Never Exchange, Always Return/Repurchase

Maybe it was necessary? Buying hard to find bags on impulse and then keeping them for almost 2 weeks during the Holidays sucks for those of us trying to find gifts for others. Then buying bags and returning them because you can get credit card points somewhere else? That’s two bags that others think they are buying brand new that have been sitting around someone else’s house? It was rude for the associate to say because this isn’t a bargain mart and they have to show some class. But, I would be extremely embarrassed to come on here admitting that I bought and returned bags like that. The return policy is a courtesy. When you are returning something to get get credit card points elsewhere you are abusing it. No consideration for others.

I have to disagree. It was a bag, it's not like she was keeping a Kidney from someone who desperately needed one. She saw she could get a better deal elsewhere, I don't see why she should be embarrassed about it. I think it would only be embarrassing if she had used it and then tried to return it. It doesn't seem like that's the case here so honestly I don't mind if she returned it or not as long as it was within the proper time frame. It's not their fault the SA failed to explain what that time frame was.

Is this refund / exchange 14 days only for store brought ? Because in uk it’s 30 days ,I just checked my invoice I received from my order yesterday .
Different countries offer different policies. Until fairly recently, you couldn't get a refund on store bought items in the UK, you could only exchange/credit note. I bet there was a lot less impulse shopping under those rules!

By law over here, they have to offer a refund service on online sales and always have had to.

I have to disagree. It was a bag, it's not like she was keeping a Kidney from someone who desperately needed one. She saw she could get a better deal elsewhere, I don't see why she should be embarrassed about it. I think it would only be embarrassing if she had used it and then tried to return it. It doesn't seem like that's the case here so honestly I don't mind if she returned it or not as long as it was within the proper time frame. It's not their fault the SA failed to explain what that time frame was.
Thank you for this. I've never ever returned anything I'd already used (I.e. Worn out of the house). In fact I'm very careful with the item and handle it sparingly until I'm absolutely certain I'm keeping it.

Also, I typically don't wait until Day 13 of the 14 day window to return. Normally I'll take it back within 3-4 days. It's just that Thanksgiving fell in between Nov 18 and Dec 1. And things got pretty busy so I didn't deal with the bag until after Thanksgiving.

Reactions: SpeedyJC
I’ve experienced the same thing with them ignoring and not replying to customer emails and outreach online. Do they keep it documented somewhere? Seems amazing to me that they would essentially ignore customers who reach out about a purchase they’ve made and the emails just disappear. There should be consistent and timely follow up as part of the LV purchase experience.

Same experience here. I have sent probably 3 emails in through the LV website (while logged into my account) over the past 2 weeks. No responses whatsoever. Not even a "we received your email." Nice.

I also notice they've completely removed the chat option.

Last edited:
Hi all, I wanted to share a story. The moral of the story is Never Exchange, Always Return/Repurchase.

On Nov 18 my mom and I went to the boutique in the Houston Galleria. I wasn't planning on buying anything, but long story short, there was a Palm Springs mini that I bought impulsively. I bought because it was hard to find, not because I really wanted it. I didn't have my preferred credit card with me (since I wasn't planning on buying anything that day)....so my mom graciously offered to put it on her card, and I'd pay her back.

Within the 14 day return window, I regretted my impulse purchase and took the PS mini back on Dec 1. That day my mom chose a Clery for herself and I chose a Croisette. I paid for the Croisette with my own card this time.

We asked the SA to process the return on the PS mini and then my mom would buy the Clery (For Herself). The SA insisted it was easier to Do an Exchange, since it was all happening with my mom's card. We said OK since she said it was easier "and you don't want too many charges on the card".

Today, Dec 5, only four days later, my mom decided to return the bag (so she could buy the same one at Saks....for the Chase rebates there). The SA refused to allow the return, saying it was Past the 14 days of Original Puchase Date of Nov 18. The Manager also refused to allow the return. My parents had to argue with them until my mom finally said, "the original purchase was for my Daughter. This purchase is for Me. The SA knew this. I told the SA to do a Return/Repurchase but she insisted on an Exchange." So the SA knowingly took away my mom's right to a 14 day return window on this bag.

The Manager finally agreed. Then the SA told my parents, "Don't come back and buy anything until you are Sure about what you want."

