Medium classic flap questions/discussion! How often do you use yours? Anyone able to wear it crossbody?

I bought my M/L classic flap (black lambskin SHW) in 2013. I have not use it since 2020. I use my medium boy (caviar with RHW) for work. I feel the CF is too formal and also too prominent/flashy for work. I use bigger and more causal bags on weekend which fit more things (such as water bottle and maybe umbrella).

I will not sell the CF as it is my first chanel bag and also my HG. It makes me happy when I look at it from time to time. I bought it a decade ago and it cost around 3000 Euro (after getting the tax refund), I do not feel the pinch that much even though I seldom use it. I will not get another CF again at the current prices.

I will try to use the CF more for work but it doesn't bother me whether I use it or not. I love having it in my collection.
There is definitely something to having it in your collection I think that’s why I haven’t sold mine yet! Also understand the feeling of it being your first Chanel bag and HG.

I initially purchased a medium classic flap in black caviar leather with silver hardware in 2018. I rarely used it and thought I may use the style more if the hardware was gold. So I sold the silver hw bag and bought one with gold hw instead, last year. But again I barely ever use it. I think it’s because I find it very flashy and with the price these bags now are, I feel too vulnerable wearing it around. It’s also quite formal and serious. I also don’t find it easy to get in and out of and am scared very cautious when using it. It sits in its dustbag. I can’t believe it but I’m thinking about selling it and buying the 22 instead. I feel like that’s a bag I would use more. Does anyone else have this experience with this bag? It feels like sacrilege given the medium classic is the most popular “queen” of Chanel bags but what’s the point if I don’t use it. Maybe some increase in value but I’d rather invest money in the stock market and use my bags. I know some people will be horrified by this. Guess I’m seeking validation as I’m scared to do this lol. I don’t think I would regret it if I really used the 22. I also feel like that’s a bag I wouldn’t be so scared to use in terms of security as if needed you can just turn around the side that says “Chanel” on it when on public transport!!
I don’t have a medium but I have the small… and ME TOO!!! I sincerely thought I made the mistake of buying silver instead of gold too. And until you wrote this I have always wondered. I doubt it’ll be different if I bought the gold. There is just something about the bag…

Ironically enough I thought I was slightly crazy buying same leather material same color in the coco handle but gold and I swear that bag goes with everything.

I’m not sure what it is about but but I’m thinking maybe it’s cuz it looks super cute crossbody on me, it’s cute for functions holding it by hand, and the opening is SO much easy and spacious.

…even thought they are almost the same height width length…

For some reason it’s consoling to know someone else sold their classic flaps! Totally agree, I love the aesthetic too. I actually live in a major city but even then it feels so flashy, I think because of the state of the economy now!!

Yeah I understand with it being flashy especially with the classic black/gold combo. I actually enjoy wearing the classic flap in seasonal colors more. I bought the classic flaps both in black silver hardware & gold hardware way back in time. Just like you I thought I would wear it more if it was in gold hardware but every time I try to use it I end up picking another bag instead 🤦🏻‍♀️

Reactions: PuffyCloud
I have the black medium classics in SHW and small black Chanel 22. The last time I used the classics flap was 3 years ago, and it's currently sitting in the closet. I use the 22 quite often. Just like what you said...When I go to places where I do not want to show the flashy logo, I turn my bag around, and it's a plain black hobo bag. How convenient it is!! Love it! I use the bag organizer and side protectors. It's very comfortable under the arm, and I have no complaint about the bag. I don't think I will sell the medium classics even though I don't use it much now. I may change my mind and will carry it later!

If you like, you can sell the medium flap and purchase the Chanel 22. Invest the remaining proceeds in the stock market, make some $$$. If you like the medium flap in the future, you can buy it again.

I bought my classic medium back in 2019. and it still has tag attached.
I don't know why I bought it though. probably just hype of being "classic" and because of the hype of "classic" I don't have plan to sell it either even I don't use the bag.
I have over 10 chanel bags. I found out I like mini bags with cross bag style.
My favorite is 2.55 mini out of all my bags. but classic medium is perfect display in my collection. 🤣

I don't know why I bought it though. probably just hype of being "classic" and because of the hype of "classic" I don't have plan to sell it either even I don't use the bag.
My favorite is 2.55 mini out of all my bags. but classic medium is perfect display in my collection. 🤣
I also prefer mini bags that can be worn crossbody, so many people have said that now. I have an extra mini coco handle and the “classic” mini flap both of which I would reach for over the medium. I thought it would be good to have a different style too and am interested in the 22 in the small size as I think it’s very cool girl and I can actually fit things in it!

I understand it’s nice to have the classic displayed in a collection too. Mine just sits in a dustbag but maybe if it was on display I’d appreciate it more!

Reactions: Cali2HI
I have the black medium classics in SHW and small black Chanel 22. The last time I used the classics flap was 3 years ago, and it's currently sitting in the closet. I use the 22 quite often. Just like what you said...When I go to places where I do not want to show the flashy logo, I turn my bag around, and it's a plain black hobo bag. How convenient it is!! Love it! I use the bag organizer and side protectors. It's very comfortable under the arm, and I have no complaint about the bag. I don't think I will sell the medium classics even though I don't use it much now. I may change my mind and will carry it later!

