i bought last year, it just smelled like leather.

Anyone else ever notice this? Did it go away. I wonder If it just needs to off-gas? Thank you in advance!

Hi all! I have A question regarding my newest Birkin. I recently Purchased a black Togo Birkin with RGHW (from the store) When i sniff the bag the front panel and back panel emit a strong chemical smell. Not skunk. More like what i imagine Strong ink to smell like. Like a sharpie smell but different. I dont Smell it unless I put my face up to it. I don’t really remember if my other bags smelled like this. But I’m not sure I stuck my nose up to it. I did just Smell a Togo bag i bought last year, it just smelled like leather.

Anyone else ever notice this? Did it go away. I wonder If it just needs to off-gas? Thank you in advance!
Glad you mentioned it. For the past few years I have noticed that the Togo leather now no longer has the fabulous scent as in the past. What you notice is probably normal for current batches, it is not defective. It is another loss that I despair of, that special scent which accompanies each leather purchase at Hermes.

Glad you mentioned it. For the past few years I have noticed that the Togo leather now no longer has the fabulous scent as in the past. What you notice is probably normal for current batches, it is not defective. It is another loss that I despair of, that special scent which accompanies each leather purchase at Hermes.
Thank you for your reassurance! I was becoming a little concerned as i did not really notice this on the last two Togo bags that i purchased In the last year. But to be honest, before my Barenia i never Really thought to really get in there and sniff a bag. But that is now the first thing i do! Hoping it just needs to air out some. Wondering if it would help to take a hair dryer on the very lowest heat setting to see if that helps things move along. Have you ever done this? Did your newer Togo bags eventually smell less like chemical?

Thank you for your reassurance! I was becoming a little concerned as i did not really notice this on the last two Togo bags that i purchased In the last year. But to be honest, before my Barenia i never Really thought to really get in there and sniff a bag. But that is now the first thing i do! Hoping it just needs to air out some. Wondering if it would help to take a hair dryer on the very lowest heat setting to see if that helps things move along. Have you ever done this? Did your newer Togo bags eventually smell less like chemical?
I think it’s fades naturally. I wouldn’t use a hairdryer as it would accelerate drying out of the leather and I don’t think it would make much difference. Hermes leathers all used to smell wonderful. Barenia was only one example with its own unique scent.

Reactions: Meta and GoldFish8
I wonder if this is an ‘anti-skunk’ measure or forms part of the newer tanning process that has been mentioned, which I believe is more environmentally sustainable and was required by regulations.

If I understood some of the speculation in this thread, I think it was this change in tanning procedures that resulted in #skunkgate (as it would surely be dubbed today!).

Reactions: eagle1002us
I wonder if this is an ‘anti-skunk’ measure or forms part of the newer tanning process that has been mentioned, which I believe is more environmentally sustainable and was required by regulations.

If I understood some of the speculation in this thread, I think it was this change in tanning procedures that resulted in #skunkgate (as it would surely be dubbed today!).
Interesting.. do you know when the new tanning procedures started?