jealousy about your bags?

I got that last summer during my summer job. Someone was very catty after someone pointed out I bought nice things. Now, I'm a college student living at home, they're not any of the premium designer things or anything, and Coach is a common thing on my campus. Ever since my friend commented that I had cute things, my catty coworker would make remarks or glare at me at every comment I got.

I just learned to ignore it, I saved a bunch of my money to buy the things I had and a jealous person wasn't going to make me regret my purchases.

It isn't worth it...today he told me his real problem. He said his wife has Coach bags and he doesn't understand why she spends so much money on them. I think I will let him and his wife work that one out.
He would flip if he saw some of the other stuff in my closet.

Good for you. And yes, the "real" problem is between them.

BTW It's none of his business what you have in your closet. !!
:nuts:

....For some reason though, as a single woman, I got a lot of flack from (some of) the staff on my purse spending habits. I don't spend my money on anything else and in fact I drive a 16 year old car, so if that is my choice, why are they so upset?

Anyway, I am starting a new job and reconsidering, what purse to carry to work and (given my new job I know I will be more careful about keeping my purse out of sight).

Do any of your purse lovers, worry about what purse to carry to work because of how others will respond or have you gotten flack from others about your purse?

I completely empathise!

When I went to my final interview for my first job as a lawyer earlier this year, I HID my bag under the table.

It was a brand new Gucci that I got a week ago for becoming a lawyer, and I almost died doing it (I really had to convince myself and took comfort in the fact that the firm was really clean and that room didn't look like it was used much). Shame really as it coincidentally matched the shade of mahogany table and decor perfectly hehe but IDK exactly WHY I did it at this stage. I know I thought it might somehow hinder my chances of getting in and this was the ONLY advertised job I'd seen all month for juniors, so I didn't want to risk it.

I think I didn't want to come across as too princess-y and get people's claws out unnecessarily (90% = female lawyers there & not a designer bag in sight) AND I was just starting out. I do believe SOME people (especially females at work) get jealous and I don't believe it's just to do with your relationship status... I think the age of the bag owner comes into it too, in that the younger you are, the less deserving they see you as... or something... they'll find many reasons really for that sentiment to come out. I did get the job and I'm glad I hid it initially as a couple of them they are catty catty catty! In hindsight, I switched between 2 designer bags sitting on my enormous desk + my shoe collection coming out on casual-Fridays & compliments from others might have invited some of it methinks.

My best friend as well (who is also a young lawyer) also gets the same treatment (comments etc) due to her very nice car. I think some miserable people are just jealous if you're younger than them or have nicer things!

I know it's easy to say ignore it... easier said than done as I know I couldn't and had to tone things down some. If it is bothering you to the point where you can't ignore it, I think you should still use your designer purses but keep them somewhere that's not so in-their-faces while you are at work...maybe somewhere where you can see your bag but them, not so much... should help avoid green eyed monsters making appearances!

Last edited:
This is just a continual problem, yesterday I got flack about my Coach bag from a guy who spends thousands on his bicycling hobby. I told him this is not expensive compared to Chanel or Fendi. He went on and on about how he did not understand why women spent so much on purses. I am just glad I am not his wife, LOL!
I told him because I like it and it makes me happy...I also told him I didn't spend a lot on other things which is true. He asked how much it cost and I gave him a ball park and then said how much does your bike cost? No answer.
Sooner or later we all just need to ignore it.

So true...I know a lot of men who have no problem dropping five or six hundred at Home Depot....so I add a little to that amount and get a bag, so what:graucho:

I can't answer your question directly b/c I don't carry my purse into work, instead I leave it in my car and just take in my wallet. But I wanted to comment that perhaps it's not the purse by itself that brings about the cattiness, but maybe you're showing it off a bit by setting it on your chair? You mentioned the other lady keeps hers in her drawer and doesn't have the same attitude directed at her. I think if you try keeping it under wraps at the new job that may help. I would recommend against anything with blatant logos (LV, etc).
What have they said to make you think their attitudes are a result of your single status? I think that's odd, is a man supposed to buy them for you? lol.

Hi Laurie-I certainly hope that your car has a good burglar alarm! I'd never want to leave my purse behind (I just feel naked without it)-even if you have your wallet, there's no telling when your lipstick might need a touch-up!

As for "office" etiquette, I think the best thing is to put your purse in one of your drawers-out of sight, out of (somebody else's) mind!;)

There are so many threads and posts about the same thing: people thinking others are jealous of them because of their purses. It just never ceases to amaze me how quickly some come to the conclusion that others' comments or actions are based on jealousy, and I can't help but wonder if those thinking others are jealous of them for their purses are prone to jealousy themselves.

The way I see it, if it's all about the purse and not showing off, then why care about what others say about your purses? And you (general you) can't help caring and it drives you insane or angers you when others make comments about how much you spend on purses, then I see no other option but to stop buying designer bags and restore the peace.

There are so many threads and posts about the same thing: people thinking others are jealous of them because of their purses. It just never ceases to amaze me how quickly some come to the conclusion that others' comments or actions are based on jealousy, and I can't help but wonder if those thinking others are jealous of them for their purses are prone to jealousy themselves.

The way I see it, if it's all about the purse and not showing off, then why care about what others say about your purses? And you (general you) can't help caring and it drives you insane or angers you when others make comments about how much you spend on purses, then I see no other option but to stop buying designer bags and restore the peace.

:true:

If not jealousy, what other emotion can we attribute to such behaviour / comments which are uninvited in any way, shape or form? SOME claws simply seem to come out when you have nicer things than SOME others. Thinking this way (as there's no other logical explanation) does not make me a jealous person as when others have nice things, I admire them if anything, and definitely don't utter snide comments.

It's easy to stop caring if those people don't matter and don't impact your working life etc as at the end of the day, so long as you're happy with your bag. The same can't be said for when people go out of their way to be like this in what's supposed to be a professional working environment when you're just trying to go about your daily work. I personally don't think there's anything wrong in trying to mitigate some of this unwelcome attention, as opposed to stopping your purchases completely, especially if you're starting at a new work place. OP: Good luck with your new role :biggrin:

Last edited:
^ It's possible that some people just don't get others who like nice things.
They might not actually be feeling jealous per say, but rather they are surprised that anyone would spend so much on fashion and they come off as snarky nor catty.

I've met people like this and they just simply think the money could be "better spent" because they could care less about the item/dont understand what is special about it.

In the situation OP mentioned, I think it can all be attributed to jealousy however.

^ It's possible that some people just don't get others who like nice things.
They might not actually be feeling jealous per say, but rather they are surprised that anyone would spend so much on fashion and they come off as snarky nor catty.

I've met people like this and they just simply think the money could be "better spent" because they could care less about the item/dont understand what is special about it.

In the situation OP mentioned, I think it can all be attributed to jealousy however.

Agreed. Some people can just be rude. I can say "Wow I'd never spend three grand on a China set" without being jealous. Although...I suppose I can't imagine ever saying that to someone's face if the opportunity arises.