Maintaining a H relationship

Please focus on the title of this thread rather than each other, TY

If you find it very hard to ignore certain people, please feel free in adding them to your 'Ignore' list.

For advice on how to obtain a B/K/C please go to the reading room in the Reading Room The Newbie's HOW DO I GET A BIRKIN (or other bag) Reading Room

For advice on how to shop at your local store please do a search in Hermes Shopping sub-forum and look for your store/region/country.

Reactions: Etriers and S62708
I am curious to get the thread's thoughts on the following . Some background is required, so thanks in advance for sticking with me.

I used to do most of my luxury shopping during once- or twice-yearly trips to a vacation destination on the other side of the country from where I live (five hours by plane). I find H SAs to be transactional. Helpful, but aloof. They offer a first name, but never a business card, and they never follow up after a visit. (I find it easier to get business cards than water at other luxury boutiques.) Attempts to make small talk in the hopes of establishing a relationship, such as the time I mentioned to an SA that they helped me during a previous visit, are ignored.

About six years ago, an SA in our destination city followed up with me via email, thanking me for my purchase and offering contact information should I need future assistance. The timing was good, since it was about a year before COVID and appointments became necessary. While I have not shopped exclusively with this SA, the majority of my purchases (80%, or more) have been with her; the rest were made in other destination cities since I am not a fan of my local boutique. She has sourced/ordered items on my list when her store does not have them in stock and redirected me to a different store in her city when she found one item there. She arranged for a colleague to step in when my last visit overlapped with her vacation. She has never bemoaned purchases made in other stores, or pressured me to buy. My first (and only) QB came from her. Our relationship has developed over time and we even chat about personal topics when I see her, but no contact between visits outside of setting up my next appointment and sending her a list in advance (which she prefers, but also knows she can pull other items for me to consider).

I recently had the opportunity to visit the next closest boutique to where I live (two hours away by car) and a curious thing happened that has me questioning what to do: The SA I was paired with (again helpful, but aloof) offered his business card and said to reach out if I needed future assistance. This was after he rang up my purchase (small for H, under $1K) and was putting my receipt in an envelope.

I am torn. On the one hand, I am shopping luxury more frequently and regular cross-country plane rides are not feasible. On the other, I have a great relationship with my current SA. Things I am contemplating as I make my decision include what, if anything, I should read into being offered a business card from this new SA (especially the timing, since it was after he pulled my profile), given he knows I have a regular SA. I have heard it mentioned here that some level of information about spend/client potential (?) is available to SAs via the customer profile. My purchases have gotten more substantial over time, but I am a small client compared to many here. Positioning myself for two QBs per year is not what I am after, but I would like to add another bag, or two, to my collection over time. Thoughts on how to proceed from those who know the world of H far better than me?
Within the US, I shop with one SA who is the one who knows me best. He is fine with me shopping twice a year at FSH where my spend is relatively minimal. And, he knows that I might stress shop an item or two in Singapore during family visits. I think your original SA has been great, and if I were you, I would continue with her. You have a nice personal professional vibe and got your QB from her. But, if you cannot get there at least two times a year, it’s hard. Good luck on your decision :smile:

Question for the group - I have been with my SA for over a year and made a wish list around 8 -10 months ago. My spend is now at a fairly reasonable level (+$30k) across multiple categories fine jewelry/footwear/home, and I have k25/k28 on my wish list. Recently, I mentioned my wish list to my SA and my SA confirmed my top colors, which seems like a good sign. Roughly how long after you hit a decent spent level did you get an offer?

I am continuing to buy only what I want (which always seems like a lot 😂). My SA is also lovely so I don’t plan to be pushy or ask again anytime soon, but this would be my first quota bag and I am admittedly excited to get one.

Reactions: OnlyModa
Question for the group - I have been with my SA for over a year and made a wish list around 8 -10 months ago. My spend is now at a fairly reasonable level (+$30k) across multiple categories fine jewelry/footwear/home, and I have k25/k28 on my wish list. Recently, I mentioned my wish list to my SA and my SA confirmed my top colors, which seems like a good sign. Roughly how long after you hit a decent spent level did you get an offer?

I am continuing to buy only what I want (which always seems like a lot 😂). My SA is also lovely so I don’t plan to be pushy or ask again anytime soon, but this would be my first quota bag and I am admittedly excited to get one

Hi everyone! I'd love your insight and perspective : I recently switched stores and SA's. I've made some small purchases (leather accessories, belt, scarves) with my new SA and we have a nice rapport. The new store and SA is out of my home state so with that being said, would love to hear your advice on how to maintain the relationship remotely. I've also already shared a wishlist and SA was very responsive and overall positive about receiving it. I'm not expecting anything off the wishlist anytime soon as I know this is a process. Would love any and all feedback. Thank you! (I should also add that I have a long purchase history which I know doesn't carry over but does show my loyalty).
Hi! I have an update!
My SA whom I just started working with just surprised me with a wishlist item! This was a complete shock as I’ve only been working with him for about 6 weeks! We totally hit it off and it just shows how important the relationship really is. Prior to switching I had another SA who I was with for many years. Would make purchases regularly but she was very aloof and really didn’t seem to be interested maintaining the relationship. So, I decided to cut my loses and moved on. Sure enough, I clicked with another SA at another store (out of state) and the rest is history 🧡

I am continuing to buy only what I want (which always seems like a lot 😂). My SA is also lovely so I don’t plan to be pushy or ask again anytime soon, but this would be my first quota bag and I am admittedly excited to get one.

It’s probably just when the right color/hw combo bag comes in.

