Less is more????????

I'm all for streamlining, if you really think you won't use a certain bag anymore. If you feel one of them isn't "you", sell/donate it and enjoy the increased simplicity of what you are keeping, and the knowledge that you have room to add to your collection something that you will truly love.

This is a very interesting thread. I find that when I get dispose of things I am not using, no longer need, or just make me feel cluttered, the result is good. If you throw away junk, its good. If you sell things, its better - you find that you have funds to get something else that you need more. But the best is to give something away, particularly something valuable, to someone else who wants or needs it. When you do this, great things rush into your life. I dont know why this is the case.
It actually escalates, and happens when you least expect it.
That said, I still struggle with the question of more versus less, mostly when I consider buying more bags. I read recently an article where a woman was quoted as saying she has a large collection of birkin bags but never wears them with a suit or dress, but only with sweat pants (gee. if i didnt carry my birkin bags with a suit or a dress, what in the world are they for). It made me think, would I like a "large collection" or am I more comfortable with having three a and no more, all of which I use. If I got a fourth somehow, would I still qualify as a minimalist, or will I have lost my credentials in that respect. Once a black kelly bag materializes for me, should that be my only one. Do I buy a blue jean bag at some point, just because I think it would be fun, although I clearly dont need it. Would it be excessive to have, say, 6 or 7 bags. All these questions. This is why I found this to be such a thought provoking thread.
Not to be morbid about it, but you get to a certain age and you start questioning the wisdom of delaying gratification anymore.

This thread makes me feel so guilty!!! Some of you have given up other bag brands such as LV, chanel among others and focus more on H bags... but me I am so bad so bad that I buy whatever I like!!! I am so bad of letting go.. I tend to hoard!!! I like them
confused1.gif
all... Very bad!!!
001_unsure.gif

Not to be morbid about it, but you get to a certain age and you start questioning the wisdom of delaying gratification anymore.

well, you pounded the nail right on the head as far as i'm concerned. this is a factor for me, as i realize i'm starting to "peak" lol, and well, i don't know how much longer before the descent.:rolleyes:

i'm trying something out - let me know what you think:

34 pieces

Well, jedimaster, this philosophy has cost me a small fortune over the past few years. I've filled in the missing gaps in my closet, jewel box and garage, all because life's too short to wait.

Well, jedimaster, this philosophy has cost me a small fortune over the past few years. I've filled in the missing gaps in my closet, jewel box and garage, all because life's too short to wait.

I had the same theory once "Life's too short" so I hoard everything, see what I like and I buy.. but most of the items were sitted unused, mint condition. Clothes, shoes, makeup blah blah blah.

Looking back right now, only those classic items last thro' the times. I am more prudent with what I purchase now even small ticket items, they do add up and now a days, I look at them and go.. "ohh that's 3 H scarves" so it's a good "Girl Maths" :graucho:

Like I mentioned earlier, I did that couple months ago, it's still very hard to stick to "Less is more" theory. Especially when shopping, I love colors, such a bad temptation when everything look nice. But it really help when I get dressed, everything is so easy to match, especially those mix and match pieces. Individual tops matches matching colored cardigans and they were bought separately.. seamless match. So it does pay off.

I cleared my wardrobe immediate after the color-me-beautiful analysis was done. I removed all the errant clothing into another room. By the 2nd week, they are on their way to salvation army. Shoes, same thing. Bags were next.
Some of those "sentimental" items, were kept longer, but now, also given away. I think once you start, the rest gets easier.

As for bags, I still have my LVs, they are excellent for rainy days here in Hot Humid Singapore (2 seasons : Rain or Sun). I have my Longchamp, my work bag which I abused totally.. I :heart: it - it takes the abuse very well and it's cheap, when they give way, I can just get more. My Chanels.. basically, the bags that I know that will grow old with me are what I am keeping.

I have not plunged into H bags yet, I am not sure if my current lifestyle can carry the bag without worrying about being spotted by rain. (esp box leather) or some disaster stuff lurking around the corner. I am always caught in the rain (I hate umbrellas and unless it is pouring I won't use them). Moreover, I play with children alot. I am considering a vintage H bag to test out my H bag phobia. :sweatdrop: We will see what happens... next ;)

QUOTE=hermesgroupie;2320868]Since we're having a friendly debate, how about the old argument of "You can't take it with you!"[/QUOTE]

^^^ but like Rose junior says....'I'll use it when I you don't want it any more....'

Since we're having a friendly debate, how about the old argument of "You can't take it with you!"

i don't think this contradicts the less-is-more theory, or at least not my interpretation of it. lol
having less stuff can equal more space, more time, maybe more money, to enjoy other things. for me, it's definitely still about making the most of what i've got - that's what gives me satisfaction. so less X equals more Y for me, because more is more. lol

I say to get rid of the ones you don't really use...simplifying does feel good and I find that you really don't miss the extras. Keep the bags that you truly love and will use a lot...the others can go to new homes for someone else to love:love:

This month I have been giving away many bags and a lot of clothes from my past. It feels really good. I don't think I can go down to just one bag, but I am certainly ruling out a lot of other styles.
It never took me a long time to get dressed, but now it takes even less time, and I love it.

I had the same theory once "Life's too short" so I hoard everything, see what I like and I buy.. but most of the items were sitted unused, mint condition. Clothes, shoes, makeup blah blah blah.

I am considering a vintage H bag to test out my H bag phobia. :sweatdrop: We will see what happens... next ;)

Cool Idea Princess...I am seriously H Bag phobic also...and I live in an opposite climate as you do...Today it snowed and we'll probably have 4-8 more inches in the next few days...LOL...maybe one day is what I say tomyself also...:yes:

That's a very cool idea :smile: Have you read the book Elegance ? It's really cute and it's practical even tho' abit out dated (now).

no, never heard of it, thanks. i'll check it out.
my mom is always teasing me because i won't go out in sweats, etc. i never do too formal or anything, but i never ever do too casual either. middle of the road kind of girl, fashion-wise.
i'll update my site once every day. i wonder how long i can go. lol