Metallic bags - how do they wear?

Like @indiaink said, most of the new BV is bonded leather….there is a thread about a purple Loop here too where you can see how the leather has peeled off and worn badly, and a metallic would fare worse imo. The older BV metallics tho wear really well. Its the same with a lot of brands tho — Chanel, LV, etc. the quality on the newer bags is terrible compared to the older bags.

Here is the thread-

These are 2 of my older BV metallics and they are wearing really well. The Ottone (gold mini Cabat) is almost indestructible. There are a lot of older BV shoulder/crossbody metallics around, if you hunt for them…..they don’t have that modern look the newer styles do, but the quality is there. The Nodini is a great bag, the older version of the Loop, and came in some pretty metallics.

IMG_5267.jpegIMG_5266.jpeg

Here’s an old thread on Tomas Maier-era metallic bags:

Like others have said about the older BV metallics, my bronze Cervo Baseball bag has held up wonderfully as has all my other BVs. I agree with @indiaink, the quality of the newer bags, no matter who makes them, is not nearly as good as they were in the "olden days". Prices continue on their insane rise while the quality goes the other way.

Putting a bump into this post with a question -

I recently purchase the metallic gold cassette card holder in Hawaii. I have the same style in Parakeet and love it so much, I wanted another color. Now that I'm home, I'm wondering if anyone has this finish/color in their collection from a newer season and how it's held up. I did ask the SA in the store and she told me it will "age" but not necessarily dull or peel.

1715304163956.png

Like others have said about the older BV metallics, my bronze Cervo Baseball bag has held up wonderfully as has all my other BVs. I agree with @indiaink, the quality of the newer bags, no matter who makes them, is not nearly as good as they were in the "olden days". Prices continue on their insane rise while the quality goes the other way.

I agree and disagree.

I have the intrecciato hobo as @jbags07 's above but in gunmetal (2014). I have used it without any babying whatsoever, my go-to Summer and travel/sigh-seeing bag. Literally, these is a single scuff on one tiny woven strip on the bottom. The metallic is not as gleaming as when new but I prefer it actually. You can actually clean and feed these bags and it does them good.

I looked at a mini Sardine in gold, that is basically an evening bag. We have no idea how these will age, however is doesn't look, feel or behave like leather because of the bonding. You can only polish and not feed though. That doesn't mean it's bad, it means it's different. Try not enclose for too long and treat like patent. A gold Gucci bag I have from 2007 is laminated - it's perfect. My oldest (2010) and latest (2024) Bal bags are both presumably laminated (both bright mirror-silver). I have had no problem with the older and worn it and banged it around (it's a travel bag) - and I had no hesitation buying another this year. So long as one doesn't shut them away in a cold/hot/damp/dry (the) lamination should be fine. If it dulls due to the leather 'breathing' leave out for a while, then see if the dull polishes away like condensation with a clean cloth.