My daughter asked for a Chanel bag for her 14th birthday!?!

I feel that 14 yrs old is a little too young for a Chanel. If she really wants it, maybe you can suggest to her that you'll help her set up a Chanel "fund" - put aside an amount from her weekly/monthly allowance and "help" her grow her funds along the way, ie. bday money, summer jobs she may soon have etc.

You may be able to dissuade her. Alternatively, she'll want to go ahead with the plan, which, in my opinion, may help her to understand and appreciate the value of things and know that if you want something, it is within your reach by saving up for it.

These are just my opinions.

I'm in my 30s and a mother myself and my own mother will not let me borrow her designer bags AND/OR jewelry :nono:
She says I'm too careless with things and if I want to mess up a bag, mess up my own.
So, I shall continue to "lust" after her Birkins & Kellys....

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I don't care how much money I have I see no reason a 14 year old should be carrying an expensive designer purse. There are lots of great mid-range designers that would be great and more age appropriate, IMO. I can maybe even see an LV pochette or something along those lines. But if you were to decide to get your daughter a Chanel, I think the idea of having her pay for half of it is a great one.

ITA. A 14yo girl is way too young to carry such an expensive designer bag. If I were you, it would worry me if she become a 'chanel addict' in such a young age, and I would not want to encourage nor spoil her with too luxurious things at this age. That's my opinion, and I am sure your DD would look great with many other / more casual bags. ;)

Personally, I wouldn't do it. I don't care how much money I have I see no reason a 14 year old should be carrying an expensive designer purse. There are lots of great mid-range designers that would be great and more age appropriate, IMO. I can maybe even see an LV pochette or something along those lines. But if you were to decide to get your daughter a Chanel, I think the idea of having her pay for half of it is a great one.

I agree, 14 year old is way too young to have a Chanel. Does your daughter really understand just how much the Chanel bags cost?? Let her pay half with you paying the other half (if you can really afford it and not stretching yourself financially) Should ensure good values in future.

I think she's too young to have a designer bag that expensive. If she can easily get those items now, she would be definitely asking more and more in the future. This is my personal opinion though.

14 is a bit young to have her own Chanel. I would let her borrow yours but not get one for herself. If you really think she deserve it, get it and let her "borrow" it. Give it to her when she turns 18.

I'm dying to know the answer to this question. Do you think DD wants a Chanel because she has exquisite taste? OR she knows the brand means $$$ and thus wants to show off, (big difference between the two?)? If she is a little fashionista, I'd look for a reasonable vintage bag and have her contribute with her grades or money (KWIM)?

As a mom, I would say absolutely no way! It's only going to make her want more. Look at it this way, do we stop at only one Chanel bag? Heck no! Anyway, it's also about responsibility and teaching them the value of money. At 14, it's hard to believe they are ready. I, myself received a LV speedy from my father. My dear mom freaked out and yelled at my dad for spoiling me. I'd say a Coach or Dooney is fine but not a Chanel for a young girl.

i would have to agree that 14 years is too young for a Chanel. I am 26 and I don't even own one yet! Although I am now saving up for one. :smile: I have a lot of friends whose parents bought them expensive items starting at a very young age, and now nothing is ever good enough for them. Once you own one, you'd want another and eventually the ones you have would be out of season and would want a new one. I am not saying that goes for everyone and some people do make good use of their brand name items, but it's a possibility.

Personally, I like the idea of using my hard earned money and buying it myself when i can afford it. I was brought up that way and I have never asked my parents for anything expensive. i like harvardalumna's advice on setting up a fund towards the bag where she can put her allowances into it so she can understand the value of a Chanel. Afterall we're not talking about a coach bag. It's Chanel and they are not cheap!

I know there is a difference between a J12 watch and a Chanel handbag, but I saved up for my J12 and appreciate it all the more cos my money bought it. Kwim?? If everything I wanted was bought for me, I would have the wrong attitude, the fact that I save up and buy a lot of my "goodies", makes me appreciate them more.

I got my first Chanel as a high school graduation present from my mom. She paid for half but I had to pay for the other half. It was one of the best gifts I had ever gotten.

That being said, I felt I was mature enough to handle the Chanel bag and I take good care of it to this day.

Personally, I feel that regardless of your income, a 14-year old shouldn't be carrying a Chanel bag. Maybe start her off with a brand that's not quite as expensive. Chanel is top tier. I fear that if your daughter starts off with a Chanel she'll only want to upgrade from that point.

If you decide to give her one, then I'd pick something from their Sport ligne. I'd buy her a non-leather bag instead of leather; I've seen nice across body canvas bags in their Sport collection. She can toss it around without having to worry so much about damaging the bag.

If she really wants something CHANEL and if it were up to me, then I think I'd prefer giving her something small, like an agenda, small wallet or a custome jewelry ring or small earrings.
Great idea, Nat!

Chanel makes excellent costume jewelry that can be as low as $150-200 ish. So it's still "Chanel" but without the huge price tag of a Chanel bag.