Louis Vuitton VS Chanel

I am a gay guy who has no problem buying bags/accessories marketed towards women if they fit my needs and if I like them, but at least in the way of bags Chanel doesn't do much for me. LV on the other hand... well my wishlist is seemingly endless! I'd much rather win a shopping spree in LV than Chanel. Or Hermès for that matter.

In regards to Chanel: As Nene Leakes said on RHOA, "It just feels like an old lady bag." No offense to anyone. I just don't think it looks youthful. But the women who carry Chanel always look nice, but it's just not my style.

charleston mom, i think there was a recent post that louis vuitton itself was also involved in somewhat similar practices? "thinly veiled prostitute" issues aside, LV also provided services to the nazi party in order to keep the company afloat.

i can understand that you would not support a company that has such a past...but i think honestly there are many more companys still afloat today that did the same.

in addition, the whole karl thing...there are many such instances, do you have issues with all of them, too? like how marc jacobs is designing for LV...so you have a designer, well known and unarguably talented/genius, yes, but not as famous as the old house he is working for...using tha name? i am not sure what is so wrong about that. isn't that what makes fashion great, when you inject new talent into an old house? although it would be silly to call karl "new talent" of course, but i think there is some similarity.

OP, political issues aside, i think that you should just go to your local chanel boutique (even if you have already gone a million times :smile:, try on the bags, and if they thrill your soul, make a purchase. there is always that 14 day window for returns in case you change your mind...although check with whatever vendor you chooset to make your purhase through.

^^ Definitely agreeing to this!! :smile: we all have our own styles, interests and way of living, so a certain brand of handbags will not fit everyone. If many people's lifestyles call for a Louis Vuitton handbag, I guess it's because it can cope up with your needs -- as oppose to those who prefer Chanel over Louis Vuitton because it fits their needs more. Personally, I'm more a Chanel-type girl because I like to dress up in an elegant manner. I'm rarely into casual (like jeans, shirt, etc.) because I prefer wearing dresses, skirts, etc. which "requires" me to use Chanel because of the said "elegance" and "style" and about the history of the brands, personally, I wouldn't even consider that as part of my decision simply because for me, it's the quality and look of the bag I use now and not who the person was. If for example, you may be using a bag that has a "clean" past but the bag's quality isn't good is a terrible choice compared to owning a bag that's got a "dirty" past but an extremely good quality. Don't get me wrong though, I think Louis Vuitton's got amazing quality. I just wanted to clarify how we shouldn't be judging our bags by their maker's past. I think that's just redundant and not worth considering xx

Wow, just realized that this thread is from 2010!

I think we should all agree to disagree. This thread has some posts that are disparaging and snooty. No one is advising the OP since they must have already made their decision by now.

For my own perspective, I love both brands. I always wear the bag according to my clothes of each day. Thinking of Louis Vuitton, I think of casual and fun. With Chanel I think of formality or whenever I want to look chic that day. Can't live with only 1 brand though :biggrin:

For my own perspective, I love both brands. I always wear the bag according to my clothes of each day. Thinking of Louis Vuitton, I think of casual and fun. With Chanel I think of formality or whenever I want to look chic that day. Can't live with only 1 brand though :biggrin:

I totally agree! In my opinion both brands are amazing but it fits different occasions. Like for example, I'd never wear my Chanel bags on a daily basis I just don't believe its an everyday bag. However, with my Louis Vuitton bags I can wear them every day and any time. I believe in variation so for me I gotta have Chanel and Louis. I agree with ashopaholicgirl, limiting to 1 brand either or is not a good idea for me.

Old thread but I started a new one yesterday and it got merged with the old one. That is ok - figured it might happen.
Subject matter doesn't get outdated cause we're not talking about a specific style bag - just chanel vs LV.
I only own 2 chanels - a black lambskin WOC and a black caviar GST with GHW. I'll be 48 in September. I use my WOC for dressy occassions. And while I think of my GST as an everyday bag, I've yet to take it out of the box :sad: It is most expensive bag I own! But it will get used - just waiting for a special day.....

i want to buy more LV but i hesitate bc of the monogram. i realize the usefulness of the speedy and i want a neverfull one day as a baby bag but my heart goes pitter patter for chanel right now.

i do have 2 thompson streets and i am looking for a sobe clutch and i do want an alma amarante. i think i am in LVoe with LV vernis

AEGIS said:
i want to buy more LV but i hesitate bc of the monogram. i realize the usefulness of the speedy and i want a neverfull one day as a baby bag but my heart goes pitter patter for chanel right now.

i do have 2 thompson streets and i am looking for a sobe clutch and i do want an alma amarante. i think i am in LVoe with LV vernis

" hesitate because of monogram " ? Why ?
;(

I like both, but Chanel is too old for me currently. When I get older maybe I will grow more love for it. Right now I love my LVs.

And yes fakes are everywhere. They can make really good fake now. That is why I try to stay away from buying canvas lines and only buy leather goods. It is much much harder to replicate and much easier to spot.

Whenever I go to a Chanel boutique, I feel "wrong".....

Like you're cheating on LV?:roflmfao:

Chanel is too intimidating especially because of its appearance and price. If I had to wear a $4000 bag out somewhere I'll be pretty paranoid. I do want a chanel flap one day but I'd only wear it to nice dinners or fine parties probably ONCE a year. Lol Of course unless you're as rich as Kim K... Then you shouldn't have anything to worry about..:cool:

8 months after my paris haul of lv and chanel bags.... my lv i use daily and am not worried if it rains... my chanel i just used 4x when i attended weddings.... lv is truely value for ur money. But chanel is chanel....:smile: love both:smile: