My Fair Constance

OOOO, I have your sister ! It is the most classic combo and is so fabuous! I have looked high and low in my bag for a date stamp and have yet to find it, go figure! Enjoy it!

OOOO, I have your sister ! It is the most classic combo and is so fabuous! I have looked high and low in my bag for a date stamp and have yet to find it, go figure! Enjoy it!
*waving at ya, sister!* ok, now i dont feel like such a doofus with the datestamp! it would be nice to know exactly when it was produced, though.

*waving at ya, sister!* ok, now i dont feel like such a doofus with the datestamp! it would be nice to know exactly when it was produced, though.

Waving back at ya! My feeling is that it is only within the last 15 years that we have become obsessed with date stamps and that is mainly on Birkins and Kellys. Hermes may think that the "other" bags are not as copied tho I can tell you (because I have seen one) that the Constance was copied quite a bit. Lederer was copying Constance and Kelly for quite a while, but their Constance will not have any of the proper stamping on the hardware or the leather. Given the increased number of Constance that I have seen in lately in boutiques, I would say that this is really being pushed for new popularity. The resale market prices will be going up for sure so be glad you have yours!

Waving back at ya! My feeling is that it is only within the last 15 years that we have become obsessed with date stamps and that is mainly on Birkins and Kellys. Hermes may think that the "other" bags are not as copied tho I can tell you (because I have seen one) that the Constance was copied quite a bit. Lederer was copying Constance and Kelly for quite a while, but their Constance will not have any of the proper stamping on the hardware or the leather. Given the increased number of Constance that I have seen in lately in boutiques, I would say that this is really being pushed for new popularity. The resale market prices will be going up for sure so be glad you have yours!
Wow, this is really great info. Thanks! I know that the Constance was quite popular in the 70's, when Jackie O wore it. (By the way, does anyone have a photo of Jackie O with her Constance? I've never been able to find one.) Gracekelly, the fakes that you've seen, were they new or vintage as well?

DC, the fake I saw was vintage and really beat up. I would say that it came from the 1970's or even earlier. It was a pretty good one and would fool most people if looked at from a distance. It was missing the important Hermes engraving on the gold H and the gold name (etc.) stamping. Of course the quality of the leather was not there which is probably why it go so beaten up. The shoulder strap was very inferior in regard to stitching etc.

Thanks Gracekelly. I do wish that the strap is longer. I'm 5'7", and even when I wear my bag long, it is still quite short. I was thinking of ordering a longer strap when I go pick up my bag, if that is possible.

I'm impressed with the leather on the Constance, but I'm even more amazed at how well the hardware aged considering that my bag is early 80's. Besides some scratches, there is no tarnish at all. It is really amazing when you think about it.

Thanks Gracekelly. I do wish that the strap is longer. I'm 5'7", and even when I wear my bag long, it is still quite short. I was thinking of ordering a longer strap when I go pick up my bag, if that is possible.

I'm impressed with the leather on the Constance, but I'm even more amazed at how well the hardware aged considering that my bag is early 80's. Besides some scratches, there is no tarnish at all. It is really amazing when you think about it.

I have never had the hardware tarnish on any bag. The plating is of such great quality. If necess for a little buff up, use a jeweler's rouge polishing cloth.:smile:

Can I pick your brain one last time, Gracekelly? Do you know if the hardware is brass or is it gold plated like the birkin/kellys? I assume that it's brass, since it's a pretty big H on the bag!

Can I pick your brain one last time, Gracekelly? Do you know if the hardware is brass or is it gold plated like the birkin/kellys? I assume that it's brass, since it's a pretty big H on the bag!

Goldplated as far as I know. Only the way older bags have brass. HG is the ultimate authority on this sort of thing, I defer to her.

I am afraid the stamp is all wrong with crowded letters and uneven spacing. this appears fake and is a classic error that is done in the fake handbags. hermes should be even,, check how close your e is to the others. so sorry.
Thank you everyone!

Isus, it's no porblem at all! By the way, the seller guarantees the authenticity of this bag is if it turns out that this bag is a fake (:crybaby: ), I can get my money back. So I appreciate anyone that can give me feedback on this bag!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/dc01212000/4-1.jpg
Here's the datestamp. The zipper pull has "ECLAIR" stamped on both sides. Is that ok? :confused1:

And I took a photo of the Hermes stamp:
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f209/dc01212000/5-1.jpg
The accent over the E seems to be rubbed off a bit. And there's light smudging overall of the stamp... perhaps due to old age?

What a fabulous first Hermes for you, dc! It's stunning!! :nuts:

I spoke with Manuela some months ago(refurbishing/leather care spa in Bev Hills, there's also one in NY - 2 in the US) about a Trim II I bought from a reseller with a very faint (nearly non-existent) blindstamp, she said sometimes bags slip out accidentally without a stamp.