My AWFUL experience at Macy's today.

I hate Macy's! I rarely shop there and can't remember the last time I purchased something from them. I try not to whenever possible and will only do it for something specific. I am sick of their shady practices. I went with my mom on black friday bc she really wanted to go. I tried to purchase a gift for her (should have known better) and wanted to use a MALL gift card and Macy's put a code into their computers not to accept mall gift cards on black friday. Can you believe that? I hope it's because they're going broke. Also, the last time i actually really tried to shop there i had picked up a few things and scanned them. Purchased some of them and decided an hour later i wanted the others and they were duplicates of what i already bought. Went back and they had raised the prices in their computers. The signs hadn't changed and it wasn't any type of early bird special, they were sale items, they just decided to change the prices. Ridiculous right? I asked a manager and showed her my receipt and she just said she didn't know. I don't believe in rewarding a business for shady behavior.

^it doesn't matter if the price changed. it would've been an even exchange if you were getting the same item in say a different size or color. there has to be something else to it if they refused to exchange for the lower price.

also, i believe the system automatically changes prices. if an item rings up cheaper then the sign, then they sell it at that price. so if the item wasn't a morning special or something similar, then the price should've rung up the same regardless of what the sign or manager says.

^it doesn't matter if the price changed. it would've been an even exchange. there has to be something else to it if they refused to exchange for the lower price

I had bought a Kipling bag and cosmetic bag. I went back an hour later to buy two additional cosmetic bags for gifts and the computers raised the prices by 35%. They were all the same price as the one I bought when i had scanned them an hour earlier. I showed my receipt and they refused to honor it.

I can understand your frustration, but you did make the choice to wait. I would have only waited if I had other shopping to do (in which case, I wouldn't really be waiting around). Anyways, Macy's is not my favorite store, so I agree with you on that one. I've never had any bad experiences there - I just prefer other department stores. Sorry that you had a frustrating experience.

I am not a Macy's fan. They bought out 2 well loved department stores in Philly- Wanamaker's and Strawbridges and the stores are not even close to what they used to be.

When I was in college my mom had me open a Macy's card while I was at the Lancome counter and the sales associate was pushing us saying we'd get a makeup bag with $300 worth of products if we opened an account for me. Later when I opened the cheap bag it had a handful of crappy samples, an unopened tester of a Christian Dior foaming face wash and a hideous Dior clear lip gloss with GLITTER in it. Not shimmer or even sparkle but sharp pieces of glitter. Completely unwearable. Anyway the value of this supposed fabulous gift bag wasn't even $100. I hate Macy's.

I personally avoid Macys like the plague. Everything is such a mess and I need to travel to Los Angeles (from San Diego) to even find any worthwhile brands.

I remember in high school when Macy's merged with Kauffmans in Ohio (where I'm org. from) and they merged the stores at the local mall at the time. I think the experience was traumatic as I've never really shopped in the store since. The totally abandoned the old Macy's store and moved into a different department store in the mall (Kauffmans) and fired all the Macy's sales associates. Everyone at the store was rude IMO.

Now, nearly 6 years later there's a ginormous department store still sitting vacant in my parents town. So sad :sad:

Sad...but it isn't just Macy's. Try finding Prada in San Diego. NM in FV and their selection isn't much.
We've lost Bullocks, Buffum's, The Broadway, Robinson's, May Co and they all turned into Macy's (and one horrible Bloomie's)

Overall, I like Macy's. I go there every time I go shopping at a mall.

I only had one bad experience while shopping there. I put a dress on hold that was seven, yes that's right, seven dollars. That was very dumb. The lady at the register tried looking for it for me when I came back but said she couldn't find it anywhere. I strongly believe she took it. I saw her eyes bulge out when she saw the price for the design when I was putting it on hold. I regret that to this day, I should have just bought it.

