List of Designer bags produced in China

Any info is good, I can differentiate when putting the list together, I think first some sort of brainstorming is good to see what we got.
This could also apply to designers who partly produce in China or unusual locations. I wanted to included this info in my OP but can not edit it anymore.

And thanks for the info everyone! Very helpful!
I am taking notes.

Do you think it would be good if the list notes where some contemporary designers produce since not ALL produce in China? That way a buyer could still pick and chose.

Yes, for the list to be useful it needs to be accurate and cover an array of brands, i guess what i mean is if someone says i will avoid all Longchamp because they are made in China? that is not true, some are.. many are not.. it can be confusing otherwise and creates sweeping generalizations. :smile:

The idea is good, KNOWLEDGE Is key, be an informed buyer i always say but your knowledge is only as good as the info can you get, so if it's lacking then your not gaining what you need to know to make informed choices.

I'm not sure if the OP is asking for designers who only make bags in China, make some of their bags in China, or make some parts of their bags in China and finish them elsewhere, and are not actually labelled Made in China???

Long champs are made in China, France , Tunisia, Morocco, Romania, and another country I can;t remember

It's important to note though, as some then think ALL bags are and state as much, we want to spread accurate information so others can make informed choices. :smile: We all already know there is far to much smoke and mirrors on the "actual" made in origins of many of these bags, we want clarity. Heck, we deserve it.

Thank you for clearing this up Mariapia! :smile:

It's important to note though, as some then think ALL bags are and state as much, we want to spread accurate information so others can make informed choices. :smile: We all already know there is far to much smoke and mirrors on the "actual" made in origins of many of these bags, we want clarity. Heck, we deserve it.

I'd like to find out accurate infornation too. And it will take a bit of research.
Of course when posting the list I'd make sure to note that this is the most accurate info I found and that anyone interested in buying should do a little extra research.
I'll make sure the list can be updated as well in case there are changes in production :smile:

Marc by Marc Jacobs , made in Asia.
Marc Jacobs New York..... Indonesia !
I checked this morning!

The info I got was from an article my phone won't let me link but titled "7 HIGH end brands made in China"

I read Botkier is made in Indonesia, mine was made in China.
The Hayden Harnett bags I have were made in China, as is my Kooba. The Tano is made in India and the Kate Spade in China.

Last edited:
Massaccesi handbags are made in Italy! Marco Massaccesi makes every bag bespoke for an excellent price. Check out the Massaccesi thread, right in this section.

I'd second that! It's so sad to see all these big brands producing in China. Nothing against them... it's just irritating that these brands have huge markups and also don't value the local craftmanship and tradition. Long live Massaccesi :biggrin:

Reactions: southernbelle43
Oh I did not know that about MCM! I do own a MCM bag too!

It would also be interesting to know about bags made in other countries outside of Europe like Tunisia. I have a SB Chloé bag mde in Tunisia.

I can add brands (not all premiere)

Burberry
Coach
Armani

All made in China

Not only China but Asia in general or east Europe, they are driven by profit (low labour cost, less quality of raw materials...)...

There was a French TV programme about those Chinese workers making bags in their basement for an "Official " Italian manufacturer working for a very high end brand.
The manufacturer subcontracted the job.....
€ 50 per bag!
The brand said they were not aware of that.....
The brand was... Chanel!

I am a bit confused about this- let me see if I got this right: this was at a factory of an Italian manufacturer, and in their basement there were Chinese workers making the bags? And they were bags for Chanel?

The nationality of workers do not bother me, especially since Chanel bags made in Italy are known to be superior to others such as France or Spain in terms of quality (as many TPFers will agree.) I just wasn't aware that Chanel would give out subcontracts, especially to a manufacturer that doesn't seem to be totally on the up and up... I would be very interested in watching this. Any info about the program?

Reactions: Alice in Purseland
This gets into a weird ethnocentrist territory that disturbs me. Do we or should we care if a Lithuanian-born person, now a French citizen, sits behind the bench at an Hermes workshop in France? Or if an African-born leatherworker is in the Chanel workshop? Why is Chinese nationality an issue within the production of a Europe-located luxury business?

The point of complaint about China as a locus of production is, theoretically, not about the employment of Chinese people per se but about conditions and labor to cost ratios. Making an issue about the nationality of the workers in European luxury production can be a slippery slope toward "purity" concepts of the bad old days, and certainly not reflective of today's societies.

Thank you for saying this :heart:

I am a bit confused about this- let me see if I got this right: this was at a factory of an Italian manufacturer, and in their basement there were Chinese workers making the bags? And they were bags for Chanel?

The nationality of workers do not bother me, especially since Chanel bags made in Italy are known to be superior to others such as France or Spain in terms of quality (as many TPFers will agree.) I just wasn't aware that Chanel would give out subcontracts, especially to a manufacturer that doesn't seem to be totally on the up and up... I would be very interested in watching this. Any info about the program?

No, the Chinese workers made the bags which the manufacturer had subcontracted to them , in their own houses or apartments......
I watched the programme 2 or 3 years ago.
At that time I had written about it on TPF .
It was an Envoyé Spécial programme, I don't remember the date unfortunately.

Reactions: Alice in Purseland
Marc by Marc Jacobs , made in Asia.
Marc Jacobs New York..... Indonesia !
I checked this morning!

Talking about Marc Jacobs Nnew York, today I saw a sort of Speedy bag that sells for € 900! Made in Indonesia as I said earlier!
I told the SA that for around € 600 I could get Longchamp Pénélope....which is made in France and whose leather is wonderful!
So when all those brands say that , because of the cost in European countries, they have no choice but relocate to Asia, they are lying !
They are only interested in higher profit.