My daughter asked for a Chanel bag for her 14th birthday!?!

Hi everyone, thanks again for the comments & suggestions. My daughter will graduate this March from grade school (elementary). As a grad gift, this morning she asked for a MAC, the Chanel bag is no longer in her mind! :woohoo:

I think you should get her one. You have 5 right? Well who do you think she got the idea from? You!
If you wanted her to have cheap values then you shouldn't be flaunting Chanels right in front of her. I think its only fair. She wants it, she deserves it. She obviously have great fashion sense.
You only live once.life is too short !:biggrin:

I'm sorry, but I really don't understand the mentality that a 14 year old deserves a Chanel purse simply because she graduated from elementary school and her mother owns a few. This doesn't make sense to me. People deserve to buy things when they save up enough money to buy them without going into debt.

OP, aren't you relieved you didn't buy the Chanel? Your daughter already changed her mind!!!

Hi everyone, thanks again for the comments & suggestions. My daughter will graduate this March from grade school (elementary). As a grad gift, this morning she asked for a MAC, the Chanel bag is no longer in her mind! :woohoo:

This is a great and very useful graduation gift. That is much more of a necessity for her as she continues through her school years. At that age kid change their minds all the time, one minute it's one thing and the next it's another.

Thanks everyone for your reply. I appreciate these very much.

She seems to prefer the party (which is a third of the price of a Chanel mini) over the Chanel but I should ask her tomorrow. A vintage can be an option too. I know it's ridiculous to give her one even if she deserves it for being such a good girl.

Will update you everyone :hugs:

If she asks for a Chanel at 14, what will she ask whne she turns 18? But hey, if you have the cash, go for it!

I would tell her that when she's grown and fully supporting herself, then she can own as many Chanels as her salary will allow.

I never expected my parents to buy me such and if I had ever asked, they would have thought that I had lost my mind. What they did provide me, and my siblings with, was a solid, paid for in full, university education that was well worth their investment. Their parents had also provided them the same. So, I was eventually able to go out and buy my own Chanel or whatever else. And I was old enough to really appreciate my purchase.

My first self-bought Chanel was from the rue Cambon store in Paris, in the mid 80s, when I was around 29 or 30 years old.

If kids are given everything at a young age, then what the heck do they have to excitedly look forward to in the future? I just don't get parents of today.

AHHH thats good..

btw, i did get a chanel gst for last year for my 17th birthday.. but then again, i was 17, and just got a scholarship from my college, soo.. it was kinda a congrats gift instead of a birthday one :P

I realize the OP has solved her own issue, but thought I would note that the Chanel boutiques in NYC (e.g., 57th St) always have a number of teens buying bags, sunglasses etc. And the last time I was at BG, a mom sat while her young teen daughter tried on a dozen pairs of Loubies, Chanels, etc in the shoe department. To each his own.

I don't see anything wrong with Chanel (or any designer) at a younger age as a gift if the parents can comfortably afford it. My mom got me a Chanel necklace when I was 14 and although I was always dying for a bag I didn't get my first Chanel till 19 (nor did I ask for it) so I don't think that buying things instantly spoils a child. And yes, will they eventually want more? Probably, but doesn't anyone regardless of age? How many grown women on here buy something designer then continue to get more and more (and still want more and more). I guess the argument there is that they can purchase it for themselves but so what, desire for something is desire for something, it stems from the same emotions doesn't it? This issue always gets to me (not just with bags I mean the whole gifts vs paying for it oneself argument) since my mother and I have always been quite firmly on opposite sides of the river with it 9 times out of 10 lol. I value gifts more than things I pay for myself actually because someone chose to give me something they used their money for. Maybe I'm just a weirdo there :shrugs: I don't know, I just don't think age has anything to do with fashion. And for the "what will they want when they get older?" argument, how about more Chanel or LV, etc? (same as grown women) Why does it have to be a jump to Hermes?

Buy her the bag if you can afford it. I got my first Louis Vuitton when I was 11 years old as a summer gift from my mother. Most of the girls in school already had them I was a little late. Later I got a cherry blossom little bag and a speedy. When I turned 14 i got a pink Prada messenger bag and my first Louboutin heels came when I was 15. Instead of a car i got a fendy spy bag and wallet. My mom did think I was ridiculous when i asked for my first louis vuitton but she gave in when she saw all the girls wearing much pricier bags to school.Its my thing i like bags. I am 17 years old and I own more designer bags then my mom. She bought me most of them but now i have a part time job and have been buying my own stuff. Currently saving for a classic jumbo flap and a balenciaga wallet. My mom has promised me chanel pearls for my 18th birthday in june. Buy her the chanel if she is a good girl why not?