Hi! I have an update!
My SA whom I just started working with just surprised me with a wishlist item! This was a complete shock as I’ve only been working with him for about 6 weeks! We totally hit it off and it just shows how important the relationship really is. Prior to switching I had another SA who I was with for many years. Would make purchases regularly but she was very aloof and really didn’t seem to be interested maintaining the relationship. So, I decided to cut my loses and moved on. Sure enough, I clicked with another SA at another store (out of state) and the rest is history 🧡
Congrats! Thats amazing! Do you mind sharing which state or city? Also what was your pre-spend level like if you care to share?

Question on pre spend purchases.. my SA keeps suggesting my husband and I look at watches. We showed slight interest in a watch once but not that interested and havent expressed any interest after that one time. My SA sent me a mssg abt making a custom watch most recently and I’m not sure if its a hint to just make the purchase to help with my wishlist or its just the SA trying to make a bigger commission. Any advice would be helpful :smile:

Reactions: lynn ph
Question on pre spend purchases.. my SA keeps suggesting my husband and I look at watches. We showed slight interest in a watch once but not that interested and havent expressed any interest after that one time. My SA sent me a mssg abt making a custom watch most recently and I’m not sure if its a hint to just make the purchase to help with my wishlist or its just the SA trying to make a bigger commission. Any advice would be helpful :smile:
I'm sure she'd love you to buy a watch to help with her commission and her personal sales goals. If you don't want a watch, none of that matters, don't buy one.

It's the season for custom watches so typically around this time SAs will text their clients asking if they want to do it. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.

Hi! I have an update!
Congrats! What did you score??

I am usually totally up for giving constructive feedback but only when I think the person/relationship/group dynamic is worth investing time and energy. But in this case, I don't know how he'll react to it (he's obviously not who I thought he was) and I don't want him to go running to the "adults" which could possibly invite unwelcomed interest as @880 mentioned.

But maybe when he really gets on my nerves and I think I can take the heat from all sides, I'll give it to him like it is? :biggrin:

Thanks to everyone for your reassurance, validation, different perspectives and possible remedies! I'm still quite new at navigating H and this was definitely a learning moment for me :P I'll do better going forward.

It's mostly about cities we've visited, hiking, our pets, new restaurants, favorite desserts. The juicy stuff (like our family drama or Love is Blind, etc.) is saved for our appointments :lol:

Do they seem to encourage this small talk? I can't get the sense of whether such things messaged through my SAs official work channel (texts, email) would be refreshing or just one more thing to have to respond to.

What I'm wondering is... what is a good way to remind my SA that I exist, besides buying stuff, and besides bugging them about a bag? I would message random things lije small talk, but has, anyone's SA actually said they like it?

Do they seem to encourage this small talk? I can't get the sense of whether such things messaged through my SAs official work channel (texts, email) would be refreshing or just one more thing to have to respond to.

What I'm wondering is... what is a good way to remind my SA that I exist, besides buying stuff, and besides bugging them about a bag? I would message random things lije small talk, but has, anyone's SA actually said they like it?
The small talk via text happens organically and is an extension of a coversation that happened in person. For example, last week I mentioned I’ll be visiting Vegas soon during our appointment and she followed up with a text to recommend her favorite restaurant that she forgot to tell me about.

I let my SA decide how chatty we need to be when texting. I’m a horrible texter so I rather prefer if it’s brief! I also don’t stress if she doesn’t respond for hours - I know she’ll reply when she can.

The only time I mention bags are in person and when I initially put it on my wishlist. I never follow up after that.

I kinda treat my relationship with my SA similar to the one with my husband’s friend’s SO - friendly while respecting boundries. HTH!

Hey Guys and Gals, I personally feel so lucky to be offered a Constance 18 (on my wishlist) this year. Prior to being offered, I spent a healthy couple of thousand on variety of beautiful, useful pieces. I was processing an order with my SA remotely 1 day, and I reminded her that I'm dreaming of a C. When we finished processing the order, my SA started texting me options on the Constance. :smile: I'm going to go pick her up next week. Was wondering if I need to buy MORE on the day of picking up the bag?? Will it look bad if I don't?
(PS - I do intend on shopping in the future. I just want to practice healthy shopping and not spend, spend, spend because I'm on cloud nine). Thank you for your reply. I'm eager to hear you!

Hey Guys and Gals, I personally feel so lucky to be offered a Constance 18 (on my wishlist) this year. Prior to being offered, I spent a healthy couple of thousand on variety of beautiful, useful pieces. I was processing an order with my SA remotely 1 day, and I reminded her that I'm dreaming of a C. When we finished processing the order, my SA started texting me options on the Constance. :smile: I'm going to go pick her up next week. Was wondering if I need to buy MORE on the day of picking up the bag?? Will it look bad if I don't?
(PS - I do intend on shopping in the future. I just want to practice healthy shopping and not spend, spend, spend because I'm on cloud nine). Thank you for your reply. I'm eager to hear you!

No, you do not need to buy anything on that day. Your SA has offered you a bag given your loyalty, etc. already and the bag offer is not contingent on your purchases on that day. Plus, you realize that getting a Constance bag can delay you getting a quota bag (i.e., Birkin or Kelly bag), right?

ETA: If I were you, I would just buy a Constance bag alone next week. If you feel urge to buy anything, I would buy it/those in the following week so that your SA will recognize your loyalty more firmly; for example, you can give a good sign that you continue to shop with your SA even after getting a Constance bag.

Also, there has been some debates on whether any same-day purchases would count to your next QB pre-spend or not. To be safe, I would buy those later...

Last edited: