Scarves MYH's Scarf Showcase - and philosophical ramblings about how I built my collection

Thank you to the participators so far! We even got some to come out of lurkdom. :yahoo: If everyone doesn’t mind, I’m going to wait another day or so to get a few more responses. And please don’t be shy if your opinion is different than the ones we have seen so far.

Reactions: Angelian
My 1st pick is Fleurs d'Indiennes because I have that exact scarf. Though it's likely that I'll convert the scarf into a pillow because it will go with a new sofa that I ordered.
I also love Chasse en Inde, but not in that particular color way. I have Pique Fleuri as a CSGM as well as Collier Des Chiens.

Oh this is fun!! As a guy who loves H scarves, I find that the rules are a bit different for me in regards to what is ageing vs what is not. Sometimes I feel like [at least in my own mind HAHA] I could get away with more "matronly" patterns just for the sheer irony of a 30-something man wearing a 90cm H scarf with small flowers on it. Not that I gravitate towards small, floral patterns [most of you know that I don't] but I do wear a lot of different styles with different knots and I never feel self-conscious about any of them ageing me [not even my maxi-twilly tied in a Thatcher-esque bow! haha]. That said, I can understand how some ladies may feel the way they do about particular patterns and ways of knotting. I do feel rather strongly, though, that it's mostly about the attitude and confidence displayed by a wearer of any sex as to how a certain look is perceived by others.

In regards to the activity:
Fleurs d’Indiennes would be my first choice. I love the colorway and as it has sorta a retro-70s feel to it, the outfit pictures would be the perfect one to showcase a scarf like this. Chasse en Inde or Colliers de Chiens would both be good second options. I love that the Chasse would create a soft, somewhat monochromatic look whilst the Colliers has similar colors but is bolder.

Pique Fleuri de Provence was never a fave of mine and that particular colorway even less so. It reminds me of a quilt and though I'm sure it would look great on certain people, it is not the most versatile in color or pattern.
You are so awesome!

Collier de chien is my first choice for its fresh colors then Fleurs d'indiennes (love the design but this color way is too complementary to the outfit), then Pique Fleuri ( which I actually own in this color and I am Bavarian:smile:. Chasse en Inde is completely out.
Happy New year to all!

How fun- My picks: CdC, second choice FdI- great ground rules dear. I like the CDC for graphic impact and a bit more color pop to this neutral outfit(very similar to my everyday uniform). Plus i am a yin yang girl, i like balancing warm and cool tones, so the blues in CdC help balance and contrast against the pale rose beige sweater. FdI is okay too for the scale, but sometimes the florals overwhelm the face imo. My least favorite are the chasse en inde and last choice is pique flueri due to busy design and too much symmetry. I had the pique flueri in csgm, and it always made me feel like i was in Bavaria lol. I have Chasse en Inde in brighter colorways, in klein blue summer silk, fuschia 90 fringe cashmere and hot pink and orange. This blue one shown is a bit too pale though ok for understated look.
I like your comment of balancing cool and warm tones, @lanit ! I’ve never thought about color that way. You do it beautifully.

Reactions: lanit
I’m stepping out of my lurking-mode of this thread, because I want to play stylist! :biggrin:

The only option for me to keep the outfit “fresh” would be the Colliers de Chiens.
I want the overall “vibe” of an outfit to match with the “vibe” of a scarf. This way it becomes part of and complements the outfit, rather than the scarf being the “star of the show”. This outfit (modern, clean lines, few colours, no frills, not girly etc) needs a scarf that has the same characteristics and a strong print. Even the CdC is a bit too busy to my liking, because of the borders. I would pick something like Hermès Electrique.

View attachment 3921890
OK, that was very strange - it’s like you read my mind! I agree 1000% with you! Especially because I have Electrique and love it! :lol:

Reactions: Angelian
I would pick fleurs d’Indiennes because it has a colourful, fun and cheerful vibe!
That's my pick too, fun and flowy. I also love yellow and white together (very fresh) and I like the way the white in the flowers ties to the jeans. Colliers is my #2, again the white, but a more contrasty look with the orange, and the spiky designs of the collars giving an edgy modern vibe. Chasse for #3, although not with enthusiasm, somehow this colorway says 'dull" to me rather than "sophisticated neutral". The Pique I just sorta don't get, so that's my #4.

Reactions: Joannadyne
I'm popping on to share a quote that I read years ago, I want to guess that it was by Tom Ford, but I'm really not sure. It went something like: Any bag on a cool girl is a cool bag, and vice versa. I think the same goes for general style. My personal opinion is that as far as scarf CW, small patterns, large solid color hems etc., it only matters as far as it goes with the person's over-all style. If someone dresses, does their grooming, has an attitude...whatever...in a way that comes across as, take your pick: matronly, "old", conservative, classic, preppy, staid, well, the scarf will reflect that. A very cool woman in her 70s can make any scarf appear cool...and therefore "young", modern and intriguing. And I am not saying there is anything wrong with wanting to appear more conservative, but whimsy tends to lend itself to implying "youthful" and open-mindedness. I also think that we can change our outfits to suit our moods and the environment that we are wearing them in, so there is plenty of room in our wardrobes for scarves that evoke different types of visual appeal and emotions.
For the outfit in the "choose your scarf" post, I would pick a neutral bandana print, maybe in cotton. This is such a fun thread to pop back in and read because it is ever-changing. Thanks, MYH!

Delurking to say that while I was already enjoying reading along before, I find the conversation so much more fun and relaxing when the goal is to avoid "frumpy" and "dowdy," which anyone can be at any age.

Except maybe Lupita Nyong'o. Put her in that outfit with any of those scarves, and she looks great. And even if most of us aren't Lupita Nyong'o, there is a right person and a right look for every scarf.

That said, I like very much to look for principles that work for certain groups of us. That is a huge part of the fun of talking fashion! My mom thought I looked great in everything (or at least, that I would have looked great if only I would smile and get my hair out of my face and not wear so much black all the time), which was very sweet and dear of her but not always useful.

Almost all the principles MYH proposed in her first post on the topic apply to me--right now, anyway (we all change, of course)--and I appreciate her articulating them. Thank you, MYH, for this extremely interesting discussion.

On to the poll. All these scarves are risky for me: florals and jewelry and small patterns on scarves tend to be my one-way ticket to Dowdyville. However:

In regards to the activity:
Fleurs d’Indiennes would be my first choice. I love the colorway and as it has sorta a retro-70s feel to it, the outfit pictures would be the perfect one to showcase a scarf like this. .

My #1 is also FdI, for the 70s-vibe described above. Though there could be some risk of fussy-floral, the larger pattern with gentle lines can be worn to look retro-chic and modern. I am wary of gold for MYH's reasons (and because I learned the hard way), but pale yellow and brown are kind to me, and there is energy in the blues and the stripiness.

Chasse en Inde would have worked with my boho, unstructured, I-love-India-so-much-except-I-don't-really-know-anything-about-it look in college. I remember that look fondly but do not need to revisit it (and especially not the clove cigarettes). Someone of any age who does that floaty windswept Far- and Near Eastern accented look could do a good job with this outfit and scarf and some chandelier earrings, in my opinion. No clove cigarettes required.

I see what folks are getting at with the CdC, but on me, scarves with any kind of jewelry (whether for dogs or people) look frumpy, and I stay away. PdF becomes a tablecloth pattern on me, sad to say. It is the chic-est little thing in gavroche format on bunnycat, but it takes a surer, hipper hand than mine to make it work.

For myself, I have a white-and-black-and-beige Onde de Chic plisse that is my favorite thing in the world right now. With the outfit in the poll, I would wear it wrapped once or twice around and tied very casually, with some oversized but minimalist wire earrings.

HERMES_onde_de_chic_black_and_white_scarf_118576_1_1_master.jpg

Last edited:
Hey scarfies!! Happy New Year!! Hopefully, you are not nursing a hangover from last night. Luckily, I am not even though I had a few drinks so I am a happy camper. :biggrin:

So....I have been asked by quite a few people if we could circle back to the “aging scarf” topic because they find it fascinating and want to learn and hear others opinions. I’m willing to give it a try but thought some ground rules might be good? I think the discussion can only be honest and frank if everyone feels comfortable sharing their true opinions without fear it will cause animosity. So here’s what I was thinking....I’ll try not to be too verbose.

1. Please don’t take every word literally. We are not professional writers and for some of us, English is not our first language. So if someone uses the word “old”, it doesn’t mean they are ageist or prejudice against someone because of their age. Perhaps a more accurate word could be older, mature, matronly, oldish, frumpy, etc. Just read for the general gist the writer is trying to express. Quick example, I have a male friend who loves Hermes scarves. When we go scarf shopping together, he will ask me “Does this make me look girly?” He does not mean he thinks girls are ugly, he doesn’t think it’s inferior to be a girl vs a boy, he does not hate girls, he doesn’t think it’s wrong to look like a girl, and he is not sexist. But I know what he means. Does this make sense?

