Ladies, could you be engaged without a ring?

I've been blissfully married for more than 10 years without one, so I suppose I would have to answer the question in the affirmative! :smile:

If we ever had enough money to buy precious metals or gemstones, there are so many other things, including family members, that we would spend it on instead! :smile:

My husband and I met later in life and so he had the financial means to buy me a diamond ring. If we were younger and he didn't have the money I would have gotten engaged without a ring for sure. With that said, I love my ring and all, but that doesn't mean that I don't want a bigger stone later! :graucho: What can you say, a diamond is a girl's best friend! :P

I didn't get a ring until 2 weeks before I got married. When I did, it was a complete surprise and very romantic. I was perfectly content being engaged without a ring. My hubby asks every year on our anniversary if I would like to upgrade (we've been married 13 years), but it isn't important to me. I love my ring and I adore my husband.

LOL, I just got engaged without a ring. But we're looking for one - I'll probably get a simple Tiffany solitaire in the end, but I've only just started looking. He didn't know what I'd like so he's letting me pick it out.

Hmmm, I think the ring is also a symbol of the man's success and ability to plan and save, two very important things no matter when you start out.

I love my fiancee more than anything in this world, but I'm not going to lie, I love having a ring! I put in my time with him and I definitely think I deserve it! that being said, I wouldn't have cared if it was a little speck of a diamond!

I was engaged for 6 months before I found the perfect ring. I got so tired of people saying things like, "When you get engaged," implying that my engagement wouldn't be real until I got my ring. I've been happily married now for almost 3 years. While I love my ring, it's not the end-all be-all in a marriage. Marriage is so much more than a ring or a dress or a perfect wedding reception.

My parents didn't have much money when they started dating. (My dad was still paying child support / alimony.) My parents joke my mom's ring is very minimalist!

If he could afford one, I'd like a ring.

I agree with what Kore said: "I got so tired of people saying things like, "When you get engaged," implying that my engagement wouldn't be real until I got my ring. [snip] Marriage is so much more than a ring or a dress or a perfect wedding reception."

Still, I want that ring for whatever it's worth.

I saw this on another message board. So many women were saying that it wouldn't matter to them, as long as the love was there...:hrmm:

I was the only woman in the thread who said that I would want an engagement ring.:shame: I expected one and received one. He expected to give one...the idea of an engagement ring was in his head before he even met me. But I was materialistic for even expecting. :rolleyes: Please.

I was honest...I just would not have considered it an engagement unless I has received a ring (expensive or not). I needed evidence.:roflmfao:

And I liked following tradition.

Am I alone?

The fact that this guy could express his love for me and knowing the fact that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, would be enough for me. A ring would be a bonus, I dont need it.

The fact that this guy could express his love for me and knowing the fact that he wants to spend the rest of his life with me, would be enough for me. A ring would be a bonus, I dont need it.

That's very sweet.

I think it would be interesting from a social science point of view to do a study on how women view the importance of a ring and compare it to divorce rate.

I'm quite traditional so I don't think I would feel engaged without a ring :shame: It doesn't have to be a diamond and the pricetag should be according to his financial status. To me it's a symbol of our commitment to marriage and ideally it would be something classic that our children/grandchildren could someday inherit.

Oh my....Is this a younger generation thinking????? Of course the ring is important. The thinking in my day was it should cost what a man makes in a year. I've been married several times and I do have quite a nice collection :biggrin:

Yeah....it would stand to reason that's why you've been married several times! IMHO

If you really love the person the ring doesn't matter...if it does then just get the ring because if you get married I'd bet money that you'll be divorced!:supacool:

To me, I needed a ring to show committment and to move on to the next level. Even though I knew we were going to be getting married, it didn't feel like it until I had the ring.