How do the metallic bags wear?

Baggiana

O.G.
Feb 11, 2008
Every now and again, I read a post about the wearing of the metallic bags. We know that PO shows little to no wear, but there have been some comments on armatura bags, both original and copper and on one copper ossidato. Since these have been around for a while, I wanted to ask how they are wearing for others... including and especially the rame and armaturas.

I will start:
(1) rame ossidato belt - worn very frequently - no discernible wear.
(2) Copper ostrich belly - worn occasionally - no discernible wear
(3) PO cabat - worn frequently - no discernible wear
(4) PO ferro/ottone karung veneta - worn occasionally - no discernible wear
(5) armatura python knot hobo - worn frequently - no color wear, but scale lifting and I love it that way... softest most gorgeous python!!!
(6) ottone karung sunset clutch - worn twice - no wear
(7) matita belly (not sure if this is really considered a really a metallic, but...) - worn very frequently (rode hard and put up wet, so to speak!) - slight wear on piping at corners only
(8) by comparison - nero veneta - worn frequently before I got the matita belly - corner wear that requires frequent moisturizing attention.

Reactions: jbags07
I have the following metallic bags:

Peltro nappa - worn less than 10 times - no wear I can find
Ottone goatskin - own 2 bags both worn frequently - no wear I can find
Amatura (original) - owned a coin purse and a veneta - worn frequently; both showed significant wear around corners where the metallic had started to wear off; handle of veneta also showed significant wear
Peltro ossidato illusion - worn once in a while - no wear I can find
Matita coin purse with specks - used every day - no wear I can find except I'll see metallic specks at bottom of my bags

I agree with Baggiana that the following metallics are very hardy:

Rame ossidato
PO cabat

The vintage nappa metallic bags seem to be extremely durable and show very little wear associated with the metallic fading or rubbing off. Maybe a bit of darkening, but for bags over 20 years old, that's amazing.

Last edited:
I am "cheating" a bit, but as I run across past posts that mention the durability of metallics, I will post them.

This one on the Rame veneta from bikedogs, Aug. 12, 2009, post #19:
http://forum.purseblog.com/bottega-...a-and-rame-leather-or-grosgrain-417893-2.html

"I recently purchased a Rame Veneta. I loved the bag. After one week of use there was a worn spot in a very noticeable place. The shop in Atlantic City was fabulous. They took the bag back for repair. Two weeks later when the bag returned to the store the spot was still noticeable. I guess it is really hard to repair Rame. I did not keep the bag."

So many tPFers bought this bag, can others weigh in on the long-term wear?

I found another entry on the armatura/rame:
...I'm happy to hear it does not have the same finish as the Armatura/Copper Rame. Frankly, I've seen someone with an old, lovingly used Armatura Veneta and certain parts of the mettalic finish rub off over time.

I am hoping that those who have reflet and peltro cabats will report in... :flowers:

I've got a Copper Rame Large Veneta for a year now. I didn't baby the bag as much. It's obviously stiffer than my other Venetas / Sloanes.

It has significant wear on the inner "Shoulder" + upper "zip" side which rubs against my arm all the time. It's kind of like an old dime / coins, I don't especially like it with its wear and tear but I don't figure it can get fixed?

Thanks for your report, pcarol!... I am so sorry to hear that because it is one of the bags that steals my heart! If you read above, post #5, you will see that someone had it done by BV, but was not satisfied with the results.

I also have a large rame veneta that I have used on and off for the past year. So far, the metallic has worn off a little on the underside of the handle, but that's about it. It has softened up beautifully, and the wear on the handle doesn't bother me. No other signs of wear to report, but I agree, that it sort of looks like worn dimes or coins.

I have the armatura Veneta in large and have carried it quite a bit and I don't see any wear. Considering getting the elephant armature Veneta. Wish I had done a SO mini cabat before BV decided to stop making them. I love metallic

^Thanks, Nic! Reflect is one gorgeous metallic cabat!... and it is great to know that like Peltro it wears beautifully!

Another review of copper/rame... it is not looking good for the "armatura-type" finishes:
I had a copper rame veneta last year and after carrying it only a few times, the finish under the handle and on the corners started to flake. Not worth the headache if you're especially picky IMO.

A more detailed explanation of the copper/rame finish aging from pcarol in another thread. She finds that the appearance is not one of flaking, but rather "oxidation":
I am commenting based on my Copper Large Veneta used for a year, it doesn't peel off, but it actually looks like the US dime or the HK 10 or 50 cents, it kinds of look in different rusty / shiny colors when the coin is old / oxidized. The bag isn't oxidised but it sure does look that way esp. if you rub it against your body a lot.

For my best educated guess, if it's a small leather goods and it will be tossed around in your handbag, I'd suggest to put it inside a dust bag / sleeper bag to avoid color loss.

I forgot how to attach pics, if not, I could show you the wear and tear of my copper rame veneta