2. Can we not post pics of scarves tied on ourselves and then ask everyone if the scarf looks aging? I would say most of us would not feel comfortable giving our true opinions because it’s now become too personal. If you really want an honest answer, I would suggest laying the scarf flat on the floor, tie a knot and lay it on the floor, or take a screen shot from google images.

3. Let’s not turn this into a debate about who’s wrong and who’s right. If some people engage in this discussion with the goal of only proving their point, I don’t think it will be productive. I dont’ think there are any right or wrong answers and we may all have differing opinions. But as with any discussion, I think there will be a majority and a minority. If you’re in the minority, that’s ok. Your opinion doesn’t have to be the same as everyone else’s.

4. If this is a really sensitive topic for you or if you know you will get upset if some people say some negative things about scarves in your collection, then please skip this thread for the next couple of days. Know yourself and what you can handle.

I myself am curious to learn too!! I have my own opinions but they are not set in stone.

OK to kick off the discussion, I thought we could do a poll. Let’s play stylist. You have been invited to a casual birthday party. This is your outfit (I hope most of us agree this is a good outfit). Do keep in mind the jeans can be blue or another color. But this is the general look. If you hate this outfit, perhaps it’s better to not participate in the poll.

You want to wear a 90cm Hermes scarf but want to keep your look “fresh” and not “frumpy”. Rank the following scarves in order of favorite to least favorite. Which scarf would you choose and why? If you really dislike all of the 4 options, please post a pic of a scarf you like better. After we get some responses on the scarves, we can talk about which scarf knots you think would work.
View attachment 3921782

View attachment 3921798

Fleur d’indiennes would be most chic! The scale of the flowers are just big enough.

Tie format: loosely tied on bias with irregular length (to exaggerate one tail’s length over other)

Hey scarfies!! Happy New Year!! Hopefully, you are not nursing a hangover from last night. Luckily, I am not even though I had a few drinks so I am a happy camper. :biggrin:

So....I have been asked by quite a few people if we could circle back to the “aging scarf” topic because they find it fascinating and want to learn and hear others opinions. I’m willing to give it a try but thought some ground rules might be good? I think the discussion can only be honest and frank if everyone feels comfortable sharing their true opinions without fear it will cause animosity. So here’s what I was thinking....I’ll try not to be too verbose.

1. Please don’t take every word literally. We are not professional writers and for some of us, English is not our first language. So if someone uses the word “old”, it doesn’t mean they are ageist or prejudice against someone because of their age. Perhaps a more accurate word could be older, mature, matronly, oldish, frumpy, etc. Just read for the general gist the writer is trying to express. Quick example, I have a male friend who loves Hermes scarves. When we go scarf shopping together, he will ask me “Does this make me look girly?” He does not mean he thinks girls are ugly, he doesn’t think it’s inferior to be a girl vs a boy, he does not hate girls, he doesn’t think it’s wrong to look like a girl, and he is not sexist. But I know what he means. Does this make sense?

2. Can we not post pics of scarves tied on ourselves and then ask everyone if the scarf looks aging? I would say most of us would not feel comfortable giving our true opinions because it’s now become too personal. If you really want an honest answer, I would suggest laying the scarf flat on the floor, tie a knot and lay it on the floor, or take a screen shot from google images.

3. Let’s not turn this into a debate about who’s wrong and who’s right. If some people engage in this discussion with the goal of only proving their point, I don’t think it will be productive. I dont’ think there are any right or wrong answers and we may all have differing opinions. But as with any discussion, I think there will be a majority and a minority. If you’re in the minority, that’s ok. Your opinion doesn’t have to be the same as everyone else’s.

4. If this is a really sensitive topic for you or if you know you will get upset if some people say some negative things about scarves in your collection, then please skip this thread for the next couple of days. Know yourself and what you can handle.

I myself am curious to learn too!! I have my own opinions but they are not set in stone.

OK to kick off the discussion, I thought we could do a poll. Let’s play stylist. You have been invited to a casual birthday party. This is your outfit (I hope most of us agree this is a good outfit). Do keep in mind the jeans can be blue or another color. But this is the general look. If you hate this outfit, perhaps it’s better to not participate in the poll.

You want to wear a 90cm Hermes scarf but want to keep your look “fresh” and not “frumpy”. Rank the following scarves in order of favorite to least favorite. Which scarf would you choose and why? If you really dislike all of the 4 options, please post a pic of a scarf you like better. After we get some responses on the scarves, we can talk about which scarf knots you think would work.
View attachment 3921782

View attachment 3921798
Colliers de chien first, Fleurs d'indiennes, Chasse en Inde and Piqué Fleuri.