jealousy about your bags?

lucretias

I am the one that I want!
O.G.
Jan 4, 2006
Okay, I wasn't sure where to put this as it is about handbags, but not a particular style, more about people's responses.

I work in a small office (~15-20 people) and I have my own private office. Everyday I bring my purse to work and leave it on a chair in my office. I've never worried about theft, (that may not be smart.) so it there for people to see when they pass by. (I like to see my purse, and my natural reaction is to toss in the spare chair when I enter the door.

Well, a few months after I started at this job one of the women I worked with commented that I had a lot of purses stating that she always saw a different purse on my chair. I didn't think anything of it at the time. But now the workplace is so catty and I wonder if having my purses especially designer purses in plain sight added to the cattieness towards me. (the woman who made the comment has coach purses herself and I have seen her with different styles.) Another co-worker, has LV and Prada, but she never talks about her purses and keeps them in a drawer. She is pretty well-to-do because of her husband's work and family background.

For some reason though, as a single woman, I got a lot of flack from (some of) the staff on my purse spending habits. I don't spend my money on anything else and in fact I drive a 16 year old car, so if that is my choice, why are they so upset?

Anyway, I am starting a new job and reconsidering, what purse to carry to work and (given my new job I know I will be more careful about keeping my purse out of sight).

Do any of your purse lovers, worry about what purse to carry to work because of how others will respond or have you gotten flack from others about your purse?

I can't answer your question directly b/c I don't carry my purse into work, instead I leave it in my car and just take in my wallet. But I wanted to comment that perhaps it's not the purse by itself that brings about the cattiness, but maybe you're showing it off a bit by setting it on your chair? You mentioned the other lady keeps hers in her drawer and doesn't have the same attitude directed at her. I think if you try keeping it under wraps at the new job that may help. I would recommend against anything with blatant logos (LV, etc).
What have they said to make you think their attitudes are a result of your single status? I think that's odd, is a man supposed to buy them for you? lol.

I know how you feel...i would never put my bags on floor...it either on my desk or a spare chair next to me..i dont care what people think of me at work and that i change my handbags weekly...my pet hate is when they asked"is it real?"...and guess what is my reply....it's Not but if you want it..just give me $2000...and that would shut them up

I work at a restaurant part time and whenever I come into work wearing something other than my uniform I get "why are you so dressed up?" "where is your bag from?" "how much did that cost?" and it drives me INSANE. I normally just ignore comments/questions, plus I doubt any of them know what Balenciaga is!

Considering I work at / with my DH at his office - I just have to worry about making sure "it" is a bag that he has seen before .....you know "oh don't you remember this bag...blah, blah, blah":P

You really shouldn't care. You're an adult and you can spend your money any way you choose.

Exactly, carry your handbags and hold your head very high!

Also, keep your bag in a secure place especially if others are jealous.

I only carry my credit card wallet to work, sometimes on business travel will carry a handbag.

Last edited:
These jealous people! Why can't let other people be? I mean you spend your own money on your bags! The people at my work are cool. They are never catty about my bags but the people on the street do. I had two experiences that really annoyed me. I was walking down the street and two women came towards me, passed me by and said to each other. That Prada bag, I think it's fake. I was like what the he*l? I bet they don't own any because obviously they couldn't tell the real from the fake ones. The other time, I was on a tram and some women whispering to each other and said, that bag looks so kitschy. Of course my bag looks kitschy for someone who carries a backpack!!! Aaaaagghhh!!!! The things women do to make them feel better about themselves.... When such things happen, I just ignore them. I mean what else can you do, right?

As someone else said, I don't really think it has anything to do with single status, but more to do with that it probably appears you're putting your bags on "display" by putting it in such an obvious spot, kwim? I'm not saying you're doing it on purpose, but I'm sure that's what it probably looks like to them.

I personally don't get any flack about my bags because of jealousy, I get flack for spending so much, even if I paid what I thought was an incredible price, to them it's still too much, they all look at me like I'm a moron :sad:

These jealous people! Why can't let other people be? I mean you spend your own money on your bags! The people at my work are cool. They are never catty about my bags but the people on the street do. I had two experiences that really annoyed me. I was walking down the street and two women came towards me, passed me by and said to each other. That Prada bag, I think it's fake. I was like what the he*l? I bet they don't own any because obviously they couldn't tell the real from the fake ones. The other time, I was on a tram and some women whispering to each other and said, that bag looks so kitschy. Of course my bag looks kitschy for someone who carries a backpack!!! Aaaaagghhh!!!! The things women do to make them feel better about themselves.... When such things happen, I just ignore them. I mean what else can you do, right?

Although that is entirely true, but the fact of the matter is that, in this instance, OP is in a professional environment. People are going to be gossipy, and we can't change them. The only thing that you can do to avoid this kind of gossip in the workplace, is to change yourself.

I would just ignore them, me personally, I'm a very opinionated person and I don't change for anyone I don't care who it is. If you like to carry certain bags, you carry your bags and rock them, forget about everyone else you shouldn't have to change who you are just to make others feel better/not jealous etc. Not everything in life is equal as everyone should know, and that doesn't mean we should make everything equal by not buying/having/carrying nice things. I know work environments can get catty and tense at times but it's not junior high, we're grown ups, the bullying shouldn't be taken the same way. And jealous women aren't really judging you they just want your bag lol I don't think they think too much beyond that, if they had your bags they wouldn't care at all that's all that is. Anyway that's just my view on the workplace vs nice bags situation and it's come up on here before and a lot of people do feel weird bringing their bags to work etc bc they feel it portrays them funny but like well..I'm sorry I just think that if you're not hurting yourself or anyone else you should never have to change who you are to please anyone else. Same for interviews and people being wary of carrying their designer bags to interviews, well look if someone honestly would bypass you purely bc you had a nice bag and they were jealous/had some other snarky/shallow opinion of you based on that, they're not someone you want to be dealing with every day anyway. I know not everyone shares my thoughts on that but that's me and I'll never change for or because of anyone. Rock your bags and ignore what they say or think!

This is just a continual problem, yesterday I got flack about my Coach bag from a guy who spends thousands on his bicycling hobby. I told him this is not expensive compared to Chanel or Fendi. He went on and on about how he did not understand why women spent so much on purses. I am just glad I am not his wife, LOL!
I told him because I like it and it makes me happy...I also told him I didn't spend a lot on other things which is true. He asked how much it cost and I gave him a ball park and then said how much does your bike cost? No answer.
Sooner or later we all just need to ignore it.

I would just ignore them and hold your head high. Jealousy is an ugly disease and is so unattractive. But they WILL feel like they have won if they suceed in alienating you enough that you stop carrying these bags to work and blend in like a wallflower. You shouldn't have to bow down because of others insecurities. Women should never try to make themselves appear less beautiful/wealthy/happy in order to appease other women. I was once told that my bags MUST be fake because i wear high street clothes, this made me laugh soooo much. They really are single minded these women, i mean look at all the celebrities that shop at high street stores- are THEIR bags fake too?! haha
I just carried on with my life, doing what i am doing and raise my head a little higher knowing that they spend sooo much of their days analyzing me and what i wear/do/say etc...