So.....I hope this helps someone. If you do an Exchange, you don't have 14 days to return the exchanged item. I know this is to prevent people from endlessly exchanging and prolonging the return period by 2 weeks every time. But since our situation was different (first bag was for me, second bag for my mom), that wasn't what we were trying to do. And it was made much worse by the SA misleading us into the Exchange and then lecturing my parents not to come back.

So.....always Return and Repurchase. Never Exchange!

Also, go to Saks to buy your LV in the Houston Galleria!

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this policy. I get that LV needs to be careful because of fakes, scams, etc. but when they treat customers like they are criminals trying to pull a fast one I lose my s**t. Part of what we pay all that money for is the luxury experience and LV has been sorely lacking in that department for quite awhile. I'd prefer they save money on the little bottles of water they give out if you're buying something or the flutes of champagne at their events and spend it instead on customer service, policy and product training for their SA's and managers. I cringe when I buy something, even in a store, because I know that if there is an issue post-purchase you all of a sudden are treated like a persona non grata. It's infuriating.

This post seems a bit harsh; unless you’re the lone exception, most of us have had an impulse purchase or two in our lifetime.

LV has a 14 day return policy as long as the item is in unused condition, this includes if said item was “sitting around someone else’s house”. Personally, I don’t consider it abusive to return a purchase in order to buy it elsewhere for a better deal. If within the time allotted, you can return for any reason or no reason at all as long as it is unused.

Also ones consideration for others shouldn’t be determined by a single online post.

I disagree. Lots of people, like @NLVOEWITHLV have said, make impulse purchases here and there. Brands have a return policy so that they can invite consumers to take a chance on products they might otherwise hesitate to buy and what OP did was exactly what a return policy is for. She took a chance on the item and ended knowing that it isn't for her so she brought it back.

And so what if the bag was sitting in someone else's house? If the bag was not brought back in a sellable condition the store would then have the right to deny the return. Sitting in the stock room, sitting in the closet, what's the difference?

And "sucks for those of us trying to find gifts for others during the holiday season"? Please, so you didn't come across the bag you want in time, tough luck. Next time do your Christmas shopping in June. :huh:

On the first purchase, I never would have done it in the first place. She said she didn’t want the bag and she only bought it because it was hard to find. So basically she grabbed it because she knew other people wanted it. She had an impulse to buy it so no one else could have it. And then she kept it for almost 2 weeks. To me, that’s inconsiderate. To the SAs and to other people who really want the item. Obviously she thinks it’s ok and I see now that others do too. I simply would not manipulate a return policy because I couldn’t control my impulse to grab a bag because others were desperately searching for it.

Then the second return because she could get Chase credit card points somewhere? :hrmm:

All I said was maybe it was necessary to say something? Because a return policy is to allow a customer a bit of peace that a decision isn’t final or that if there is a flaw found that the company will take it back. It’s not an excuse to not think through your purchase, waste peoples time, hoard bags from others because that’s your impulse or give you a chance to figure out your credit card points after a purchase. It’s not meant as a way for people to borrow merchandise and then get their **** together.

Last edited:
Reactions: pearlsnjeans
On the first purchase, I never would have done it in the first place. She said she didn’t want the bag and she only bought it because it was hard to find. So basically she grabbed it because she knew other people wanted it. She had an impulse to buy it so no one else could have it. And then she kept it for almost 2 weeks. To me, that’s inconsiderate. To the SAs and to other people who really want the item. Obviously she thinks it’s ok and I see now that others do too. I simply would not manipulate a return policy because I couldn’t control my impulse to grab a bag because others were desperately searching for it.

It is a handbag, not a kidney.
It is a HANDBAG, not a KIDNEY.

No one's going to die from not getting it. People jump at making purchases because of scarcity all the time. It really is ok to have buyer remorse and I'm sure as h*ll not gonna give a sh*t when I get my stuff and other people don't. I understand the obsession for handbags and but people need to get over themselves if they feel desperate over not being able to acquire a consumer product.

Then the second return because she could get Chase credit card points somewhere? :hrmm:

All I said was maybe it was necessary to say something? Because a return policy is to allow a customer a bit of peace that a decision isn’t final or that if there is a flaw found that the company will take it back. It’s not an excuse to not think through your purchase, waste peoples time, hoard bags from others because that’s your impulse or give you a chance to figure out your credit card points after a purchase. It’s not meant as a way for people to borrow merchandise and then get their **** together.