When I lived in Manhattan I always had fine experiences with their flagship store, it all changed when I moved to DC. Just the other day I decided to finally use a gift card I had received the Xmas before. I decided to get a North Face jacket for myself. They were having a discount for using a Macy's card so I decided to revive mine. After about 45 minutes waiting for the idiot SA to figure out how she finally determines that for a $100 coat I'd owe $25, sweet right? Just as I'm paying for it, this smarmy mgr walks by and tells the SA that I can't use the gift card with the discount, just as I was about to sign the receipt! This a$$ of an mgr then takes the receipt out of my hand (grabbed it actually) and ripped it up...in front of me!!! He then starts issuing a new receipt with the higher adjusted price. I was so mad and the other SA just stood there looking like an idiot. I tried arguing but the jerk of the mgr kept saying no so when he handed me a receipt to sign I said forget it, I didn't want it after all and made him go through the entire process of voiding the transaction as well as issuing a new gift card, he was mad and I literally laughed in his face!

^there's nothing I hate more than a manager acting like that towards their staff in front of the customers! They aren't superior to their staff, they just look like pompous buttheads! They seriously don't know how much worse they look, representing their store like that.

I've only had one bad experience at Macy's Chanel counter but it was probably because the SA was tired that day. I went in to ask about the No 5 Eau Premier that had just come out and she treated me like I was imagining things. She didn't even try to humor me, just very dismissive and I thought that was pretty rude.

A) If Macy's isn't careful, and it's probably too late already, Chicagoans will drive them out of the State Street location. They have done nothing, and I mean nothing, to reach out to the vast majority of city dwellers who still pine for Field's. That place is a friggin' mess, so ugly, and the customer service is no better than Old Navy or Filene's across the street. Incidentally, MF was my very first charge card, in high school. Lots of people my age had Field's as their first "learner's" card.

The day Macy's took over Fields, which was known for its service, was a sad day for retail in Chicago. Terrible product quality, limited selections, bad service - and they managed to make that gorgeous building ugly, too.

Someone should forward this thread to their corporate management.

When I lived in Manhattan I always had fine experiences with their flagship store, it all changed when I moved to DC. Just the other day I decided to finally use a gift card I had received the Xmas before. I decided to get a North Face jacket for myself. They were having a discount for using a Macy's card so I decided to revive mine. After about 45 minutes waiting for the idiot SA to figure out how she finally determines that for a $100 coat I'd owe $25, sweet right? Just as I'm paying for it, this smarmy mgr walks by and tells the SA that I can't use the gift card with the discount, just as I was about to sign the receipt! This a$$ of an mgr then takes the receipt out of my hand (grabbed it actually) and ripped it up...in front of me!!! He then starts issuing a new receipt with the higher adjusted price. I was so mad and the other SA just stood there looking like an idiot. I tried arguing but the jerk of the mgr kept saying no so when he handed me a receipt to sign I said forget it, I didn't want it after all and made him go through the entire process of voiding the transaction as well as issuing a new gift card, he was mad and I literally laughed in his face!

the manager is wrronnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng! you can get a use your card discount when you use your gift card AND macys card together. a lesser known fact (that a lot of employees and managers don't want you to know) is that you can also get a "use your macy's credit card" discount when using a macy's gift card.

fill this out
http://www1.macys.com/service/contactus/tellus.jsp
and select that you would like to be contacted about your visit. also be sure to reflect in your star ratings accurately as to how you feel about your transaction.

I can understand your frustration, but you did make the choice to wait. I would have only waited if I had other shopping to do (in which case, I wouldn't really be waiting around). Anyways, Macy's is not my favorite store, so I agree with you on that one. I've never had any bad experiences there - I just prefer other department stores. Sorry that you had a frustrating experience.

Lol every experience with them is a bad frustrating experience which is why i won't shop there. I have many awful stories about Macy's but i don't need to explain them all, people will figure it out on their own. I'm sure when the bad things that have happened to me start happening to others they will understand and go elsewhere. I have given Macy's plenty of chances.

I don't agree with bait and switch pricing at all. I also don't agree with not accepting a mall gift card on a certain day because you want more revenue for Black Friday, but hiding it from people. I don't agree with advertising certain items on black friday as being for sale when they never even had the items in the first place. Total bait and switch. Just because i won't support shady businesses doesn't mean i frown on others for doing it. I just don't wanna give them my money. I don't care what others do with their money.