Loser bags...

I agree with the Vera Bradley naysayers. I don't get it either (with apologies to those who do). They look like my mother's knitting bags (you know, where she keeps her yarn and needles).

Also, in my opinion Dooney & Bourke has ruined its brand with those candy-colored purses. Where is their class and dignity?

Can't say I care for the term "loser" either. They are only handbags ladies! And I too would hate for someones feelings to get hurt in here because one of their bags has been declared a "loser". Saying you don't care for a particular style is one thing, but to attach such a negative term isn't very cool IMO.

there are bags I don't like nor will I ever buy them.. but that is me..... as for the term "loser bags"... don't like that term either.. as has been mentioned by other posters, we all have varied preferences..

I think what christine aus was asking about was hopelessly out-of-style bags, which is why I mentioned Aigner, which used to be all the rage when I was in HS but now when I see it makes me snort. Or those Papagallo bags--anyone remember those? Or the bags made out of parachute fabric which were popular in the 80s?

Sorry about the whole Vera Bradley rant, obviously they are not hopelessly out of style, I just really don't get it. It's like "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"!! And why would anyone want to carry the exact same bag as the next soccer mom in line?? Ooops--there I go again!!!

Anyway, I don't think christine or anyone else means to offend or insult other PFers for their taste. I've read some unbelievably (to me) rude and derogatory comments made by many people on this site and I try not to take it personally because let's face it, it's not personal. Ultimately this site isn't about you, or me, or her, or anyone else. Everyone should be free to express their opinion (within the bounds of common decency) without getting flamed for it.

That's a totally subjective question! It depends on your personal preference. A lot of what I consider "tragically unhip" is very popular with other people! With that said, most anything Coach, Dooney & Burke, and even some LV are always unhip to me. Most of all, anything that is a knockoff is tragically unhip to me even if it's a legal type of knockoff. I really don't have a problem with it but I think any kind of knockoff is very unhip.

Anything in denim with the exception of a large tote/sailor bag is a big no-no for me. I don't care who designs it. Denim is for clothing NOT bags :Push: .

I also don't care for florals. They are too 'floaty' IMO, no matter the design or designer. For me a bag needs to be a classy statement to my outfit, whether a standout exclamation point, the focus of my outfit, or just something sleek and elegant which blends in nicely.

The only "loser bag" I can think of are knock off's. My first bag was the Hampton Scribble coach && I loved it. Took it EVERYWHERE && it even had it's own desk in all my college classes. But with my new mini lin on the way I'm thinking that my Coach bag will take a back seat. I'm so sick of seeing knock off's @ my college that I might throw something hard @ the next person I see with them.

I agree 100 percent! :flowers:

I've seen bags where I see it and think..yuck, who in their right mind would wear that? But next thing I know someone walks by and totally pulls it off!

LMAO at "loser bags"! the only bags I can think of at the meoment are Fiorelli and Mandarina duck. Granted they're not high end designers but I used to loooove their bags. but then they came out with the nasty fabric and recycles ideas!

Oh, and Radley. just because you tie a scotty dog to a bag doesn't give you a "get out of jail" pass for having no ideas!

I personally don't like Vera Bradley bags either (I"m in VA so see a lot of them too)... her floral patterned bags are just soooo.... floral.

But I have to admit I have one of her microfiber ones-- in a gorgeous burnt orange color. No pattern, just all one color, in a microfiber not a cotton quilt. I guess it's her 'high end' line, but haven't seen it in this color or style on anyone else so far... I just loved the color and hadn't ever heard of Vera Bradley when I got it (was in the spring, so I bought it early for the fall, and love it now)... SInce then I see those floral (especially the pink ones) purses/totes everywhere! I heard someone in the shop say that it's a favorite of teachers, because they could fit a lot of lesson plans etc in it.

Just not my taste, but I wouldn't call it a 'loser' bag.

I think hopelessly out of date would be those sequin bags right now (however just wait a few years they'll come 'back' in fashion Im sure)... or fakes (designer inspired) which were NEVER in fashion.

I think this thread is mean-spirited. Forget trying to 'explain' what the OP 'meant' by 'loser bag'. The truth is people are going to read this - and feel terrible b/c now their bag (which they probably spent a WHACK of $$ on) is now deemed a 'loser bag'.

As an owner of a beautiful Dooney and Bourke bag - I am happy to see that it took FOURTEEN posts before someone, YET AGAIN, deemed D&B to be the antithesis of cool. Before I joined this forum - I had NO CLUE that D&B had a stigma. I spent a lot of $$ on it and I get compliments all the time. Now my joy and pride in this bag is tainted because of what I have read here over the last few weeks. But I still carry it and I always will.

But seriously - why? Everyone has different taste. One gal's 'loser bag' is another gal's treasure. Let's not gang up. :flowers:

I agree that 'loser bags' isn't the best term! :s

A lot of people I know hate LV but I will always love them! :heart:

Agreed on the Vera Bradley bags... I just don't get those either. I think of potholders. I did buy an adorable cell phone holder from VB one time though... ended up giving it to my MIL who adores VB.

That said, I once bought my MIL a VB bag that she wanted... in an upscale gift shop. The SA said to me "Don't you just luuuuuuv Vera???? -- and without thinking, I said "Not really. This is for my MIL. These look like giant potholders to me."

A lady in line behind me had a VB in her hand to buy... I saw her turn around and go put it back and I felt so darn bad! Not sure if my comment affected her decision or not :s but since then, I keep my big mouth shut. :angel:

i don't think dooney and burke are "loser" bags i just don't like them. it's just not my style. i also don't like those vera bradley bags. i didnt know what a vera bradley bag was and then i saw one and thought they are not for me. i like classic looking bags. i love coach but not everything coach does they do make fabulous bags.
i'm also not a fan of those fake coach/gucci bags. the ones that look like a coach bag but a closer look those c's look like g's. eww i hate them and all fakes!