Never Exchange, Always Return/Repurchase

i agree with OP, i learned the hard way with an online purchase. i thought if i exchanged, i would have 14 days to evaluate. with shipping, that was cut to literally no time to return. fortunately, i was able to get them to make a one time exception, but honestly i will never do that again. i will simply return and start again. i hadn't considered the same day issue. who would have thought that you would need to wait a day for the next purchase in order for it not to merge with the original one. oh well, now we know.

Is the 14 day return policy counted for the day they ship the item or the day you receive it? That sounds crazy that they would essentially give online shoppers a narrower return window because of shipping time!

Is the 14 day return policy counted for the day they ship the item or the day you receive it? That sounds crazy that they would essentially give online shoppers a narrower return window because of shipping time!
here's what i've been told , but this goes back several years. at that time i was told that although the policy states ( i believe on the website) that it runs from the date of purchase, that they understand that more leeway is required for website orders. having said that, when i went in to return a website order at a store, it happened to be 13 or 14 days from the date of the original order and the sa who was one of the more experienced ones there said, " oh, you made it just in time". in my opinion, the online cs is not what it once was, so i would not have to rely on their giving more leeway. therefore, i try to stay well within my dates and at least make sure that the website order has been shipped back before that period elapses. the problem i find with the online cs is that even if i ask for a supervisor, usually i am told they are not available to speak and they have never called back when i requested that. in fact it was during that exchange experience that i waited for a call back that was promised but never happened. i then called back again and they allowed the return. i just feel like it is hit or miss with the online cs at this time.

Reactions: Runisaa
I had been wondering this as well. I thought I was told before it was the day that it was received. I have something that I was thinking about returning tried calling customer service and was on hold forever. So I sent a message via Twitter and still 24+ hours later I have not received a response. And between the ship date and the date that I received it it was pretty much a week with the Thanksgiving holiday. They don't make it too easy to get A return authorization.

I had been wondering this as well. I thought I was told before it was the day that it was received. I have something that I was thinking about returning tried calling customer service and was on hold forever. So I sent a message via Twitter and still 24+ hours later I have not received a response. And between the ship date and the date that I received it it was pretty much a week with the Thanksgiving holiday. They don't make it too easy to get A return authorization.

I’ve experienced the same thing with them ignoring and not replying to customer emails and outreach online. Do they keep it documented somewhere? Seems amazing to me that they would essentially ignore customers who reach out about a purchase they’ve made and the emails just disappear. There should be consistent and timely follow up as part of the LV purchase experience.

Yikes, I think that comment the SA made to your parents was rather rude and unnecessary. I think the policy should have been explained better to you and your mom the first time.

Maybe it was necessary? Buying hard to find bags on impulse and then keeping them for almost 2 weeks during the Holidays sucks for those of us trying to find gifts for others. Then buying bags and returning them because you can get credit card points somewhere else? That’s two bags that others think they are buying brand new that have been sitting around someone else’s house? It was rude for the associate to say because this isn’t a bargain mart and they have to show some class. But, I would be extremely embarrassed to come on here admitting that I bought and returned bags like that. The return policy is a courtesy. When you are returning something to get get credit card points elsewhere you are abusing it. No consideration for others.

I’ve experienced the same thing with them ignoring and not replying to customer emails and outreach online. Do they keep it documented somewhere? Seems amazing to me that they would essentially ignore customers who reach out about a purchase they’ve made and the emails just disappear. There should be consistent and timely follow up as part of the LV purchase experience.
Well over 24 hours later I did get a response. My 14 days if I go by when it was received (7 days after I ordered) I would have to have it back to them by Monday which is not possible for UPS Ground which they pay for so I assume if it is en route I am ok. Or maybe since the return is initiated if it arrives within a reasonable timeframe near 14 day mark it is ok.

Maybe it was necessary? Buying hard to find bags on impulse and then keeping them for almost 2 weeks during the Holidays sucks for those of us trying to find gifts for others. Then buying bags and returning them because you can get credit card points somewhere else? That’s two bags that others think they are buying brand new that have been sitting around someone else’s house? It was rude for the associate to say because this isn’t a bargain mart and they have to show some class. But, I would be extremely embarrassed to come on here admitting that I bought and returned bags like that. The return policy is a courtesy. When you are returning something to get get credit card points elsewhere you are abusing it. No consideration for others.

This post seems a bit harsh; unless you’re the lone exception, most of us have had an impulse purchase or two in our lifetime.

LV has a 14 day return policy as long as the item is in unused condition, this includes if said item was “sitting around someone else’s house”. Personally, I don’t consider it abusive to return a purchase in order to buy it elsewhere for a better deal. If within the time allotted, you can return for any reason or no reason at all as long as it is unused.

