Travel Japan!

I found free wi-fi was available in many areas, even outside on the street able to pick up from the department stores. Some of the trains had free wi-fi as well, but I don't speak Japanese, so couldn't figure that out.

I was there in last week of March and early April, weather was a bit cooler than expected, about 10-12 degrees Celsius, so I had on a coat most of the time, but started to warm up the last few days up to 18-20 degrees Celsius, which was really nice.

I was told the cherry blossoms were late to bloom this year because of colder weather, but was nice to finally see them early April in Tokyo. Enjoy your trip!

Nope! Lol - it was very pricey. But we are huge Lost in Translation fans and figured this might be our only trip to Tokyo so we might as well save and stay at the place we wanted. I can say that it was worth it ... Best service I have ever had anywhere. Food was great, gym and spa were fantastic ... And the location, for us, was convenient - just a 10-15 minute walk to the train station.

Wow! I am a huge fan of Lost in Translation too! I have seen it three times and never get tired of it!
So, If one day I go to Japan, I will stay at the Park Hyatt, whatever the cost....[emoji3][emoji3]

Wow! I am a huge fan of Lost in Translation too! I have seen it three times and never get tired of it!
So, If one day I go to Japan, I will stay at the Park Hyatt, whatever the cost....[emoji3][emoji3]
Do it!! Amazing service from every staff member, beautiful property ... We worked out in the gym, went to the spa for amazing massages, ate amazing food, loved the evening turndown service. And the New York Bar was a perfect, albeit pricey, way to end the evening at the top of the world. *sigh*

Bump...Any new suggestions? Heading to the Tokyo area later this year. Also curious about resale shops that may buy bags outright to compare what I might get selling there vs. in the US...and of course to browse what some of them have for sale also.

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
Bump...Any new suggestions? Heading to the Tokyo area later this year. Also curious about resale shops that may buy bags outright to compare what I might get selling there vs. in the US...and of course to browse what some of them have for sale also.

- Sunscreen. The Japanese are SERIOUS about their sun protection and hence their products are probably the most advanced and innovative in the market. And the prices are rather reasonable and definitely cheaper than what you'd get them for in the US, even Amazon.
- Do you live near a Uniqlo? Actually, even if you do, I suggest you still go, since there are some pieces/styles that never make it to the US. Plus it's likely cheaper than if you bought stuff in the US.
- Seconding the suggestion to go to Matsumoto Kiyoshi. It's probably best to do research beforehand as it can get overwhelming, you might end up spending hours in there. People have already suggested Dolly Wink mascaras, Japanese eye makeup (including false lashes) in general is of better quality than their western counterparts. Brands that are available in stateside would also generally be cheaper, including Shiseido and SK-II. In the case of the latter, they sometimes sell past-season special edition packages (in the limited edition seasonal bottles) at a discount, so it's worth a look. Even shampoo in Japan is better, from what I've heard, since the Japanese consume is very particular and expects higher quality than other consumes. I've had colleagues snap up ginormous bottles of Japan-made shampoo to take home.
- Tokyu Hands is also a must-stop, as someone already suggested. Fair warning, you WILL spend too much time there.
- If you're into coffee, then you can also look into coffee-making tools. Kalita is a famous Japanese brand for coffee enthusiasts and from my experience is cheaper in Japan.
- As with Uniqlo, Muji is still worth looking into, even if you have them where you live. The selection of items is huge, relative to their international stores, especially in the food/snacks department.
- Random foodstuffs you can take home as gifts: flavored Kit Kat (green tea, sakura, sake, etc.), Royce Chocolates, Tokyo Milk Cheese, Pocky.

If you want to buy preowned bags, Japan is the place to go. Guaranteed authentic since Japan is very strict about selling fake merchandise. You MUST definitely visit as many consignment stores as you can. Shinjuku and Ropongi is where I found a better selection with better prices. I scored a Prada saffiano lux for $550 USD and a LV Noe epi for $350, both in great condition. My friend bought a black Chanel flap (in good condition, a few scratches) for $1500 and a LV epi (a discontinued model, don't know the name) for $300. It took a lot of walking (super fun, by the way) but what we paid is unbeatable in the US.

