jealousy about your bags?

If OP wants come in with her Deisigner to Premium Designer purse and drop it in the chair in HER OFFICE for the day it is no ones business... To say that is showing off or being unprofessional is incorrect... If that kind of thinking is to work then just wearing her bags is unprofessional...

The other ladies in the office have Premium Designer bags but they deicided that it would be fun to pick the OP out... that is just office jealousy and she has not caused it..

I wear all my bags if some small minded person does not like that I have them than that is on them.. I would not change where I place them or what I wear just for small people like them..

This never fails to astound me. (Hi Lucretias!!!!)

I cannot understand why people must be so mean spirited about our bag addictions!!! Do I roll me eyes if a co-worker rolls up in a Mercedes? NO!
Do I gossip behind someone's back if I notice they are in Louboutins? NO!
In fact, I'm usually happy for people when they have nice stuff. Unless you have a sign on your door that say "LOOK AT MY FABULOUS BAGS!" There's absolutely no reason anyone should ever comment.

This is just a continual problem, yesterday I got flack about my Coach bag from a guy who spends thousands on his bicycling hobby. I told him this is not expensive compared to Chanel or Fendi. He went on and on about how he did not understand why women spent so much on purses. I am just glad I am not his wife, LOL!
I told him because I like it and it makes me happy...I also told him I didn't spend a lot on other things which is true. He asked how much it cost and I gave him a ball park and then said how much does your bike cost? No answer.
Sooner or later we all just need to ignore it.

Why didnt you pester him about the bike? why did he get off so easy?

I get the jealousy a lot about my handbags, clothes, shoes, etc. I'm a flashy dresser and a self professed label junkie.:yahoo: Sometimes people make snide or catty remarks but I tend to put them in their place quickly. When i've worked or have been in social situations where folks people are particually catty I usually give them a fashion show.:yes: I change up a different purse daily along with a difffernt designer shoe and high end outfit! let them eat their hearts out!:roflmfao:

I'm not hurt anyone! No one has the right to judge me! If they don't like it they know what they can do.:censor:
Some of the have een taken to calling me names like Hollywood, Glamour girl etc. They aren't meant as compliments but I take them as they are & rub their faces in it.:graucho:

I am not what i wear or what i own. I know that. i am a deep person who just happens to love fashion. If folks are going to judge me negativaly based on that then they are not worth my time. Life is too short.:tup:

I would ignore it, it's none of their business. I find it a bit tasteless to talk about that kind of thing unless it's in an appreciative way. Also, I hate talking about non-work things at work. :\

Why didnt you pester him about the bike? why did he get off so easy?
It isn't worth it...today he told me his real problem. He said his wife has Coach bags and he doesn't understand why she spends so much money on them. I think I will let him and his wife work that one out.
He would flip if he saw some of the other stuff in my closet.

Although that is entirely true, but the fact of the matter is that, in this instance, OP is in a professional environment. People are going to be gossipy, and we can't change them. The only thing that you can do to avoid this kind of gossip in the workplace, is to change yourself.
This is why I am questioning my purse behavior. My office is horrible about gossip and people tend to gang up on each other. So anything I can do to prevent myself from being a target is important. I don't want to recreate the same dynamic in my new workplace as in my old because as you said people are gossipy.

I would just ignore them and hold your head high. Jealousy is an ugly disease and is so unattractive. But they WILL feel like they have won if they suceed in alienating you enough that you stop carrying these bags to work and blend in like a wallflower. You shouldn't have to bow down because of others insecurities. Women should never try to make themselves appear less beautiful/wealthy/happy in order to appease other women. .
Yes, I agree and love your sentiment. My workplace has been so critical, that I have found myself being much more silent to avoid being the subject of an attack, BUT as you say at a cost of my own happiness. It's a fine balance between being true to yourself and not being a target of criticism. I love the comment about not appeasing others.

If OP wants come in with her Deisigner to Premium Designer purse and drop it in the chair in HER OFFICE for the day it is no ones business... To say that is showing off or being unprofessional is incorrect... If that kind of thinking is to work then just wearing her bags is unprofessional...

The other ladies in the office have Premium Designer bags but they deicided that it would be fun to pick the OP out... that is just office jealousy and she has not caused it..

I wear all my bags if some small minded person does not like that I have them than that is on them.. I would not change where I place them or what I wear just for small people like them..

