Travel Japan!

It might be hot then, check the weather.
Also, I wouldn´t pack too many destinations to see in that time, you want to enjoy each place, especially if your son has anxiety.
I stayed in a Ryokan in Kyoto. I think I found it on booking.com
Kyoto is very peaceful, some temples are crowded but some are more quiet...I love the japanese gardens.
You can get around with speaking (basic) english. People are so respectful and polite and rules oriented that even crowds didn´t feel stressful to me.
I only did Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka. But thats because it was my first time solo traveling, I wanted to soak in the lifestyle of Tokyo and went to Sanrio Puroland (I´m a Hello Kitty lover!)...also pet cafés, the Robot restaurant which puts on a crazy show of japanese 80s kitsch, went to Studio Ghibli museum (if you like animé) I could be fully geeking out on toys and kawaii things and no one blinks an eye there lol.
Book your rail pass before going.
I loved it so much that I want to go back...But South Korea caught my eye haha
I'm looking forward to Harijuku. I like girls things too.
The Robot restaurant is on my list for Tokyo. It sounds fun!
I'm torn on owl cafes. I know my son would enjoy it, but is it ethical. Cat cafes seem ethical because they are domesticated animals. I'm seriously allergic to cats though.

I've already looked into the rail pass. That's my plan for getting around.

I grew up in Japan and I have say please be careful with wild monkeys! I used to holiday as a child in Kamakura. A medium sized monkey hit and broke the side mirror of the car when he realized I had no more treats for him. A guide with electric base ball bat type weapon came to help and we weren’t injured. Those monkeys are super strong! If I were outside of my car, it could have ripped my face off.

If you stay in Japanese ryokan, I recommend getting ones with private hot spring, so your family can enjoy it in peace. They are generally pricy but they usually come with complementary dinner and breakfast (the fancy type) for 2.

You will have so much fun! I suggest getting wifi package when you are there. Japan is pretty friendly to tourists.
Point taken about the monkeys. Yikes!

I think we are going to stay at a ryokan in Gero. The one im looking at has private baths. Between me worrying about my tattoos and knowing my son would freak out about nudity, it seems like private is the way to go.

What is a wifi package?

Im going to Hiroshima. It makes just as much sense to me to see Kyoto on my way back up to Tokyo as it does heading down to Hiroshima. It's a route I'm going anyway.
Ah I see, I was only suggesting Osaka and Kyoto side by side as they are very close to each other, and not that you not go to Hiroshima (visited last year and found the Peace Memorial museum an eye opener). All the best with your trip and hope you get to visit as scheduled. Also, if you're planning to travel mostly by train, I would recommend checking to see if the JR pass would be a good deal for you.

Point taken about the monkeys. Yikes!

I think we are going to stay at a ryokan in Gero. The one im looking at has private baths. Between me worrying about my tattoos and knowing my son would freak out about nudity, it seems like private is the way to go.

What is a wifi package?

Something like a pocket wifi so you will always have fast internet connection. You can download a translation app just in case. It is pretty good. I’d suggest JR train package for foreigners. You can get on/get off anywhere so you have the freedom to see many things. I believe you have to pre-purchase it.

Okay, I don't see a Travel forum here so I made up this thread and hope it's allowed. Anyway, my family and I will be in Japan for a week in December before Christmas and I just want to know if there are members on here that have traveled to Japan recently and can give me suggestions of places where I can find good consignment stores to browse and shop from? TIA :smile:

You might indicate which city in Japan you're visiting. :smile:

But if Osaka, I would say do your diligence, they are overpriced for what they are. But mostly all cities big and small have secondhand stores all around. Only town I didn't see any was when I was only the second "foreigner" of the day. :lol:
Most of the times if there is a drinking district, they would likely be one near by.

So jealous, I won't return until next year(if). Hope you have fun!!! December is such a great time for food in Japan!

