Ladies, could you be engaged without a ring?

I personally do not like wearing rings & have told my bf that if he does buy me a ring it would be a waste of money as it would be sitting in a drawer somwhere however I did tell him that instead of getting me a ring that we could purchase 3-4 bags instead. Can you tell that I belong to this forum :biggrin:

sonya said:
I totally agree.

But I thought it was just 2 months salary.... :lol: I'd be happy to get a ring worth a full year's salary though! (I can get a flawless D 5 caret Harry Winston with that! ... or even larger! :yahoo:)

:lol:...I read somewhere that the stats are that the average amount spent on the ring is two months, though it would be nice if it were a whole year's worth!

coco-nut said:
I could, and did. But sometimes I think I should have been like my friend Mimi. She told her boyfriend early on (she was a 17 year old freshman when she met him) that she'd never marry a guy who didn't give her a HUMONGOUS diamond ring. I'm sure she said this with a laugh, as she's one of the prettiest and most fun girls I've ever known.

Her boyfriend took her seriously though, and within a year, started a business with one of his frat brothers when he was a junior in college. They sold it six or seven years later for $32 million. She'd already gotten her ring by then, and her first house.

Fifteen years later, her husband has started and sold another two or three companies and they're worth hundreds of millions. Some guys just need a challenge, y'know?

I wish I had done that.:roflmfao:

I have been married for almost 12yrs. We were engaged for about 3 years, I had a ring the entire time.

It was not my dream ring but for me it shows my husband put some thought and financial input into the decision.

I think it depends on the people.

I am from the south I think we look for the e-ring.

I know women who have stated engaged with no ring and the wedding never takes place. A friend has been engaged for the last 3 yrs no ring, she recently found out he is married with children???

I don't need a ring to say I'm engaged although people seem to ask for it as a symbol. I have a gold ring with a ruby stone and BF got that for me shortly after he asked me to marry him. I hate it when people keep on telling me it's a promise ring cause it's not!!! BF is more traditional and he's getting me another ring still for when we announce it to our parents (our parents do NOT know we are engaged).

I'll be honest and say that a ring was important to me. Given it wasn't everything but I definately wanted one. As far as being engaged without one, for me it would be a little odd in a sense. I do know people who've done this though.

Oh really? I am definitely above average so I deserve an "above average" ring! :biggrin:

shu said:
:lol:...I read somewhere that the stats are that the average amount spent on the ring is two months, though it would be nice if it were a whole year's worth!

Absolutely! I am engaged and have no engagement ring. For both of us it's the second time around.

In fact we're not even goin to have "traditional" wedding rings. We've chosen a 16th century reprodution "posey" ring. As soon as we saw these we were sure that they were the perfect rings for us. Mine will say, "My beloved is mine and I am his". Of course, his will say, "My beloved is mine and I am hers." We have them in hand already in platinum and I cannot wait until July to wear mine.

RT001R-STG.jpg

Darn typos, had to edit

shu said:

I've heard two mths salary as well.........

I'm a firm beleiver in upgrades though. :yes:

edsbgrl said:
I've heard two mths salary as well.........

I'm a firm beleiver in upgrades though. :yes:
Funny you should say this. Although I did get engaged without a ring (I honestly didn't want one at that time in my life,) I did get one a few years later.

My mother has constantly upgraded her ring every decade or so, but thankfully, never upgraded my dad (not that it's even possible, because he was the best.)

But anyway, my husband and I took her version 3.0 diamond and put it in a new setting for me. It's awesome, and I never expect to upgrade. Since my mother will be long gone before my four year old son ever marries, as she's 83 and ill, my future daughter-in-law will have a killah ring.

USCgerl said:
An engagement, to me, is a promise of love :heart: , not a ring. BUT that is my own opinion and to each their own! :idea:

Agree 110%. Yes, I would love a ring, but it doesnt matter to me. We currently dont have rings or a marriage license but he still introduces me to his people as his wife.