Your comment really resonated with me as I put my purse in a chair in my own office, because I love my purses. I hate the thought of putting them in a drawer. For some reason, I just feel like they become claustrophobic. :-s I think your comment that just carrying them could be considered showing off really resonated with me as one of the other office people carry an LV damier bag everyday to work and to me that kind of bag screams LV, whereas most of my bags are less OTT in looks. And not all of my bags are designer. I just love bags!

Your comment about office jealousy really resonates with me as I had a conflict with some co-workers and my boss, commented he felt the conflict stemmed from some jealousy regarding my pay (I work for a state agency so salary is public record). So perhaps my purses is just feels like flaunting to them. This just kills me as I have a huge student loan to pay and the only thing I really spluge on is my purses.

Do as I did when I worked in a small office after graduating university: IGNORE THEM, one and all!

:heart:

That is my dilemma. I do try to ignore them, but I think my purse habits were a starting point for further criticism of me. (my colleagues went from criticizing my purses to criticzing my work --mind you, my boss had no complaints about my work and I got a healthy percentage raise this past year because of my work.) I would like to be able to ignore all the criticism, and am working on that. After all that is their issue, not mine. BUT at the same time, I want to be sure I am not doing anything that makes me more of a target of criticism!

I agree with the tpf-ers above. Simpl ignore them. You bought the bags because you liked them and they made you happy. You can not make everybody happy, so in that case you should make your self happy first! Jealous people will always find something they don't like about you. Maybe now your bags and once you bow down, next is your shoes! And if that's not enough then maybe your competence at work! I hate jealousy on jealous people, it's venom to their own happiness and self confidence.

:goodpost: Heck yeah!!!!!!

I get the jealousy a lot about my handbags, clothes, shoes, etc. I'm a flashy dresser and a self professed label junkie.:yahoo: Sometimes people make snide or catty remarks but I tend to put them in their place quickly. When i've worked or have been in social situations where folks people are particually catty I usually give them a fashion show.:yes: I change up a different purse daily along with a difffernt designer shoe and high end outfit! let them eat their hearts out!:roflmfao:

I'm not hurt anyone! No one has the right to judge me! If they don't like it they know what they can do.:censor:
Some of the have een taken to calling me names like Hollywood, Glamour girl etc. They aren't meant as compliments but I take them as they are & rub their faces in it.:graucho:

I am not what i wear or what i own. I know that. i am a deep person who just happens to love fashion. If folks are going to judge me negativaly based on that then they are not worth my time. Life is too short.:tup:

Yes. I work in job that is basically all commission and there are girls who wear all their expensive stuff to work to show off that they are top earner or whatever.

Personally, I like nice, quality things and handbags. I don't usually wear them to work because I don't want stuff getting stolen and I don't want to make an issue out of something that is no ones business. Mind you my job is "un- conventional" and some of my co workers can be quite *****y so I find ways to minimize this and keep to myself..which for me includes dressing inconspicuously. I just remind myself I am there to work, not for a fashion show. In a workplace where cash/clothes/bags have been known to get stolen from time to time I've come to the conclusion it just isn't smart to wear designer stuff to work.

However, if you really aren't happy dressing down for work, wear your designer bags! you bought them for a reason ( to use them) I would suggest keeping them in a drawer so as not to attract unwanted attention though. Luckily you said that theft isn't a problem at your workplace.

Last edited:
Wear what you want, carry the bag you want to carry, and do it without shame or worry. The problem is theirs, not yours. If it wasn't your bag they were being catty about, most likely they'd find something else. If you carried a beaten up pleather thing, they'd ***** about that too. People with insecurities will always find something. As long as you're pleasant and professional with them (and I'm sure you are!) you've nothing to worry about/apologise for.

It isn't worth it...today he told me his real problem. He said his wife has Coach bags and he doesn't understand why she spends so much money on them. I think I will let him and his wife work that one out.
He would flip if he saw some of the other stuff in my closet.

I'm a guy and this dude sounds like a selfish d*uche. How dare he spend so much on his bike but criticises his wife's spendings on bags? (it's not even particularly expensive brand). Feel sorry for his wife to marry this sort of guy.

I'm a guy and this dude sounds like a selfish d*uche. How dare he spend so much on his bike but criticises his wife's spendings on bags? (it's not even particularly expensive brand). Feel sorry for his wife to marry this sort of guy.

I reckon that you're gonna be verrry popular around here! :biggrin:

Haha, I'll try to stay away from this forum because this forum is bad for your wallet :biggrin:
I don't support careless shopping at all, and it's perfectly fine being thrifty but there's a difference between being sensible/thrifty and being a cheap or selfish person.