New reformulated canvas for end of 2014-2015 your experiences with-please share

I bought the Neverfull v monogram and speedy v monogram for bags recently. Did not notice a difference from my Ikat Neverfulls or my other speedies. I bought my tivoli gm this year and although it was made in USA, canvas is still heavier. I looked at totally, delightful, Kensington, Calvi and New speedies in de, da and mono. All were extremely thin canvas compared to all my other LVs including a mono totally from 2014. Such a difference that my 72 year old mother noticed in store..... As far as smells, I have a da Hampstead mm I bought preloved and thought the vachetta had a slightly odd scent. It was next to my new tivoli gm so Im actually not sure which bag it was from....

I bought a Speedy DE in 2012 and Speedy monogram in 2013.

Then, I had to throw out my 2013 Speedy monogram (long story) and purchase a new Speedy monogram a month ago.

The leather is definitely more susceptible to water stains this time, and the canvas does seem thinner. =[

However, I still love it and I'm using LV bandeau scarves to cover the handles.

I just bought my first LV yesterday and I noticed some flaws in the bag. Do you think is it normal?
In my opinion it is not a significant flaws. It seems that the treated leather is so hard that i will easily wrinkle during the process. But still I would like to hear your opinion. I hope you dont mind I post it in this thread. Please correct me if im posting in wrong thread. :smile:
Thank you
View attachment 3127708
View attachment 3127710

View attachment 3127704

I bought a Speedy DE in 2012 and Speedy monogram in 2013.

Then, I had to throw out my 2013 Speedy monogram (long story) and purchase a new Speedy monogram a month ago.

The leather is definitely more susceptible to water stains this time, and the canvas does seem thinner. =[

However, I still love it and I'm using LV bandeau scarves to cover the handles.
Can you make your throwing out of your 2013 Speedy monogram long story into a short one? I am intrested to hear...

Reactions: BeGoldStayGold
My Azur Delightful is the first bag I noticed the difference in the canvas and leather. Right out of the store the leather was darker than any new bag I have ever bought. Just a new color they are using. ok with me. but the canvas feels thinner to me as well. I love the bag but after buying LV for 20+ yrs this is the first time I have thought the bag was thin feeling.

on to NF NM I just bought this Summer. same thing I noticed. and the bag caves on itself more than my 3 yr old NF.

so they are changing some stuff for sure. My new Speedy Ebene bought this summer feels the same..fantastic.

NO smells and I am a super smeller lol :P:smile:

these things do not deter me from buying LV tho

I have a NM Delightful in mono that was made in June 2015 (around the time they re formulated?). The rubbery canvas bothers me more than I'd like to admit but what really gets me is that I think it's starting to peel. It's along the bottom piping and corners and it sort of looks like the peeling you would have after a sunburn. I think it's caused by the bag rubbing along my clothes which would be normal wear (maybe?) Which is why I'm hesitant to bring it into the boutique.

I bought a josephine wallet in may I think and the canvas does feel different compared to my older pieces. It had a strong smell and now I'm having trouble with bubbles. Will take it to the store and see what they say

I had a speedy mono 25 from 1989 and went into the store to check out the new one to replace my 89 model which was stolen- I definitely noticed a difference in the canvas feel and thinkness.

I also have an Eva DE from 2012 and the canvas still feels thicker from then, compared to today.

When I asked about the thinness of the canvas compared to the older models, I was told it was to save on weight.

My DH thinks it was to save on costs making the bags. Thinner canvas= cheaper material costs.

Reactions: BeGoldStayGold
I have a NM Delightful in mono that was made in June 2015 (around the time they re formulated?). The rubbery canvas bothers me more than I'd like to admit but what really gets me is that I think it's starting to peel. It's along the bottom piping and corners and it sort of looks like the peeling you would have after a sunburn. I think it's caused by the bag rubbing along my clothes which would be normal wear (maybe?) Which is why I'm hesitant to bring it into the boutique.

No it's not normal! The peeling is happening to lots of mono bags. Definitely bring it in!

I agree that the quality of LV seems to be questionable in the last few years and given the amount of money we are paying that is completely unacceptable! I took my 1998 Speedy in and compared it with a 2015 version and there is a clear difference, even my SA had to acknowledge the fact, in the thickness and feel of the canvas.
It was the same last week for my Delightful MM in de; I had to go through 3 separate bags before finding one that compared in quality to my original mono Delightful I was using. The first 2 where MIU, had a plasticky feeling canvas that was so thin that I could see light coming through, and they both had an awful smell of chemicals lingering on them. The last bag I literally grabbed straight off the display stand and was MIF, had a nice thick canvas comparable to my OM and that blocked the light from my iPhone's flashlight, and there was only that new LV smell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kirkland
I agree that the quality of LV seems to be questionable in the last few years and given the amount of money we are paying that is completely unacceptable! I took my 1998 Speedy in and compared it with a 2015 version and there is a clear difference, even my SA had to acknowledge the fact, in the thickness and feel of the canvas.
It was the same last week for my Delightful MM in de; I had to go through 3 separate bags before finding one that compared in quality to my original mono Delightful I was using. The first 2 where MIU, had a plasticky feeling canvas that was so thin that I could see light coming through, and they both had an awful smell of chemicals lingering on them. The last bag I literally grabbed straight off the display stand and was MIF, had a nice thick canvas comparable to my OM and that blocked the light from my iPhone's flashlight, and there was only that new LV smell.
You didn't happen to compare date codes on the models did you?

You didn't happen to compare date codes on the models did you?
Call me crazy but I'm one of those women that intentionally hunts for the date code like it's open season. The MIU bags both started with SD and, if I remember correctly, one was 2185 and another one was 3125 while my MIF bag is MI2135.
I'm not sure what the date code for the Speedy was except that it was MIU (pull tab) and the SA said that it was this year's (2015) model.

Last edited:
Call me crazy but I'm one of those women that intentionally hunts for the date code like it's open season. The MIU bags both started with SD and, if I remember correctly, one was 2185 and another one was 3125 while my MIF bag is MI2135.
I'm not sure what the date code for the Speedy was except that it was MIU (pull tab) and the SA said that it was this year's (2015) model.
Aww poop, I was hoping the MIF code would be later because they may have solved the issue :sad: