Non-H Shoulder Strap Success

Here’s my black croc Kelly 32 GHW with the Mautto 1.5” wide black cotton canvas webbing strap and gold hook #13.

IMG_2198.jpg

When I contacted Mautto, I was concerned about the size of the hook because my Kelly is the older model that only has one loop (instead of two like the current Kelly models) on each side. There isn’t a whole lot of room for even the original H croc strap to hook onto so I wanted the Mautto hook to be small enough to fit.

Here’s a photo of my Kelly with the Mautto strap on the left side and the original H croc strap on the right side.

IMG_2199.jpg

And here is a photo of just the hooks placed side by side.

IMG_2200.jpg

Although the hardware isn’t the same, it fits on my Kelly about just as well as the original H strap does in that there isn’t a lot of room to spare with either attached. If my Kelly had the second rings like the current Kellys do, the Mautto hook would be perfectly fine. If I put the H strap aside and look only at the Mautto strap, I would say that the Mautto hook is a good quality piece of hardware. It is just as substantial in weight and shape as the H hook. Because I ordered the 1.5” wide strap, Mautto may have slimmer hooks that would have worked had I chosen a thinner strap like .75” same as the original H strap.

Overall, I’m satisfied with the Mautto straps I ordered.

If I compare the Mautto cotton canvas webbing strap to the H canvas webbing strap, there are additional differences. For instance, the H canvas strap has leather at both ends right where the hook attaches whereas the Mautto strap is all canvas. Here is a photo of the original H canvas strap and hook that came with my Evelyne next to a Mautto 1.5” wide cotton canvas webbing strap and Mautto hook (nickel hook #13).

IMG_2202.jpg

As you can see, the color is not a match (I was aware that it wouldn’t match when I placed my order). Hope this helps.

I looked briefly at the Mautto leather straps but didn’t order any. They had several different black leather options - one that I thought looked like it would match Togo — and you can get samples of what the different leathers look like if you want to compare them in real life side by side with your own handbag.

Good luck! and keep us posted on what you decide.

@lala28 Thank you for the helpful photos and details! What a nice guide. Your straps look like the will work quote well. I actually lost patience with waiting and purchased a different color Hermes leather strap online. I will see whether it blends or clashes when it arrives.

If I compare the Mautto cotton canvas webbing strap to the H canvas webbing strap, there are additional differences. For instance, the H canvas strap has leather at both ends right where the hook attaches whereas the Mautto strap is all canvas. Here is a photo of the original H canvas strap and hook that came with my Evelyne next to a Mautto 1.5” wide cotton canvas webbing strap and Mautto hook (nickel hook #13).

View attachment 4019031

As you can see, the color is not a match (I was aware that it wouldn’t match when I placed my order). Hope this helps.

I looked briefly at the Mautto leather straps but didn’t order any. They had several different black leather options - one that I thought looked like it would match Togo — and you can get samples of what the different leathers look like if you want to compare them in real life side by side with your own handbag.

Good luck! and keep us posted on what you decide.
That is so helpful. I just placed an order with them for two adjustable cotton straps a few days ago, hopefully it will be a success.

Reactions: lala28
Hi all, adding to what @lala28 said about Mautto’s cotton canvas straps: I have a few of their 1.5in wide straps with the hardware they offer and personally I find the hardware especially the nickel styles too big for the Kelly and Bolide rings. Recently I have provided my own hardware which I found on Etsy and they are similar looks to Mautto’s but overall smaller particularly at the hook part, and they have custom made the straps for me.

@lala28, I want to ask about your Mautto straps using the gold and nickel hooks #13: I think these are meant for narrower straps so the 1.5in wide canvas has to be tapered or folded to fit into the “eye” part, am I right? Are you happy with the way they do the tapering or folding? Lynette the owner has suggested this to me in the past but I have never tried it because I was not sure whether they can do it properly. If you are satisfied with it, I will definitely get some more straps from her in this style.

Reactions: nicole0612
Hi all, adding to what @lala28 said about Mautto’s cotton canvas straps: I have a few of their 1.5in wide straps with the hardware they offer and personally I find the hardware especially the nickel styles too big for the Kelly and Bolide rings. Recently I have provided my own hardware which I found on Etsy and they are similar looks to Mautto’s but overall smaller particularly at the hook part, and they have custom made the straps for me.

@lala28, I want to ask about your Mautto straps using the gold and nickel hooks #13: I think these are meant for narrower straps so the 1.5in wide canvas has to be tapered or folded to fit into the “eye” part, am I right? Are you happy with the way they do the tapering or folding? Lynette the owner has suggested this to me in the past but I have never tried it because I was not sure whether they can do it properly. If you are satisfied with it, I will definitely get some more straps from her in this style.

