New packaging

Nope, no cleaning cloth. I asked customer service if they could send me one and they told me they've never had the cleaning cloths, hmmm. My SA in one of the US boutiques says the same thing but I know someone who went to New York City and she received a cleaning cloth with her purchases.

I brought a pendant last week and got the old box as well. I requested for the cleaning cloth and they said it’s already been discounted then my SA proceeded to tell me they did not have any cleaning cloth in stock for a long time but I needed to get my piece cleaned they can do it in store for me. This is in London.

I have mixed feelings here. On the one hand when I recently made my first purchase at Tiffany and saw their packaging was just a pouch in a box, I felt that made my VCA purchases look more luxurious and a cut above.

On the other hand, I feel like the VCA boxes and cases are a bit of smoke and mirrors anyway: the cases are synthetic materials rather than wood or leather, and if they are anything like sister-brand Cartier’s packaging, they are made in a low-wage country and have weights inside to make them feel heavy. (I even considered decluttering my Cartier packaging and only reconsidered in case whoever gets my pieces when I die wants to resell them.)
Did Tiffany recently have a change in their packaging as well? My last purchase was earlier this year in Feb and it was a platinum piece and came in the thick black velvet case inside their signature blue box. All of my Tiffany pieces have come with the thick black case except maybe a few sterling silver ones in the past.

I think another upsetting factor for existing customers is the fact that we previously got the luxurious packaging and now have been severely downgraded to this new “eco” packaging and not allowed to have more than one pouch where before they were giving them out as requested.

The feeling is a bit like we paid for Business class flight tickets but last minute got booted to Economy against our will, despite paying for Business class… Then they give you the same business class food and service but your whole experience feels cheapened and uncomfortable. Maybe this sounds dramatic for those who don’t care about presentation and packaging but it does feel like a snub, in a way.

Did Tiffany recently have a change in their packaging as well? My last purchase was earlier this year in Feb and it was a platinum piece and came in the thick black velvet case inside their signature blue box. All of my Tiffany pieces have come with the thick black case except maybe a few sterling silver ones in the past.

I don’t know, this was a gold beaded bracelet but perhaps they package those like the silver?

I don’t know, this was a gold beaded bracelet but perhaps they package those like the silver?
Interesting, I’d be curious to know what kind of packaging others got from Tiffany’s recently as well. My previous ones in YG, RG, and WG always came with a velvet case too but it’s been a while so perhaps they changed their policy already too.

Selfridges seems to still have the old packaging still. I am in the USA and was shocked to get a box delivered so huge that I could probably fit inside of it; full of soft packing so that it could fit the shopping bag fully upright and not folded with the box etc inside the shopping bag, as if I had just walked out of the store with it. It seemed a bit wasteful, but it was also fun and unexpected. I only shop remotely since my local store closed a couple of years ago, and when I purchase from the USA, they send everything folded up in a small FedEx box, so this was quite a funny and sweet surprise.

I think another upsetting factor for existing customers is the fact that we previously got the luxurious packaging and now have been severely downgraded to this new “eco” packaging and not allowed to have more than one pouch where before they were giving them out as requested.

The feeling is a bit like we paid for Business class flight tickets but last minute got booted to Economy against our will, despite paying for Business class… Then they give you the same business class food and service but your whole experience feels cheapened and uncomfortable. Maybe this sounds dramatic for those who don’t care about presentation and packaging but it does feel like a snub, in a way.
For Tiffany, I believe orders over $1K still include the black velvet box.

I like to collect so I’m a bit bummed about VCA’s change. I feel that presentation is a very important piece of luxury shopping, and the new packaging misses the mark.

Interesting, I’d be curious to know what kind of packaging others got from Tiffany’s recently as well. My previous ones in YG, RG, and WG always came with a velvet case too but it’s been a while so perhaps they changed their policy already too.
I got a yellow gold and yellow South Sea pearl ring from Tiffany and it came in a blue leather-like box/case and that box was placed in their blue paper box. The black velvet cases were discontinued. Now they provide blue ones with black velvet inside.

Last edited:
I shared this on another thread but maybe it's more appropriate here.

I suspect that VCA's action of replacing velvet boxes with green pouches is not a sign of economic struggle but more like getting aligned with the French idea of minimizing waste in general. Take note that back in 2016, France adopted a law on fighting food waste that meant supermarkets were forbidden to destroy unsold food products and were compelled to donate it instead.

Another example: this year, McDonald's France introduced its reusable packaging:
Fh8QCytWYAEopv1.jpegFh8OSmzXoAAsEw7.jpeg

I'm pretty sure someone will say again, "you don't know anything about luxury jewelry shopping we ladies here know what we're talking about" blah blah blah. Save your words and read this instead:

I just picked up my holiday pendant and still got the box. It seems they are giving it out while supplies last. The Yorkdale location here in Toronto as well as NYC ran out of boxes already according to my SA.
While I currently don’t store my jewelry in boxes, I still would like to receive it as part of VCA packaging but it’s not a dealbreaker for me.
As for cleaning cloths, I’ve never gotten any since 2015. Not sure if it’s just specific to our location.

Reactions: fice16
Not so sure if VCA is all about ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) and anti-waste management/recycling.
One thing for sure - VCA still send out their extravagantly-designed paper cardboard holiday gifts this year.

Hopefully, VCA will re-direct their resources & design beautiful "eco-friendly" jewelry storage boxes for all customers, instead of designing beautiful decorative packaging that only delight certain customers.
tempImagepdKSJ4.png

Last edited:
Not so sure if VCA is all about ESG (Environmental, Social, Governance) and anti-waste management/recycling.
One thing for sure - VCA still send out their extravagantly-designed paper cardboard holiday gifts this year.

Hopefully, VCA will re-direct their resources & design beautiful "eco-friendly" jewelry storage boxes for all customers, instead of designing beautiful decorative packaging that only delight certain customers.
View attachment 5658635
Wow that is gorgeous! May I inquire what this is exactly?