Travel Japan!

Anyone have thoughts on staying in Gion in Kyoto? It appeals and I have a hotel in mind, just not sure if the location is much less convenient for subways/trains compared to central Kyoto. I'm not concerned about getting to/from Kyoto Station, just asking about getting to other neighborhoods/attractions.
I always stay near Gion and never had any issues getting around but it does depend on what you want to do. It’s actually not too bad of a walk to some popular places like Kiyomizu Dera and Nishiki Marker depending on where in Gion you are.

Reactions: jellyv
I always stay near Gion and never had any issues getting around but it does depend on what you want to do. It’s actually not too bad of a walk to some popular places like Kiyomizu Dera and Nishiki Marker depending on where in Gion you are.
Thanks. If I want to tour the Imperial Palace and other places in central Kyoto, easy enough to get there by train or subway? The hotel I'm considering is in the Higashiyama district.

Thanks. If I want to tour the Imperial Palace and other places in central Kyoto, easy enough to get there by train or subway? The hotel I'm considering is in the Higashiyama district.
Depending on where you are and where you want to go, you may end up using the bus a lot to get around in Kyoto. So it would probably be a combination of bus, train, or subway. We honestly end up using the taxi to save time depending on how much time we have whenever we go.

Reactions: jellyv