Travel MAUI! tips - questions - advice

When did you go to GW last?
We went last summer and it was a dive :-s
Literally.
Wallpaper in the restrooms peeling off by the sheet, piles of soiled towels poolside, unworking electronics in guestroom, 2 days old room service plates piled outside doors, drunk men everywhere doing cannonballs, etc. . . never saw the water elevator in working order.
We were SHOCKED.
We didn't last 18 hours, we slept and ran back to Four Seasons next door.
The only good thing I can say about it is they have a good Luau.

OMG, Swanky! We've stayed at the GW 2 or 3 times, including before they were fully open and we got a fab deal. I think it's changed a lot over the years, but it's disappointing to read that it's sunk this far. Maybe a major rehab is in the works. It's too busy and noisy and business-oriented for us at our age. We like 4S and Kea Lani better. I've been disappointed in Kaanipali and Kapalua is too far out for me. Remember my *most relaxing vacation* thread? DH wants to go to 4S this winter, so I think I'll be doing my relaxing there. Wish there was a faster way to get there; we used to get the nonstops from Chgo and it was easier than from the se coast.

From Wailea, Kihei is a quick drive for regular places to eat and I'm sure there are bars there. Lahaina is a bit farther, but certainly doable. The beauty, more reliable weather and general peace in Wailea make it the choice on Maui for us.

Look at Tripadvisor.com, I think the change of owner/management did it in. Lots of complaints :sad:
We were shocked, we thought based on reputation that it was the 'cream of the crop' so we made it our final destination. The Marriott on the other side of the Shops was cleaner :Push:
Fairmont was really nice, but maybe a little dull if you want some "life".
I'd rank Four Seasons the top on Maui and TBH, that specific FS outranks all the other FS's we've ever been to. The attentiveness from the staff there is unreal.

This is really helpful. So in general it seems that Four Seasons is quieter BUT its next to the Grand Wailai/Waldorf which usually is more active.

Okay, I will be back in a bit for more questions :smile:

Some friends of ours booked the Westin for their honeymoon last year. They checked in, went to their rooms, and promptly checked out as it was a gross and smelly mess.

^^ Not good. They were also on the backside of the building with a view of the mountains and dumpsters.

OP, if you guys get a chance, check out Hike Maui before you go. We did a really cool guided hike to 5 different waterfalls accompanied by a 'tasting menu' of the safe plants and fruits along the way. Ula Ula was our guide and his knowledge of and enthusiasm for Hawaiian culture were amazing!

^^ Not good. They were also on the backside of the building with a view of the mountains and dumpsters.

OP, if you guys get a chance, check out Hike Maui before you go. We did a really cool guided hike to 5 different waterfalls accompanied by a 'tasting menu' of the safe plants and fruits along the way. Ula Ula was our guide and his knowledge of and enthusiasm for Hawaiian culture were amazing!

We definitely will! Was the guided tour along the Hana route or was it somewhere else entirely?