Travel MAUI! tips - questions - advice

I think Kaanapali beach area is the best area for a young couple. There area some really nice places to eat, the beach is great and it is a good central location to sightsee on the island.

I have done the road to hana several times and it is one of my favorite things to do. The sunrise on the volcano is one of the most majstic things I have ever seen. Warren and Annabells is the best show on the island. It is very resonably prices and warren is great. Well worth seeing.

Hi,
I just realized I booked flight to Kahului yet am staying at Kaanapali.
I found information that Kaanapali has lots of activities which I think it's good because hubby n I are traveling with kids.

Advices needed please such as try to change flight to the other closer airport, Kapalua or not?
Or change hotel?
Or any activities in Kahului?
We prefer adventurous activities, least/no shopping is good as well. Kids would like to swim, snorkel, hike, n SWIM all day.

Kahului is the better airport, but Kaanapali is the better vacation spot. And the drive from Kahului to Kaanapali is beautiful. It's only an hour drive.

From what you described, your family would not like Kahului very much. It's more "city" and has more industrial areas.

For me, Kehei is my personal favorite Maui area.

Kahului is the better airport, but Kaanapali is the better vacation spot. And the drive from Kahului to Kaanapali is beautiful. It's only an hour drive.

From what you described, your family would not like Kahului very much. It's more "city" and has more industrial areas.

In Kehei, are there any snorkeling activities?
I want them to experience that.
Also I read the other thread about visits to Road to Hana, n Haelakala crater. So I want to do that as well.
Staying 5 nights.

We have been to Maui several times and Kahalui is the main airport on the island. We rent a car and drive to our hotel, which is usually in the ailea area. But we have been to Kaanapali also. since the distances between resort towns is several miles, I would keep a rented car for your entire trip.

The road to Hana from Kaanapali will take an entire day for you. It's beautiful with lots of waterfalls but it has many winding turns and some people may get travel sickness, so be prepared for that. My son and his wife went to Haleakela--the elevation is very high. Have plenty of water and a hat for shade so you don't get ill frm the altitude. It's quite spectacular, though. It's colder at the top of the old volcano, so have a jacket with you.

Kaanapali has a lot of nice hotels, restaurants and shopping. You may want to drive to Lahaina, an old town that used to have a lot of whaling ships. It has cafes and souvenir shops and is picturesque.

Have a great trip! You are flying to the right airport.

In Kehei, are there any snorkeling activities?
I want them to experience that.
Also I read the other thread about visits to Road to Hana, n Haelakala crater. So I want to do that as well.
Staying 5 nights.

The Road to Hana is awesome and will take all day. There are places to snorkel south of Kihei, but not directly in Kihei. But the beaches are awesome. The crater has the best sunrises anywhere, but you have to get there super early to get a space and it is freezing cold up there!

Should I rent car for the duration of the stay at Kaanapali?
Or for a few days only when we go to Hana n Hakeakal.
Rent a car for the entire trip.

We go to Maui fairly often.
I do not recommend Road to Hana w/ small children. All of mine vomited the whole way from motion sickness {mine were 9 yr old DD and 6 yr old twin boys}. You travel about 20-30 mph along cliffs and it's one lane and VERY tight curves sometimes. Aside from getting sick they were bored senseless.
We are sorry we didn't do Haleakala, we will not miss it next time. Our friends did it w/ their kids and they all loved it.

I agree, no need to try and stay anywhere other than Wailea/Kihei or Kaanapali.
Kaanapali is more commercial and busy than Wailea. We prefer Wailea and like to drive to Kaanapali and Lahaina for a day/night outing.
We usually go for 2 weeks and rent a car for 3 days in the first week and 3 in the next.

I like the snorkeling in Wailea and in Kaanapali.

natalie78 said:

I agree with this advice. We did the drive and it wasn't bad...only took us 45 minutes

The Road to Hana is awesome and will take all day. There are places to snorkel south of Kihei, but not directly in Kihei. But the beaches are awesome. The crater has the best sunrises anywhere, but you have to get there super early to get a space and it is freezing cold up there!

Rent a car for the entire trip.

Thanks for the advice, Nat

My trip is finally coming together!! Even though I started booking activities late I think I've set up a pretty sweet itinerary for my family. Anything else I missed or any other must-dos? Also food suggestions would be great as I haven't gotten around to those yet!

We're staying at the Honua Kai (right on the beach)
1st day: chill around/explore
2nd day: 5 hour snorkeling/snuba boat cruise out to molokini/turtle arches in the morning, and the Old Lahaina Luau for dinner
3rd day: Drive out to the south end of maui and spend the whole morning exploring trails/mountains on horseback, then explore all of Haleakala park after before going home for dinner
4th day: another chill out/free time day... perhaps a little parasailing, or a full day of rest if I feel like waking up at 2am to drive out to Haleakala for sunrise that night!
5th day: Flyin' Hawaiian zipline in the morning (longest, highest, fastest zipline in Hawaii! so excited!!) and pack/rest for flight home :smile:

I agree I also got married in Maui Mama's fish house is out of this world, since it is just you too we had a private dinner on the beach for our wedding night (I would check into that) and do Mama's as part of your Honeymoon

My trip is finally coming together!! Even though I started booking activities late I think I've set up a pretty sweet itinerary for my family. Anything else I missed or any other must-dos? Also food suggestions would be great as I haven't gotten around to those yet!

We're staying at the Honua Kai (right on the beach)
1st day: chill around/explore
2nd day: 5 hour snorkeling/snuba boat cruise out to molokini/turtle arches in the morning, and the Old Lahaina Luau for dinner
3rd day: Drive out to the south end of maui and spend the whole morning exploring trails/mountains on horseback, then explore all of Haleakala park after before going home for dinner
4th day: another chill out/free time day... perhaps a little parasailing, or a full day of rest if I feel like waking up at 2am to drive out to Haleakala for sunrise that night!
5th day: Flyin' Hawaiian zipline in the morning (longest, highest, fastest zipline in Hawaii! so excited!!) and pack/rest for flight home :smile:

It is good that you are leaving a day or two to relax. The jet lag can be a bear. The sunrise is soooo worth it. We always try to do it the first day or two there because we are always up so early before we adjust to the time zone.

We try to leave the Kaanapali area around 3 hrs before the sunrise time. You always want to get about 1 hr before the sunrise because the colors are really vivid before the acutal sunrise.