Medium classic flap questions/discussion! How often do you use yours? Anyone able to wear it crossbody?

Yes I was thinking whether I’d wear it more in a different colour, given the lovely grey medium flap in the earlier post. Perhaps I’ll try one in a different colour. Grey is more low key and casual I think. But I think for me it’s just the shoulder bag style and that it’s a very structured, formal, fancy bag that everyone recognises and so I feel like it’s “too much” for every day.
Have you considered getting a crossbody strap for your bag? I have an 11-series medium flap. I didn’t use it a lot because it was shoulder carry only and too formal. But I didn’t want to sell because the leather is amazing from that year. So I got a crossbody strap and now I use it regularly. It makes it feel more modern and it’s definitely more convenient and comfortable. And I get a lot of compliments from younger women who find it less matronly as a crossbody.

Reactions: Cmpb33
Have you considered getting a crossbody strap for your bag? I have an 11-series medium flap. I didn’t use it a lot because it was shoulder carry only and too formal. But I didn’t want to sell because the leather is amazing from that year. So I got a crossbody strap and now I use it regularly. It makes it feel more modern and it’s definitely more convenient and comfortable. And I get a lot of compliments from younger women who find it less matronly as a crossbody.
How interesting and helpful thank you! May I ask where you purchased the strap from and what it’s like- is it all leather, or a mix of hardware and leather, like a classic chanel strap? Also where does it attach to the bag. So many questions ha ha. If you have any photos it would be so great to see.

How interesting and helpful thank you! May I ask where you purchased the strap from and what it’s like- is it all leather, or a mix of hardware and leather, like a classic chanel strap? Also where does it attach to the bag. So many questions ha ha. If you have any photos it would be so great to see.
Leather surgeons made the strap for me. It’s an exact replica of the Chanel strap. I sent them my bag, and it was returned with the new strap on it. My original was sent back and is in my closet. It can be switched/reattached at any time. This was around 2017. I believe at some point LS stopped making new straps and will only add to your original strap.

I can post pictures in a bit. You can’t tell a difference, it’s just longer.

Last edited:
Reactions: ButchChanel
Leather surgeons made the strap for me. It’s an exact replica of the Chanel strap. I sent them my bag, and it was returned with the new strap on the on it. My original was sent back and is in my closet. It can be switched/reattached at any time. This was around 2017. I believe at some point LS stopped making new straps and will only add to your original strap.

I can post pictures in a bit. You can’t tell a difference, it’s just longer.
Ah yes now I recall watching a YouTube video of someone who had their chain “extended” to make it crossbody. I forgot about this- food for thought thank you!

I have a medium classic flap, vintage, in the lambskin with gold hardware. When I first bought it (preloved) I was so terrified of wearing it because of potential damage to the delicate lambskin. Then once I got over my fear and decided I would wear it because otherwise it is a waste of money and space, I immediately scuffed the inside pocket lining and corner of the bag just purely by it rubbing against my clothes when I wore it on the shoulder - after one wear. So that's put me right off!

I keep telling myself I maybe should've gotten the caviar with silver hardware, that way I'd wear it more, but honestly on reflection I don't ever actually find myself thinking "damn, it would've been so nice if I could wear my classic flap today". I think it's because the bag looks so formal, and also because it's the "easy" bag choice? Sometimes I prefer to pick bags that are a little more unexpected to finish off an outfit, not sure if that makes sense.

I have a black caviar medium in SHW and never reach for it. I always thought it was because it was in SHW instead of GHW, and thought I made a mistake. But now after reading this thread-- I think I just don't feel comfortable using it with my current lifestyle. I don't bring anything designer to work, and on the weekend I am very casual. I won't ever let it go because I would never purchase it again with all the price increases. I think that my lifestyle will change again, and when it does I might be very happy to use it then.

Reactions: PuffyCloud
I have a medium classic flap, vintage, in the lambskin with gold hardware. When I first bought it (preloved) I was so terrified of wearing it because of potential damage to the delicate lambskin. Then once I got over my fear and decided I would wear it because otherwise it is a waste of money and space, I immediately scuffed the inside pocket lining and corner of the bag just purely by it rubbing against my clothes when I wore it on the shoulder - after one wear. So that's put me right off!

I keep telling myself I maybe should've gotten the caviar with silver hardware, that way I'd wear it more, but honestly on reflection I don't ever actually find myself thinking "damn, it would've been so nice if I could wear my classic flap today". I think it's because the bag looks so formal, and also because it's the "easy" bag choice? Sometimes I prefer to pick bags that are a little more unexpected to finish off an outfit, not sure if that makes sense.
That totally makes sense. The classic is ubiquitous. I do love it and love seeing it on others but can’t get over that feeling when I wear it myself- that I’m only wearing it because it’s “the” bag to have. I have had both hardwares and that hasn’t made a difference to me personally.

I do feel very comfortable with caviar though in terms of wear and tear/damage, it’s pretty indestructible just the corners I’ve felt I need to keep an eye on.

Reactions: Cali2HI
You shd part with it because it really doesn't sound like you love it.

I have jumbos and there are definite long phases of no wear. A yr to 18 months but then I make an effort to wear them and rediscover the love again. Lots of stares in costco today but it's understandable people wondering why anyone would be wandering around with a bag that now costs almost £10k! I bought for a third of this price though. Trying to figure out if it's real or not. Don't care, just enjoying my bag as I will definitely never purchase it new again. I have too many other things I currently covet. So if that isn't you sell and get something you want and will enjoy.

There is definitely something to having it in your collection I think that’s why I haven’t sold mine yet! Also understand the feeling of it being your first Chanel bag and HG.
I bought the CF to use for special occasions with no intent to use it for work. The CF was not appropriate for my work/lifestyle at that point. Probably ok now but not so 10+ years ago when I was fairly junior. Hence I am fine with the low usage.

It really what you want/expect from the bag. If it doesn't meet your needs and make you happy, probably it is time to let go and move on.

I sold my black medium classic flap with shw last year and don’t regret it. My husband really thought I’d regret it but I never looked back. It just sat in the dustbag. I still have two medium flaps in 19B and 18S beige which I definitely won’t sell because of those beige shades but unfortunately I rarely wear those either.

View attachment 5942386View attachment 5942387
I know some people don’t like the idea of messing with the strap. Or they think it makes it look fake. But if I hadn’t added a crossbody, it would be sitting in my closet unused. I made it work for my lifestyle and wardrobe. My husband knows where the original strap is so when they pry it from my cold, dead hands, he can switch it back and sell it.
Good for you! I was pondering this, whether I’d make such a change and potentially affect its resale value. But I’m constantly buying and selling bags and losing money as a result anyway so if this allows you to actually use it and love it I think it was the right choice. I still think people would pay a decent price for the bag anyway not that you seem to even want to sell yours! It’s nice to know they retain some value though if we did want to sell and I think it still would or anyway as you say the chain could be swapped back.

Good for you! I was pondering this, whether I’d make such a change and potentially affect its resale value. But I’m constantly buying and selling bags and losing money as a result anyway so if this allows you to actually use it and love it I think it was the right choice. I still think people would pay a decent price for the bag anyway not that you seem to even want to sell yours! It’s nice to know they retain some value though if we did want to sell and I think it still would or anyway as you say the chain could be swapped back.
And thanks for the photo it looks like the original strap and it looks much better crossbody than the original strap which sits too high. Gorgeous quality, puffy and shiny leather!

Reactions: PurpleLilac97