If you like, you can sell the medium flap and purchase the Chanel 22. Invest the remaining proceeds in the stock market, make some $$$. If you like the medium flap in the future, you can buy it again.
You are so right I can always buy the medium classic again if I really miss it, although as others have said the prices are getting crazy high, but perhaps they will level out in the future. I think I’d only miss it as I’d feel I’m meant to have it, rather than miss using it - as I don’t - so it’s about overcoming that pressure to own one!

That’s so good to hear from someone who has the 22 and loves it, most people I speak to who own one do really love it. I was not keen at all on it at first as I’ve always bought more classic, structured Chanel bags as they usually are, but in reality they are not easy to use day to day. And I just think it looks so “cool girl” and laissez-faire! Yes I will also be getting side protectors and a bag organiser thanks to watching Fasionably Amy’s youtube video on her 22. The bag organiser makes sense as I was worried it would just be a large jumbled mess inside otherwise.

Yeah I understand with it being flashy especially with the classic black/gold combo. I actually enjoy wearing the classic flap in seasonal colors more. I bought the classic flaps both in black silver hardware & gold hardware way back in time. Just like you I thought I would wear it more if it was in gold hardware but every time I try to use it I end up picking another bag instead 🤦🏻‍♀️
Yes I was thinking whether I’d wear it more in a different colour, given the lovely grey medium flap in the earlier post. Perhaps I’ll try one in a different colour. Grey is more low key and casual I think. But I think for me it’s just the shoulder bag style and that it’s a very structured, formal, fancy bag that everyone recognises and so I feel like it’s “too much” for every day.

Reactions: lolasparks
I don’t have a medium but I have the small… and ME TOO!!! I sincerely thought I made the mistake of buying silver instead of gold too. And until you wrote this I have always wondered. I doubt it’ll be different if I bought the gold. There is just something about the bag…

Ironically enough I thought I was slightly crazy buying same leather material same color in the coco handle but gold and I swear that bag goes with everything.

I’m not sure what it is about but but I’m thinking maybe it’s cuz it looks super cute crossbody on me, it’s cute for functions holding it by hand, and the opening is SO much easy and spacious.

…even thought they are almost the same height width length…
Totally!! I wear my mini (extra mini) coco every single day. I think it’s as you say, it’s cute and you can wear it crossbody. Being able to wear it crossbody is a major thing, it’s more convenient, secure and somehow feels more modern than a shoulder classic flap bag.

It’s cuteness also makes it whimsical to me and so not too serious. But equally with the top handle it looks officious enough for work. But cute enough for every day and going out, especially with being able to carry it by the handle at dinners or events as you say.

I also feel like as it’s so small I can cover it when I need to, it isn’t as in your face and flashy as the classic flap.

Reactions: ButchChanel
Yes I was thinking whether I’d wear it more in a different colour, given the lovely grey medium flap in the earlier post. Perhaps I’ll try one in a different colour. Grey is more low key and casual I think. But I think for me it’s just the shoulder bag style and that it’s a very structured, formal, fancy bag that everyone recognises and so I feel like it’s “too much” for every day.

Yeah I completely understand. I prefer a bag that I can crossbody more than a shoulder style. Classic flaps are not comfortable after couple hours of wearing on the shoulder. I don't think a different color or size (small/medium) will change anything. Perhaps, you can try the mini rectangular or square if you don't have it yet, it resembles the classic flap look but way more functional and comfortable to wear plus you can wear it crossbody.

I am the exact same way, I don't get to use my small classic flap, as I also feel more secure with a crossbody bags for daily use. Though I will say that I have used beige more often than black, because the black one is quite formal for me. I would never sell it though, it's a special bag for me even if I don't get to use it often, at the moment my lifestyle doesn't call for it. Better to buy a bag that fits your current needs rather than for future needs and times that may or may not come. I'm really into the Chanel 19 these days for the casual look. I never liked it initially, but have seen it out and about and I just love how casually women carry it and that's exactly what suits my needs.

Last edited:
Same. I have one in Medium from 2019 (bought in France). I knew I would not like it because it is hard to get in and out without scratching the flap and I get annoyed easily by bags that are hard to get into. Bought it anyway. Something about 31 Rue Cambon and Chanel CF. Still has tags attached - the bag probably has already a dent from them. I only "carried" the bag in my house. Lol. I have 3 minis that I carry all the time.

I initially purchased a medium classic flap in black caviar leather with silver hardware in 2018. I rarely used it and thought I may use the style more if the hardware was gold. So I sold the silver hw bag and bought one with gold hw instead, last year. But again I barely ever use it. I think it’s because I find it very flashy and with the price these bags now are, I feel too vulnerable wearing it around. It’s also quite formal and serious. I also don’t find it easy to get in and out of and am scared very cautious when using it. It sits in its dustbag. I can’t believe it but I’m thinking about selling it and buying the 22 instead. I feel like that’s a bag I would use more. Does anyone else have this experience with this bag? It feels like sacrilege given the medium classic is the most popular “queen” of Chanel bags but what’s the point if I don’t use it. Maybe some increase in value but I’d rather invest money in the stock market and use my bags. I know some people will be horrified by this. Guess I’m seeking validation as I’m scared to do this lol. I don’t think I would regret it if I really used the 22. I also feel like that’s a bag I wouldn’t be so scared to use in terms of security as if needed you can just turn around the side that says “Chanel” on it when on public transport!!
NM

I will say this. I had a handful of classics that I didn't wear much due to my lifestyle but we have moved and I am now in place where I get a lot more wear out of them. I bought my first one in 2013 in Germany for 1/3 of what it would cost now.