List of Designer bags produced in China

Oh I did not know that about MCM! I do own a MCM bag too!

It would also be interesting to know about bags made in other countries outside of Europe like Tunisia. I have a SB Chloé bag mde in Tunisia.

I can add brands (not all premiere)

Burberry
Coach
Armani

All made in China

Actually not all Coach are, i can go through all of mine and find other MFG's places.. Vietnam, Philippines and so forth ... basically you have to look at the label. Varies.

I know out of the two LC LP's i own one is China one is not.. Need to grab it to look it up... I know it starts with a "T" ..

Actually not all Coach are, i can go through all of mine and find other MFG's places.. Vietnam, Philippines and so forth ... basically you have to look at the label. Varies.

I know out of the two LC LP's i own one is China one is not.. Need to grab it to look it up... I know it starts with a "T" ..

I'm not sure if the OP is asking for designers who only make bags in China, make some of their bags in China, or make some parts of their bags in China and finish them elsewhere, and are not actually labelled Made in China???

Long champs are made in China, France , Tunisia, Morocco, Romania, and another country I can;t remember

I'm not sure if the OP is asking for designers who only make bags in China, make some of their bags in China, or make some parts of their bags in China and finish them elsewhere, and are not actually labelled Made in China???

Long champs are made in China, France , Tunisia, Morocco, Romania, and another country I can;t remember

Mauritius!

Reactions: Cogmarks
Sophie Hulme makes bags in italy but it looks like her charms (the Fendi bag bug look-alikes) are not. I looked up Nordstrom and Barney's and they both have this charm marked as "imported." Anyone know the exact country?

Sophie Hulme makes bags in italy but it looks like her charms (the Fendi bag bug look-alikes) are not. I looked up Nordstrom and Barney's and they both have this charm marked as "imported." Anyone know the exact country?

Polyvore states the Marcia charm is made in Italy but for some other charms it says 'imported'.

You know, I actually saw a video of Dana Thomas on YouTube (aka author of Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster) and she claims that there are native Chinese workers who have been hired and relocated to Italy to craft some of these high end, designer bags as most of the artisans' descendants do not wish to follow in their fathers' footsteps. So, you are not getting a made in China bag, but it is still crafted by a Chinese worker who has been trained to make the same leather good.

Now, whether this is true for a lot of brands, I am not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. Btw, she is terrible at public speaking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58UT5zjFbbs

You know, I actually saw a video of Dana Thomas on YouTube (aka author of Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster) and she claims that there are native Chinese workers who have been hired and relocated to Italy to craft some of these high end, designer bags as most of the artisans' descendants do not wish to follow in their fathers' footsteps. So, you are not getting a made in China bag, but it is still crafted by a Chinese worker who has been trained to make the same leather good.]

This gets into a weird ethnocentrist territory that disturbs me. Do we or should we care if a Lithuanian-born person, now a French citizen, sits behind the bench at an Hermes workshop in France? Or if an African-born leatherworker is in the Chanel workshop? Why is Chinese nationality an issue within the production of a Europe-located luxury business?

The point of complaint about China as a locus of production is, theoretically, not about the employment of Chinese people per se but about conditions and labor to cost ratios. Making an issue about the nationality of the workers in European luxury production can be a slippery slope toward "purity" concepts of the bad old days, and certainly not reflective of today's societies.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, I don't but I would say Asia...
Fendi bag bugs are Italian made and cost nearly 4 Times as much.
Sophie Hulme charms are very cute too!

You know, I actually saw a video of Dana Thomas on YouTube (aka author of Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster) and she claims that there are native Chinese workers who have been hired and relocated to Italy to craft some of these high end, designer bags as most of the artisans' descendants do not wish to follow in their fathers' footsteps. So, you are not getting a made in China bag, but it is still crafted by a Chinese worker who has been trained to make the same leather good.

Now, whether this is true for a lot of brands, I am not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised. Btw, she is terrible at public speaking.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=58UT5zjFbbs

There was a French TV programme about those Chinese workers making bags in their basement for an "Official " Italian manufacturer working for a very high end brand.
The manufacturer subcontracted the job.....
€ 50 per bag!
The brand said they were not aware of that.....
The brand was... Chanel!

There was a French TV programme about those Chinese workers making bags in their basement for an "Official " Italian manufacturer working for a very high end brand.
The manufacturer subcontracted the job.....
€ 50 per bag!
The brand said they were not aware of that.....
The brand was... Chanel!

How is a big brand not aware of their suppliers working condition? I smell rats here. This is why I dislike Chanel, well, one of the reasons.

Polyvore states the Marcia charm is made in Italy but for some other charms it says 'imported'.

Unfortunately, I don't but I would say Asia...
Fendi bag bugs are Italian made and cost nearly 4 Times as much.
Sophie Hulme charms are very cute too!

Thank you!! I know their rhinestone charms are made in Italy, but the furry ones weren't for some reason. I'm definitely considering on purchasing one when it goes on sale.

I know I already said Prada, but I'm going to add their other brand Miu Miu in here since they are made in Turkey.

Not listed or thought of as a Premiere designer, but Michael Kors has a lot of his bags made in China, Vietnam,& Indonesia; even a few have been made in Bangladesh. He also has bags made in Turkey & Italy, but these are his higher end Collection bags.

Any info is good, I can differentiate when putting the list together, I think first some sort of brainstorming is good to see what we got.
This could also apply to designers who partly produce in China or unusual locations. I wanted to included this info in my OP but can not edit it anymore.

And thanks for the info everyone! Very helpful!
I am taking notes.

Do you think it would be good if the list notes where some contemporary designers produce since not ALL produce in China? That way a buyer could still pick and chose.