You might indicate which city in Japan you're visiting. :smile:

But if Osaka, I would say do your diligence, they are overpriced for what they are. But mostly all cities big and small have secondhand stores all around. Only town I didn't see any was when I was only the second "foreigner" of the day. :lol:
Most of the times if there is a drinking district, they would likely be one near by.

So jealous, I won't return until next year(if). Hope you have fun!!! December is such a great time for food in Japan!
Oh do share--why is December a great time for food in Japan? Love food, too :lol:. We will be in Tokyo. I always thought the consignment shops would be a good place to visit because there are so many Japanese sellers on Ebay :blush:

Oh do share--why is December a great time for food in Japan? Love food, too :lol:. We will be in Tokyo. I always thought the consignment shops would be a good place to visit because there are so many Japanese sellers on Ebay :blush:
Winter time fish fattens up. So lot of fresh fish will have extra flavouring. If you go other than Tokyo, each city should have their regional specialties. Asians in general love seasonal culinary. I especially recommend oyster and crabs. Do a bit of research(based on your preference) on food before you go, it will be worth it.

Ugh, winter in Kyoto would be also very beautiful, but I've only done fall seasons as I hate the cold.

As far as consigments.. I haven't been able to return since last 3 years.. But I was there 2019. Consignment places are interesting to find some of rare items(depending where you go). But I definitely found Osaka easier to access as they were all in same area and had lots of other types of shops and restaurants near by. I don't know how the prices will be like, knowing we're either in recession or heading for one.

Reactions: Winiebean
Hi all, can anyone recommend good hotel in the Ginza area? also, any recommendations for the top sashimi vendors in Tsukiji fish market?

Anyone been to the lakes near Fuji? Any recommendations for Ryokans w/ private bath?

Lastly, anyone who’s been to Kyoto, how many days would you stay there? Thinking ~4 days.

TIA

Hi all, can anyone recommend good hotel in the Ginza area? also, any recommendations for the top sashimi vendors in Tsukiji fish market?

Anyone been to the lakes near Fuji? Any recommendations for Ryokans w/ private bath?

Lastly, anyone who’s been to Kyoto, how many days would you stay there? Thinking ~4 days.

TIA
Just a fyi, Tsukiji market is no longer same. I believe vendors and the new tsukiji is very far removed now. Restaurant and the outer vendors remain but the historic inner market has been dismantled and moved.

Kyoto, I could stay on for a very long. But me and my hubby tend to travel even outer skirts of Kyoto. It also depends on your interest and if you know where to go etc. Kyoto is also close to Nara, Osaka, Uji etc so it's nice base while traveling around.

TIA
鮨國 Sushikuni near Tsukiji fish market.

日本橋海鮮丼 つじ半 日本橋本店 (https://www.tsujihan-jp.com/) near Tokyo Eki. The sashimi rice bowls are very delicious! But the restaurant is very small only 10 pax. I queued for about 1 hour when I was there in early Dec. Planning to revisit this restaurant for the coming April sakura trip.

• Love
鮨國 Sushikuni near Tsukiji fish market.

日本橋海鮮丼 つじ半 日本橋本店 (https://www.tsujihan-jp.com/) near Tokyo Eki. The sashimi rice bowls are very delicious! But the restaurant is very small only 10 pax. I queued for about 1 hour when I was there in early Dec. Planning to revisit this restaurant for the coming April sakura trip.
Thank you :smile: They look great. That’s not too bad of a wait time at all! Some of the places I have been researching have super long wait times and you need to get up really early. Hoping to also go this Spring for Sakura. We’ve been to Tokyo once back in 2019 but didn’t have much time and have been trying to get back ever since:smile:

Anyone have thoughts on staying in Gion in Kyoto? It appeals and I have a hotel in mind, just not sure if the location is much less convenient for subways/trains compared to central Kyoto. I'm not concerned about getting to/from Kyoto Station, just asking about getting to other neighborhoods/attractions.