Jewlery Insurance

Thanks for the thread! This is so helpful!!

Please forgive my additional questions, but I was just wondering, since my homeowner's insurance policy is not enough to cover my jewelry, should I still insure it PER item?

Because I have been doing some research on this, and I realize that when one buys the insurance per item for any jewellery that is worn often, or is not locked in the safe exceeding a certain amount of time, the premium amount is rather significant.....at 1-3% of the value insured per annum!

That's can add up to a couple of grand a year if we insure every piece....No? :sweatdrop:

Is there a company that anyone can please recommend with a more comprehensive insurance solution specifically for jewelry, antiques etc...? Thanks!:flowers:

I have State Farm and they are very reasonable on the rates to insure jewelry items above and beyond the homeowner's policy. You may also want to consider a safe deposit box, as I think using those can decrease your premium.

Lloyd's of London offers jewelry insurance as well, I'm not to sure of the premiums or what they do and don't cover... but they're pretty reputable.. and I heard there turn around time is quick.

I was wondering the same. Does anyone know of a company that will allow the insured to pick out the replacement in case something does happen. I read somewhere that some insurance companies will just replace e-rings with similar color/cut/clarity on their own w/o giving the insured the option to select.

I have renters insurance through where i get my car insurance (state farm) and i have both my e-ring and my wedding band insured...i even ensured my hubbys wedding band because i am sure at some point he will probally lose it!

Ok, so what if you're a new yorker, like myself, and I rent an apartment. What are my options? My ring and band are worth a bundle and I would like to be on the safe side w/insurance.

Ack, I've never even THOUGHT of insuring my bags! But I probably should! :wtf:

ack! i rent as well, *and* i never even THOUGHT about bags! is there an insurance company that will let you buy a policy just to cover bags/shoes/jewelry if you don't have regular homeowners' insurance?

We have State Farm HO insurance and the way that our agent's office handles it is to have an appraiser (good one, on the Pricescope recommended list) come into their office twice a year. You book an appointment to bring everything that you want covered in. He does the appraisal and leaves it with the secretary and then she sends out a bill for your rider for the year. It is super easy.

Hi Gals,

Could you let me know what insurance companies you used for your engagement rings? My fiance and I have been shopping around for a diamond and I would like it to get insured right away.

For the gals with the large rocks, where do you insure yours?
I read that most companies under the renters' and homeowners policies only insured up to $20k only.

Thanks!

If you have a homeowner/renter policy you can add a floater or addendum or whatever the company calls it for the ring. You need to provide an appraisal by a certified gemologist and this is what the insurance company will use to base the cost of the extra premium. i have read that there are specific jewelry insurance companies but my jewelry is with the company that insures my home.

We have Firemans Fund, have had it for 9 years, no problems.
I've heard Chubb is good too. Our agent told us to pick one, these are
who we could pick from for our needs.
Both these let you have unlimited riders for jewelry &
collectibles. Which many companies don't.