New packaging

I shared this on another thread but maybe it's more appropriate here.

I suspect that VCA's action of replacing velvet boxes with green pouches is not a sign of economic struggle but more like getting aligned with the French idea of minimizing waste in general. Take note that back in 2016, France adopted a law on fighting food waste that meant supermarkets were forbidden to destroy unsold food products and were compelled to donate it instead.

Another example: this year, McDonald's France introduced its reusable packaging:
View attachment 5658595View attachment 5658596

I'm pretty sure someone will say again, "you don't know anything about luxury jewelry shopping we ladies here know what we're talking about" blah blah blah. Save your words and read this instead:

Nah it feels cheap because it is and makes me wonder what's going on with a luxury company that is suddenly trying to save money in this drastic way.

Tbh I think they are trying to save costs... more than for environmental reasons. Do people really throw out velvet VCA boxes?
Yes, I have thrown out boxes including VCA, Rolex, Breguet, etc. Though DHs Alange &Sohne person insisted that we keep theirs . Though I would strongly prefer not to take jewelry boxes, sometimes it’s just easier not to make a fuss. I also am not A fan of the coffee table books. I think every VCA coffee book I’ve received (I think four of them) looks cheap or ordinary, (like an advertisement) and I even dislike the cartier humongous double volume (which I purchased). I honestly think the only well designed one was for suzanne Belperron. I’m thankful not to be A Recipient of scented candles. I have received trinkets like a porcelain jewelry dish, and none of this stuff is to my taste. Comestibles are okay, but I would rather choose and buy my own. VCA once set up a special salmon and caviar private showing for us, and I once got a box of custom LV petit fours; both were so wasteful, and so blatantly hard sell, that I kind of felt a bit uncomfortable, almost offended. I have enough crap of my own. I do not need or want excess packaging. When I buy stuff at Hermes, chanel, dior, or other, I try to walk out without the box, bag, ribbons, assorted stuff. JMO of course.

ETA: I also think the travel cases are impractical and somewhat useless. I’ve never used a travel case gifted by a jeweler. the only travel item that I somewhat like is that the Bulgari hotels have a padded tray on the women’s side of the bed for jewelry. But, it’s nothing that I would want to have for my own.

I really dislike being distracted by food or drink when I am trying things on.

Last edited:

I suspect that VCA's action of replacing velvet boxes with green pouches is not a sign of economic struggle but more like getting aligned with the French idea of minimizing waste in general. Take note that back in 2016, France adopted a law on fighting food waste that meant supermarkets were forbidden to destroy unsold food products and were compelled to donate it instead.

Another example: this year, McDonald's France introduced its reusable packaging:

I'm pretty sure someone will say again, "you don't know anything about luxury jewelry shopping we ladies here know what we're talking about" blah blah blah. Save your words and read this instead:

I don’t care what McDonalds in France does. My pieces are precious to me and I intend to pass them down to my children and grandchildren safely and properly, stored the original box.

Thank you- this article is very interesting.

Whilst I see how cardboard McDonalds packaging is a waste, I don't see how my jewellery box is. I use it to store my pieces when I'm not wearing them. It is necessary, it has a use in protecting my piece. I appreciate a limited number of people don't use them, why don't they ask at point of purchase what you would like?

I'd argue if they really cared about the environment they would be using recycled gold and they certainly wouldn't have introduced coral pieces this year.

I don’t care what McDonalds in France does. My pieces are precious to me and I intend to pass them down to my children and grandchildren safely and properly, stored the original box.
Friend, no one is asking you to throw away your old boxes, if that’s what you’re worried about. They’re yours and you can use it whichever way you want.

I just theorized on what can be VCA’s reasoning behind the new packaging.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
Thank you- this article is very interesting.

Whilst I see how cardboard McDonalds packaging is a waste, I don't see how my jewellery box is. I use it to store my pieces when I'm not wearing them. It is necessary, it has a use in protecting my piece. I appreciate a limited number of people don't use them, why don't they ask at point of purchase what you would like?
Probably because the French are all-in when it comes to these type of things, i.e. it’s either they switch to the new packaging or they don’t. And providing options would mean they still will make the old one, even if they’re reduced.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
Probably because the French are all-in when it comes to these type of things, i.e. it’s either they switch to the new packaging or they don’t. And providing options would mean they still will make the old one, even if they’re reduced.

But if they were all in they would also be addressing other environmental issues, such as the recycled gold and coral.....I really don't think VCA boxes are significant contributor to landfill.

Of course, they could make them out of natural materials so that they would break down if they were thrown out but that would be much more expensive.