Yes, the 1.5” cotton canvas strap is folded at the end so that it fits appropriately in the hardware “eye” loop. I think you are correct that hook #13 is probably intended for the 1” strap so Lynette folded it in slightly. I took a close up so you can see what she did. The strap isn’t cut or sewn in place to make the tapered end; it is folded in slightly. While it is possible that the fold could come undone, I wasn’t able to unfold it with my hands (I would have to get tweezers to pull it out and even then, I’m not sure I would be able to since the narrower hook “eye” loop effectively keeps the folds in place. In terms of aesthetics, it doesn’t bother me and to be honest, I didn’t even notice it because I was focused on whether the hook part was small enough to attach to my Kelly loops, which it did. Would love to see a photo of the hardware you found on Etsy. I’ve attached a close up of the Mautto #13 hook so you can see it’s measurements. She also recommended Mautto hook #5.

IMG_2379.jpg
IMG_2380.jpgIMG_2381.jpg

Yes, the 1.5” cotton canvas strap is folded at the end so that it fits appropriately in the hardware “eye” loop. I think you are correct that hook #13 is probably intended for the 1” strap so Lynette folded it in slightly. I took a close up so you can see what she did. The strap isn’t cut or sewn in place to make the tapered end; it is folded in slightly. While it is possible that the fold could come undone, I wasn’t able to unfold it with my hands (I would have to get tweezers to pull it out and even then, I’m not sure I would be able to since the narrower hook “eye” loop effectively keeps the folds in place. In terms of aesthetics, it doesn’t bother me and to be honest, I didn’t even notice it because I was focused on whether the hook part was small enough to attach to my Kelly loops, which it did. Would love to see a photo of the hardware you found on Etsy. I’ve attached a close up of the Mautto #13 hook so you can see it’s measurements. She also recommended Mautto hook #5.

View attachment 4020379
View attachment 4020389View attachment 4020390

Thank you, very helpful! I will go back to their website and consider another order. Given the price points for these straps vs the new H straps and all the other designer straps out there, it’s easy to find that you’ve bought multiples for each bag lol.
Here is a photo of the gold hooks I found on Etsy and used for 2 Kelly 32 straps:
F7709A81-0B75-49AA-B389-D6D7A9C6AE2B.jpeg
From vendor PurseSuppliesRUs

Reactions: andee
I’m so glad to have found this thread! Thank you for the wealth of information. I’m looking for a strap to be able to wear my vintage Kelly crossbody but was wary of ordering something online. It’s really helpful to read about all of your experiences!

@lala28 (or anyone else who has ordered from Mautto) - about how long did your straps take to arrive?

I decided to pay extra for the expedited turnaround and priority shipping. I think it was $14 extra? I finalized my custom order on a Monday afternoon and received my straps on Thursday. I didn’t know what to expect so I didn’t have the patience to wait the normal turnaround time for fear that I might get antsy and place additional “back up” orders with other merchants online. I wanted to know sooner rather than later if the Mautto straps would suit my needs because if they didn’t, then I would have to go back to the drawing board and start researching alternatives. Plus, I really wanted to wear my new Evelyne as a shoulder bag but didn’t have any strap that would allow me to do so (The adjustable strap digs into my collarbone so I don’t like to use it at all). So basically, I couldn’t use my new bag at all which also prompted me to pay extra for faster handling. Now that I know what to expect, I don’t think I would pay extra for expedited handling of future orders. Plus, now I can use my Evelyne :smile: and subsequent orders would be purely for aesthetic value :smile:.

I decided to pay extra for the expedited turnaround and priority shipping. I think it was $14 extra? I finalized my custom order on a Monday afternoon and received my straps on Thursday. I didn’t know what to expect so I didn’t have the patience to wait the normal turnaround time for fear that I might get antsy and place additional “back up” orders with other merchants online. I wanted to know sooner rather than later if the Mautto straps would suit my needs because if they didn’t, then I would have to go back to the drawing board and start researching alternatives. Plus, I really wanted to wear my new Evelyne as a shoulder bag but didn’t have any strap that would allow me to do so (The adjustable strap digs into my collarbone so I don’t like to use it at all). So basically, I couldn’t use my new bag at all which also prompted me to pay extra for faster handling. Now that I know what to expect, I don’t think I would pay extra for expedited handling of future orders. Plus, now I can use my Evelyne :smile: and subsequent orders would be purely for aesthetic value :smile:.
Thanks! Assuming my order works out, I will be repeating this with Mautto and next time will definitely do expedited everything.

Reactions: lala28
I finalized a custom order with Mautto last week and asked if it could be delivered by April 16 (10 days more or less) and was told that current turn around time for custom without the expedited rush is 14 to 21 days. I don’t usually pay for rush but am doing it for this order to get the straps earlier.
@lala28 (or anyone else who has ordered from Mautto) - about how long did your straps take to arrive?