So...some backstory that might help explain myself ....I actually did want the PS mini. I didn't buy it because I was trying to Take it Away from others. Actually I'd been contemplating a mini backpack purchase from Fendi for a long time, and was just about to pull the trigger on a Fendi backpack. I knew the PS mini existed but didn't put it on my Serious Wish List because I knew it was impossible to find! So I didn't do too much research on the PS mini. The day I saw it, on Nov 18, I couldn't believe they have one! And that's why I bought it, even though I was *completely unprepared* to purchase that day. Therefore I called that an Impulse Buy. I just wasn't expecting it to appear.

So, yes, the PS mini wasn't on my Serious Wish List, because I didn't think I could get one! Once I got home, though, I *thoroughly* compared the specs to the Fendi backpack I was originally planning to buy. Because let's face it....if you had a choice between LV and Fendi, you'd buy LV right?

But in the end, the Fendi backpack was better for me, for various reasons. (I actually also got the Fendi backpack, in addition to the Croisette I ended up getting Here.)

Also, I normally take things back within 3-4 days. It only took me 13 days to return the backpack because Thanksgiving happened and life got busy.

About the Chase points, yes, my mom decided she wanted the points and returned the Clery on Day 4. I don't see anything wrong with that since she hadn't used it.

Anyway, the "rude" comment from the SA served its purpose. We won't ever be going back to that store again. So the SA got what she wanted too!!

Hindsight is usually 20/20. The OP is posting this after the fact. I think I can say with certainty we’ve all been there before. If you have never had an impulse buy you’re probably the only woman in history who hasn’t!

You’re mixing up two different people, OP made one return, then her mom made the other return to get points.

Imo age can also play into this. When I was in my 20’s I shopped impulsively ALL THE TIME! Now that I’m in my 30’s I think my purchases through because I don’t like the hassle of going back to return. With that being said, I recently wanted a PT26 (they only had jungle print), I bought it hoping I could deal with the pattern but it wasn’t what I wanted. I realized this a day or so later and I returned it, no harm, no foul. You’re in your 40’s with different life experiences so of course your views may vary from OP’s or even my own.

The fact of the matter is that LV accepts all returns within 14 days (as long as item is unused). Therefore, regardless of anyone’s opinion (including yours) the OP did nothing wrong by utilizing this policy to return her item.

Also said merchandise wasn’t “borrowed” if OP paid thousands of dollars to take it home with her.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpeedyJC
It is a HANDBAG, not a KIDNEY.

No one's going to die from not getting it. People jump at making purchases because of scarcity all the time. It really is ok to have buyer remorse and I'm sure as h*ll not gonna give a sh*t when I get my stuff and other people don't. I understand the obsession for handbags and but people need to get over themselves if they feel desperate over not being able to acquire a consumer product.
Yup! LV also feeds into this phenomenon by now making damn near anything canvas and popular even more scarce!!!

The facts are:
1. The first bag was returned within proper timeframe
2. It was in unused condition (they would not have excepted it otherwise)
3. The exchange policy was not explained to the customer
4. Salesperson behaved unprofessionally

The rest is your opinion and I do not agree with you as many others.

Thank you, I wasn't aware of this policy. I get that LV needs to be careful because of fakes, scams, etc. but when they treat customers like they are criminals trying to pull a fast one I lose my s**t. Part of what we pay all that money for is the luxury experience and LV has been sorely lacking in that department for quite awhile. I'd prefer they save money on the little bottles of water they give out if you're buying something or the flutes of champagne at their events and spend it instead on customer service, policy and product training for their SA's and managers. I cringe when I buy something, even in a store, because I know that if there is an issue post-purchase you all of a sudden are treated like a persona non grata. It's infuriating.

I’ve never made a full return, only a couple exchanges, but when I did I felt very uncomfortable how I was treated.

I returned a mono Artsy and TP26 jungle print for the Empreinte Artsy, matching Zippy, and Key Pouch. I had only had the mono items overnight and the SA’s asked me repeatedly if it had been used, they then proceeded to have 3 people check every inch of the bag to confirm that it was unused (this was all done in front of me). I was so confused, I felt like they didn’t believe me.

Reactions: onlyk