Mulberry Mabel bag

You ladies have confused me about the Mabel. Some of you love it, and others are complaining about the non shoulder strap. I just don't know what to think. Is it a structured bag? Or will it be floppy when you take all the drat filling out? I can't stand that filling! WHY do they have to stuff it so much? Totally undecided.

You ladies have confused me about the Mabel. Some of you love it, and others are complaining about the non shoulder strap. I just don't know what to think. Is it a structured bag? Or will it be floppy when you take all the drat filling out? I can't stand that filling! WHY do they have to stuff it so much? Totally undecided.

TG, I think some of us are just disappointed. I love it when I see it in magazines but then when I try it out IRL, it just doesn't work for me. That said, I haven't seen any of the patents yet - I'd probably try and make those work (if I happened to have a spare £700 lying around... which I don't :nogood:).

I think that it would become fairly slouchy without all the stuffing in. Certainly, I'd need to squash the top together if I was to attempt to carry it on the shoulder. I realise that it probably wasn't intended as a shoulder bag - I just like my bags to have the option of being carried in a few ways.

I'd definitely say it was intended as a hand held. The straps are pretty wide and don't sit easily on the shoulder. It is a good looking bag and the fineness of the leather means it will become slouchy. It is certainly not a firm shaped bag. IMO it won't become a Mulberry classic as it's a bit limited in how it can be used. Think the patent will be a huge hit though.

Thank you Sarajane and Ditab for your real description about the straps. I too like a bag where I can hand carry and sling over the shoulder. This is the same problem with Roxanne, isn't it? Or is the Roxy easier to get on the shoulder? Sorry to stray off topic. But you are helping me clarify my next purchase.
All this would be easier if I could see everything IRL (which I can't...here in the tropics...). Also, if I could buy on sale, it would make the mistakes hurt less. But I can't buy on sale (no one mails to Mexico) and I need for my purchases to be right on.

Thank you Sarajane and Ditab for your real description about the straps. I too like a bag where I can hand carry and sling over the shoulder. This is the same problem with Roxanne, isn't it? Or is the Roxy easier to get on the shoulder? Sorry to stray off topic. But you are helping me clarify my next purchase.
All this would be easier if I could see everything IRL (which I can't...here in the tropics...). Also, if I could buy on sale, it would make the mistakes hurt less. But I can't buy on sale (no one mails to Mexico) and I need for my purchases to be right on.

TG, that is exactly the reason why I always put the Roxanne back on the shelf. That said, the Rosemary comes with a shoulder strap and you can order a replacement one and then attach it to your Roxanne. That's what I'm planning to do, if I ever get a Roxanne.

I think it depends on your size as to how easy it is to get the bag on your shoulder. If you're petite, you can probably get both the Roxanne and the Mabel on your shoulder quite comfortably. I'm (unfortunately) not petite and so can't manage it.

The Mabel is gorgeous but I have not used it yet - its my christmas pressie from my husband - wasn't it good of me to get it for him - I am so well prepared!!!!! Problem is now I have seen the Black Patent one and I would love it too - maybe I can whine alot till my Birthday in Feb and sell a few things on ebay!!! :P

I wonder how much I would get for my husband??!!!!:idea:

I’ve just bought a Mini Mabel in black (goat?) with shiny gold metal (more practical to polish!) - it’s 2023! I love it ♥️ It’s hand held, surprisingly versatile & I can fit quite alot in, so will be trialing it as a daily. It’s gently structured, the leather is quite textured, soft & supple with a glossy shine, it still has a lovely smell to it. The handles have worked quite hard so the leather has stretched & softened more so here, as a result the inking is cracked & worn in places, but doesn’t detract visually. 15+years on & still a very nice looking & shaped, tactile bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daffydil and 24shaz
Really interesting to read back on this thread and recognise the cycle of when there’s a new bag, a bit of criticism (don’t like it/too boxy/too expensive etc) & a bit of love (need it/bought it). 15 years later it’s considered a mulberry classic & I think you’d be hard pushed to find anyone who doesn’t like it or anyone who is desperate to own one.

Really interesting to read back on this thread and recognise the cycle of when there’s a new bag, a bit of criticism (don’t like it/too boxy/too expensive etc) & a bit of love (need it/bought it). 15 years later it’s considered a mulberry classic & I think you’d be hard pushed to find anyone who doesn’t like it or anyone who is desperate to own one.
I still love my mabels have mini regular large and maxi about 11 of them

Reactions: 24shaz
I had 2 Mabels years ago. Bought them both preowned. I wish I had kept them. I ended up selling all my bags to buy jewellery. I’ve seen a few on eBay but would only pull the trigger if it was in really good condition.