New MK bags made of bonded leather

I notice they are no longer saying they are made of "bonded leather" on the site. It now states "100% full grain pebbled leather" so this must mean at least the newer ones are all leather? The lining also now states coated canvas --nothing about PVC

Yup, I agree. The [various versions of] the old description(s) of the Mercer since it first came out, as well as, the new description of the Mercer [all] sound very suspicious to me. Hence, I have no plans to add any Mercer bags and/or any Mercer SLGs to my collection any time soon.:no:
The duffel says it 100% leather, the heritage duffel says 100% coated canvas, the satchel says the exterior is 100% leather & interior coated canvas and the tote says exterior is 100% leather & interior textured PVC. Have these descriptions changed since the were first released?

I got first Mercer Satchel in Oyster color.
I think it not worth full price, it's seems "dead", not alive leather bag. I hope u understand that i meen
But i like like details - it so minimalistic
I have been using this bag for a month now and there's a long crease on both sides of the bag. Am not impress by the leather quality of this bag.
20170717_103939.jpg

Got a Walsh today. Despite not being an expert in leather, I feel the superior quality of the Walsh in saffiano leather.

20170717_103636.jpg

I have been using this bag for a month now and there's a long crease on both sides of the bag. Am not impress by the leather quality of this bag.
View attachment 3765666

Got a Walsh today. Despite not being an expert in leather, I feel the superior quality of the Walsh in saffiano leather.

View attachment 3765667
Saffiano (the industrial version, not the artisanal Italian version) is actually the cheaper kind of leather. It's highly processed to give it a virtually scratch-proof surface and to make it stiff. On the other hand, your pebble leather shows the suppleness of the hide. The crease on your bag is not ugly. It's just a sign of how supple leather transforms with age.

Saffiano (the industrial version, not the artisanal Italian version) is actually the cheaper kind of leather. It's highly processed to give it a virtually scratch-proof surface and to make it stiff. On the other hand, your pebble leather shows the suppleness of the hide. The crease on your bag is not ugly. It's just a sign of how supple leather transforms with age.
Thanks for the clear up. I guess I am just not a fan of the crease thus that judgement.

View attachment 3765666

View attachment 3765667

As @fabuleux suggested, you are comparing apples and oranges here.

Pebble leather is quite scratch resistant and quite durable (more so than smooth leathers; while I don't recommend it doing it often, my pebbled leather bags have survived more than a few downpours without looking any worse for wear), but it is also known to be softer and more supple with use. It is a great choice for those who like a little smush and slouch in their bags. If it gets a little creased, you can often work them out by stuffing it well when not using it.

Saffiano leather (often, as @fabuleux said, a "lesser grade" of leather at least when it comes to these contemporary bags) that is coated in wax, and then the wax is imprinted to give it texture. It is stiffer, water resistant, and maintains its structure very well (although it too can stretch out over time especially if you carry a lot of heavy items). However, if it DOES get a bend or crease it is pretty much impossible to work out (i.e. by stuffing, etc).

I have bags in pebble leather, smooth leather, saffiano leather, coated fabric, and nylon, including two pebble leather MKs They all have their personal characteristics and uses. Saffiano is great for bad weather days, and I especially love it in very small, very structured bags , but I admit my first love is a thick, chewy, smushy pebbled leather (though I admit I prefer some other brands pebbled leather to MMK's). It just feels more luxurious to me, and yes, I am that person who will sit there fondling my bag...:angel:

Reactions: Cilifene
Agree!.. :wave::drinks:

As @fabuleux suggested, you are comparing apples and oranges here.

Pebble leather is quite scratch resistant and quite durable (more so than smooth leathers; while I don't recommend it doing it often, my pebbled leather bags have survived more than a few downpours without looking any worse for wear), but it is also known to be softer and more supple with use. It is a great choice for those who like a little smush and slouch in their bags. If it gets a little creased, you can often work them out by stuffing it well when not using it.

Saffiano leather (often, as @fabuleux said, a "lesser grade" of leather at least when it comes to these contemporary bags) that is coated in wax, and then the wax is imprinted to give it texture. It is stiffer, water resistant, and maintains its structure very well (although it too can stretch out over time especially if you carry a lot of heavy items). However, if it DOES get a bend or crease it is pretty much impossible to work out (i.e. by stuffing, etc).

I have bags in pebble leather, smooth leather, saffiano leather, coated fabric, and nylon, including two pebble leather MKs They all have their personal characteristics and uses. Saffiano is great for bad weather days, and I especially love it in very small, very structured bags , but I admit my first love is a thick, chewy, smushy pebbled leather (though I admit I prefer some other brands pebbled leather to MMK's). It just feels more luxurious to me, and yes, I am that person who will sit there fondling my bag...:angel:

Well said ... :wave::tup::yes: