New MK bags made of bonded leather

Ladies, I have just noticed that the description on MK's site has changed. Now it states that the Mercer tote is made of full-grain (!!!) pebbled leather, and the interior - of PVC (at least this one seems to be true).
I definitely do remember the site mentioning the bonded leather before. Have already sent the question to MK but probably someone of you know the answer - have they really changed the material used to make the Mercer tote or do they lie in the description?

Attachments

• IMG_7204.PNG
    IMG_7204.PNG
    186.9 KB · Views: 537
Ladies, I have just noticed that the description on MK's site has changed. Now it states that the Mercer tote is made of full-grain (!!!) pebbled leather, and the interior - of PVC (at least this one seems to be true).
I definitely do remember the site mentioning the bonded leather before. Have already sent the question to MK but probably someone of you know the answer - have they really changed the material used to make the Mercer tote or do they lie in the description?
They've changed the description of the Mercer so many times since it first came out. Seems suspicious to me. Leather backed with PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is essentially leather with a plastic backing. They used to use the term "bonded leather" to describe the Mercer. Seems like they stopped doing that because 'bonded leather' is a leather 'mulch' (leather scraps) mixed with adhesives to create a leather sheet. I think that's why they got away from that description and are now specifying the materials included in the bag. However, I'd still be careful because there have been too many description changes for my comfort level and there may still be Mercer inventory out there made of 'bonded leather.'

They've changed the description of the Mercer so many times since it first came out. Seems suspicious to me. Leather backed with PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is essentially leather with a plastic backing. They used to use the term "bonded leather" to describe the Mercer. Seems like they stopped doing that because 'bonded leather' is a leather 'mulch' (leather scraps) mixed with adhesives to create a leather sheet. I think that's why they got away from that description and are now specifying the materials included in the bag. However, I'd still be careful because there have been too many description changes for my comfort level and there may still be Mercer inventory out there made of 'bonded leather.'
You are absolutely right, the changes are endless :sad:
And full grain and bonded leather are an absolute opposites, one being one the the most expensive leathers out there while the other, as you've mentioned, is a total crap.
Actually, I do have one Mercer now at my disposal (ordered to see it live and to make a review) - it does neither feel nor smell like leather. And it's a real pity, because the form is just perfect and rather convenient to fit a 12" laptop, a camera, some notebooks and other essentials.

I agree, ladies. The description has changed so many times since the Mercer first debuted that I'm very suspicious of this new description & remain leery of buying one even though I like the style.

Reactions: spicestory

I agree, ladies. The description has changed so many times since the Mercer first debuted that I'm very suspicious of this new description & remain leery of buying one even though I like the style.

Yup, I agree. The [various versions of] the old description(s) of the Mercer since it first came out, as well as, the new description of the Mercer [all] sound very suspicious to me. Hence, I have no plans to add any Mercer bags and/or any Mercer SLGs to my collection any time soon.:no:

Last edited:
You are absolutely right, the changes are endless :sad:
And full grain and bonded leather are an absolute opposites, one being one the the most expensive leathers out there while the other, as you've mentioned, is a total crap.
Actually, I do have one Mercer now at my disposal (ordered to see it live and to make a review) - it does neither feel nor smell like leather. And it's a real pity, because the form is just perfect and rather convenient to fit a 12" laptop, a camera, some notebooks and other essentials.
Not to sound rude but if it's convenient for you then why is the leather a problem? Is it because the price point and quality that makes it an issue? I've been told so many different things about the mercer as well with different SA's. Are they allowed to lie to customers? If so then a couple have lied to me. Because according to them it's 100% real leather bonded to the PVC interior to give it structure. Also, Why would high end products in a couple posts back be made of bonded leather and still have the high price tag?

Reactions: keishapie1973
Hi, I just found this thread and I am a bit confused about this "bonded leather" discussion. I own a Mercer large tote and it´s definitely real pebbled leather on the outside. It has a very good quality and looks absolutely fab and lux. It´s my favorite MK bag :smile: .

Reactions: lotusflowerbaum
Hi, I just found this thread and I am a bit confused about this "bonded leather" discussion. I own a Mercer large tote and it´s definitely real pebbled leather on the outside. It has a very good quality and looks absolutely fab and lux. It´s my favorite MK bag :smile: .
Lots of confusion because MK kept changing the product description of the Mercer since it came out. No one is absolutely sure what it's made of. Some may be made of real pebbled leather and some may not. Buyer beware!

Not to sound rude but if it's convenient for you then why is the leather a problem? Is it because the price point and quality that makes it an issue? I've been told so many different things about the mercer as well with different SA's. Are they allowed to lie to customers? If so then a couple have lied to me. Because according to them it's 100% real leather bonded to the PVC interior to give it structure. Also, Why would high end products in a couple posts back be made of bonded leather and still have the high price tag?

Sorry, hadn't seen your reply before :smile: You are absolutely right, it may seem strange that liking the bag and finding it convenient I worry about the materials, but I'm a tactile person and love feeling good leather.
But not only this, there are more factors:
- first of all, I'd like to be sure of the materials used as this allows me to predict more or less how the bag would hold,
- second, value for money: I don't like the idea to pay a significant amount of money (and in Spain this models retails for 350 euros which is rather expensive) for the bag made of plastic,
-and last but not least - hate being deceived. Why the description on the official site does not agree with what SAs say? I personally went to MK official store and spoke to its manager. Asked what the bag is made of and when he told me it was 100% leather showed him the official page saying the interior is PVC. The guy was surprised :smile: Tried to explain that the lining was meant, but not, the lining was mentioned separately. In a week he sent me an email stating that the Mercer Tote is totally made of high quality leather. But the web is still mentioning PVC. Whom should I believe and should I? Finally I decided that it's not the bag I can not live without, and suppose there are more similar cases.

Speaking about the hight end bags - unfortunately, lately neither the brand name nor the high price tag seem to guarantee high quality :sad:

Hi Sibelle! Could you tell for how long do you own the bag already? And how it's holding? Maybe you can show a photo of your bag?