New H Policy

I'm ok with this new "policy" since I find removing the stickers to be a PITA. I often times miss a sticker or 2, so if someone wants to do this for me, go for it. I also have the tendency to want to a use a new bag at the last minute, so then I'm rushing trying to peel stickers off.

I doubt this is a way to deter resellers, but maybe it's a way to make sure people aren't leaving stickers on and then complaining down the road that their hardware is damaged. Or maybe it's a way to make sure people aren't buying bags, using them, and then returning them as new? Maybe without the stickers the store would be more easily able to tell if the bag has been used (finger prints, scratches, etc.)?

Heard that this new "policy" has started in Hong Kong and Macau since April. As far as I understand, the "policy" is not relevant to discouraging resellers (balancing demand and supply will be more effective IMO), but to reduce the frequency of repair work/cost caused by customers not removing the stickers after purchase. I was told by my SA that a customer took a Kelly wallet back for repair because the hardware was damaged by the left on stickers. The wallet was needed to send back to Paris for hardware exchange. Guess maintenance cases like this happen frequently in both cities.

^^ Humidity trapped under plastic stickers causes the little nails to oxidize on the top. Have seen it over and over.

Not just the nails...I left one sticker on my hardware on a B for maybe a year (I actually forgot about it) and the whole closure oxidized and there's a shadowy mark. I always take the hardware off asap now.

Yes this!

I think this has been pretty standard practice outside the US (at least on those occasions when I have purchased overseas, the SA has routinely removed the plastic from bags and the tags from everything else), so perhaps H is just bringing all markets into line with the same purchase procedure. I agree, if this is an attempt to deter resellers, it seems feeble.

I just got 2 Birkins in the past month - one in Paris in June and one in HK just last week. In Paris they did not remove the stickers. But in HK they did and told me it was the new policy. I didn't care either way, I would have removed the sticker anyway.

I think this has been pretty standard practice outside the US (at least on those occasions when I have purchased overseas, the SA has routinely removed the plastic from bags and the tags from everything else), so perhaps H is just bringing all markets into line with the same purchase procedure. I agree, if this is an attempt to deter resellers, it seems feeble.

+1 (I'm in northern Europe.)

Maybe this is also a cultural thing, how you understand or like this policy? I think of it like a service when I buy something expensive; I want the store to prepare the item for me so I can use it right away, maybe, if I want to, on my way home from the boutique (like a shawl). Stickers and tags are - for me - something you leave on cheaper items like food, hygiene items and cheaper clothes. If I buy something more expensive I expect the store to take all tags, stickers and so away.

Here it's an "old fashion" way to be polite and to take care of the customer and to show that "this is not a cheap store". In other countries it might mean something else :smile:

I got a Birkin from my local store in south east asia in april, another Birkin from H USA in May and a Kelly from FSH in june. None of the plastics were removed. I hope this new policy is random..

I'm in the US and bought a Lindy last week. As it was in the display case, I am guessing there was some protection on the handles and straps that had been removed. The hardware though still had the plastic on and my SA didn't remove it.

I hope this does not become a policy for CDCs as it is a little ritual for me to remove the plastic and I also like to leave the plastic under the ring as long as possible to prevent the smiley scratch. I got a CDC from H.com that had no plastic and was quite disappointed.