Also ones consideration for others shouldn’t be determined by a single online post.

I disagree. Lots of people, like @NLVOEWITHLV have said, make impulse purchases here and there. Brands have a return policy so that they can invite consumers to take a chance on products they might otherwise hesitate to buy and what OP did was exactly what a return policy is for. She took a chance on the item and ended knowing that it isn't for her so she brought it back.

And so what if the bag was sitting in someone else's house? If the bag was not brought back in a sellable condition the store would then have the right to deny the return. Sitting in the stock room, sitting in the closet, what's the difference?

And "sucks for those of us trying to find gifts for others during the holiday season"? Please, so you didn't come across the bag you want in time, tough luck. Next time do your Christmas shopping in June. :huh:

Thanks for this thread. I’ve never had to return an item but I will keep this in mind. The SA was condescending and rude. My mother would’ve told her to kiss her ass in a very polite way (I love the way she does that) along with a few other choice words and I would’ve been there backing her up. Can SA’s generally afford LV? I would’ve asked her to focus on that and keep in mind that I only take purchase advice from individuals in a position to actually purchase the things that I do.

I think this experience is worthy of following up with corporate. Have you thought about it? That SA was over the top rude and definitely not warranted.
I've thought about it. But it would be a case of He Said She Said. After I posted my story I texted that SA to simply tell her that my parents told me what happened, and I was disappointed she treated them that way. That's all I said. She replied saying she was "Sure" she explained the company policy many times to both my mom and me. And in the end her manager said OK! to the return even though she Did Her Best."

In reality, She didn't explain anything about the shortened window at all, if you Exchange. So I've decided to let it go and just let y'all know to be careful.

(I did briefly consider returning my Croisette just to spite her. But who has the time and energy to hold on to spitefulness? So I'm keeping my Croisette. Also because I love her, she's the best little every day bag.)

Reactions: SeattleLVLover
I've thought about it. But it would be a case of He Said She Said. After I posted my story I texted that SA to simply tell her that my parents told me what happened, and I was disappointed she treated them that way. That's all I said. She replied saying she was "Sure" she explained the company policy many times to both my mom and me. And in the end her manager said OK! to the return even though she Did Her Best."

In reality, She didn't explain anything about the shortened window at all, if you Exchange. So I've decided to let it go and just let y'all know to be careful.

(I did briefly consider returning my Croisette just to spite her. But who has the time and energy to hold on to spitefulness? So I'm keeping my Croisette. Also because I love her, she's the best little every day bag.)

I think it's always best if possible to take the high road and allow that everyone can have that off day at work. If the end result is both you and your mom ended up with bags that you love, and you share with LV your experience as an opportunity to better educate customers on the returns process - it all comes out as win.

Reactions: miss_chiff
She wanted you to just do an exchange because they're on commission. If the SA or store receives an exchange, it is taken back out of their paycheck and/or deducted from the stores overall sales. Each store wants to be the highest selling. It had nothing to do with making it "easier" for you, as the customers. I hate commission sales!

Lesson 1- Protect yourself by reading and understanding return/exchange/refund policies before buying. For example, it appears that with LVs online store, returns are only within 14 days of the original purchase date (excluding watches and jewelry) and exchanges are within 1 month of the original purchase date. Times can be quite compressed when buying on line. For LV stores (not leased department store LVs), normally it is exchange or return for store credit within 1 month of the original purchase date to any LV store, or return for a full refund within 14 days of the original purchase date. Note the policy excludes watches and jewelry which are returnable for store credit only. During holiday time, merchandise purchased between 11/24/17-12/15/17 may be exchanged or returned by 1/15/18 for a gift card if the value is less than $10K or credit note if the value is greater than $10K. Merchandise (except for watches and jewelery) may be returned for a full refund within 30 days of the original purchase date if accompanied by the original sales receipt. No matter the time of year, personalized items are final sale.
Lesson 2- Unless there's been a very recent change, LV SAs don't work on commission. But even in non commission sales, there's incentive to be pleasant and helpful to each and every customer in order to keep complaints down, keep customers spending money, and thus maintain employment. Sales is sales whether its toilet brushes or $5K handbags so snobbery and rudeness should play no part in SA/customer interactions, yet it is a common customer complaint that some people selling certain brands of luxury cosmetics, clothing, or accessories mysteriously adopt and display an irritating air of superiority over their customers. Which brings us to lesson 3.
Lesson 3-Don't tolerate rudeness or shaming by sales people. Ever. The sole reason they are employed is to serve customers and sell product. Be pleasant, but do complain to management about poor service and give them a chance to make things right. That's what you would want to have happen if you owned the business. If they can't or won't, then take your business elsewhere, preferably to a different company all together. There are lots of pretty, quality handbags and other luxuries out there.