Lady Dior clubhouse

Hello everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first Lady Dior in the medium size preloved but I’m a bit confused.

I went to look at one and I found it a little big and bulky. Especially at the bottom.

Today I went to look at two others and I could swear they were a little slimmer and more compact which I liked better.

I’ve compared pictures of the three and I’ve noticed the bottom is attached at a different part of the quilting. I hope I explained that clearly.

Is that just random depending on the batch or did Dior change the measurements of the medium Lady Dior over the years?

Also, there was one red Lady Dior that I like but it has those squished sides at the bottom. Will that worsen over time and should I not get that one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 32D8D93A-2106-4A2F-8CDF-D4BA5198DA0D.png
    32D8D93A-2106-4A2F-8CDF-D4BA5198DA0D.png
    368.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 0BC47547-626F-456C-9F62-5E677E332401.png
    0BC47547-626F-456C-9F62-5E677E332401.png
    235.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 315BC61A-BCCA-47CB-9D31-0A755203C6D0.png
    315BC61A-BCCA-47CB-9D31-0A755203C6D0.png
    503.6 KB · Views: 46
Hello everyone,

I’m looking to buy my first Lady Dior in the medium size preloved but I’m a bit confused.

I went to look at one and I found it a little big and bulky. Especially at the bottom.

Today I went to look at two others and I could swear they were a little slimmer and more compact which I liked better.

I’ve compared pictures of the three and I’ve noticed the bottom is attached at a different part of the quilting. I hope I explained that clearly.

Is that just random depending on the batch or did Dior change the measurements of the medium Lady Dior over the years?

Also, there was one red Lady Dior that I like but it has those squished sides at the bottom. Will that worsen over time and should I not get that one?

Thanks!
The blue and red Lady Dior were from after 2012 when they started sewing the sides from the outside like a "sellier" style to strengthen the structure of the bag. The pink Lady Dior is from before, and it is the original "retourne" style where the bag is made inside-out and then inverted. This method hides the stitching but the bags lose their structure more easily.

The wear on the red Lady Dior will worsen over time as the leather above the corners has softened. It will slouch more.

The blue and red Lady Dior were from after 2012 when they started sewing the sides from the outside like a "sellier" style to strengthen the structure of the bag. The pink Lady Dior is from before, and it is the original "retourne" style where the bag is made inside-out and then inverted. This method hides the stitching but the bags lose their structure more easily.

The wear on the red Lady Dior will worsen over time as the leather above the corners has softened. It will slouch more.

Thanks, Averagejoe, you’re amazing. So much respect for people who have such in-depth knowledge of a brand, including the technical aspects.

I would never have noticed these differences in stitching but I see now what you mean.

I guess part of the wear on the older retourne sewn models is to develop that “growing plump” at the bottom and on the “sellier” style models the squished in panels above the bottom effect?
Are both kinda inevitable? I noticed also many of the “sellier” style bags in very good condition have this issue.

I definitely like the plump at the bottom less than the squished in sides. I don’t mind some preloved wear but I also don’t want my bag to end up looking like one of those really sad looking Lady Diors you see on resale sites.

I also looked at a black retourne style bag but it didn’t look as plump at the bottom as the pink one. Apparently it was older and comes without shoulder strap (not sure if it was lost or pre shoulder strap). Is there a difference between “older” and more recent retourne style Lady Diors in terms of structure?

Sensible choice would be black but contrary to my expextations I really fell for the red. Dior has a lovely red. I saw another red in better condition but it is also developing one squished in panel.
I could get the blue but it’s more expensive and if those squished in panels are inevitable I could save myself the money.

Sorry for the novel. Just want to add that I love how everyone on this forum shares their opinions and knowledge.

Attachments

• 4B07C661-CED7-4FE4-A33D-F45807625ECC.png
    4B07C661-CED7-4FE4-A33D-F45807625ECC.png
    245.6 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks, Averagejoe, you’re amazing. So much respect for people who have such in-depth knowledge of a brand, including the technical aspects.

I would never have noticed these differences in stitching but I see now what you mean.

I guess part of the wear on the older retourne sewn models is to develop that “growing plump” at the bottom and on the “sellier” style models the squished in panels above the bottom effect?
Are both kinda inevitable? I noticed also many of the “sellier” style bags in very good condition have this issue.

I definitely like the plump at the bottom less than the squished in sides. I don’t mind some preloved wear but I also don’t want my bag to end up looking like one of those really sad looking Lady Diors you see on resale sites.

I also looked at a black retourne style bag but it didn’t look as plump at the bottom as the pink one. Apparently it was older and comes without shoulder strap (not sure if it was lost or pre shoulder strap). Is there a difference between “older” and more recent retourne style Lady Diors in terms of structure?

Sensible choice would be black but contrary to my expextations I really fell for the red. Dior has a lovely red. I saw another red in better condition but it is also developing one squished in panel.
I could get the blue but it’s more expensive and if those squished in panels are inevitable I could save myself the money.

Sorry for the novel. Just want to add that I love how everyone on this forum shares their opinions and knowledge.
With use, leather will soften, so slouching will happen to most bags. Leather that does not do that is usually reinforced with a lot of materials, and/or is heavily plasticized on the surface, making it no longer look and feel like leather (which I feel defeats the purpose of using leather in the first place).

All "retourne" styles which were stitched and then inverted tend to have similar wear, although the very old Lady Dior bags tend to bulge out a bit less (but the Cannage was also less puffy back then).

If the black Lady Dior does not come with a strap, then it means that the strap has been misplaced. It should come with a strap.

With use, leather will soften, so slouching will happen to most bags. Leather that does not do that is usually reinforced with a lot of materials, and/or is heavily plasticized on the surface, making it no longer look and feel like leather (which I feel defeats the purpose of using leather in the first place).

All "retourne" styles which were stitched and then inverted tend to have similar wear, although the very old Lady Dior bags tend to bulge out a bit less (but the Cannage was also less puffy back then).

If the black Lady Dior does not come with a strap, then it means that the strap has been misplaced. It should come with a strap.
I agree with Sophia2 - am very impressed by your technical knowledge! I used to think these dents / squished in panels on the lady dior was due to lack of care in use or storage and didn't realise it was due to the bag losing its structure.

Is this a common issue with the newer "sellier" style and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

I agree with Sophia2 - am very impressed by your technical knowledge! I used to think these dents / squished in panels on the lady dior was due to lack of care in use or storage and didn't realise it was due to the bag losing its structure.

Is this a common issue with the newer "sellier" style and is there anything that can be done to prevent it?
This is not common. It depends on how people use and store the bag. Using a purse organizer will help prevent this, as well as storing the bag with its original paper stuffing when the bag is not in use.

You’re right about how that’s part of the beauty of leather.

I’m thinking about getting the black one. The structure looked very much intact but it had an insert. So now I’m wondering whether I should ask to view it without insert.

Reactions: averagejoe
You’re right about how that’s part of the beauty of leather.

I’m thinking about getting the black one. The structure looked very much intact but it had an insert. So now I’m wondering whether I should ask to view it without insert.
The insert probably helped maintain its shape over the lifetime of the bag, but removing it shouldn't get the bag to just sag. I do suggest using it with an insert so that the structure of the bag lasts longer.

I went for the black one after they decreased the price yesterday^^

It’s the old retourne stitched style. She is from 2009. Almost vintage.

The handles do flop from left to right but I understand that’s fairly normal for vintage bags (please correct me if I’m wrong)?
Congratulations! The handles sway from left to right on new Lady Dior bags too because of the way the handles are attached

Reactions: sanarae