I'm not sure how good they are if you want to sell yours but as far as their offerings, they beat the US and Europe's hands down, IMO.

Hi! Although big designers like Gucci, LV, Hermes are more pricey than the rest of the world, some designers do offer a special line for Japan market only. You would have heard of the discontinued Burberry Blue Label. I bought a cute tee-shirt from Lanvin en Bleu - http://www.lanvin-en-bleu.com/

Like the other members, I highly recommend checking out the pharmacies for good quality skincare, makeup, makeup accessories, haircare ... you name it! :smile:

I have also bought lovely traditional looking tea set, bowls and plates. You just need to wrap them carefully with your clothes. So far, all of my hauls have survived the long distance flight (I live in Australia).

Reactions: bellebellebelle19
Pens and stationeries-Japan produces very lovely/cute/sweet looking writing materials. I think young and old are smitten with their cuteness...I'm old but yeah I bought so many lol

Japanese dolls

Japanese prints

Skin care

KitKat Matcha YUM

Lucky Charms sold in temples- beautiful colors, prints and embroideries.

Imari porcelaines, or any other porcelaines but very pricey

If you're travelling along the countryside or to small places, better buy souveniers or the stuff you like there because they're difficult or you can't find them in big cities. Price and quality is much better to buy on those places IMHO. Of course qualities of their stuff is better when you buy it in expensive souvenier shops in the city but I rather pick them right on small shops somewhere down the road.

If you want to buy preowned bags, Japan is the place to go. Guaranteed authentic since Japan is very strict about selling fake merchandise. You MUST definitely visit as many consignment stores as you can. Shinjuku and Ropongi is where I found a better selection with better prices. I scored a Prada saffiano lux for $550 USD and a LV Noe epi for $350, both in great condition. My friend bought a black Chanel flap (in good condition, a few scratches) for $1500 and a LV epi (a discontinued model, don't know the name) for $300. It took a lot of walking (super fun, by the way) but what we paid is unbeatable in the US.

I'm not sure how good they are if you want to sell yours but as far as their offerings, they beat the US and Europe's hands down, IMO.

As a person currently living in Japan, I definitely second this opinion!
Also, a lot of brands do Japan Exclusive items and colors so it may be worth a try to go to the store and ask if they have anything that they sell only in Japan.
That is how I scored my Fendi Mini Peekaboo.

We are heading to Japan for two weeks at the end of September. We have already been to Tokyo but will definitely go there again along with Kyoto; any other recommendation for one or two more cities to explore? We love to travel for food, nature, culture ...

A day trip to Nara, located less than an hour from Kyoto and Osaka - visit Todaiji Temple, Japan’s oldest and largest temple. Nara Park (cute deer) and todaiji Museum. 7:30 to 17:30 April- September.
Osaka Castle. Stroll around Dontonbori and Minami (Namba) neighborhoods for food, shopping and night cafe.
A day trip to Kobe for Kobe beef and sightseeing in Harborland and Meriden Park.
Kyoto - will need a few days to see most things. Locate all points of interest on map and group them for multiple day trips.
central Kyoto - Nijo Castle, Kyoto Imperial Palace, nisishiki Market, Pontocho
Southern Kyoto - Fushimi Inari Shrine
eastern Kyoto - Kiyomizudera Temple, Sanjusangendo
Northwest - Ginkakuji (Silver) Temple
Northern - Kinkakuji (Gold) Temple
Northeast - shugakuin Villa
Western - Arashiyuma, Katsura Rikyu
You can stay in one hotel in Kyoto and do day trips to Nara and Osaka. We stayed in Osaka for 3 nights and Kyoto for 6 nights. For transportation within a city, we use mainly subway/metro or bus and twice taxi for short distance. From Kansai airport to Osaka hotel, take JR Kansai Airport Rapid to JR Osaka Station and then taxi. From Osaka to Nara, take Kintetsu Nara Line express train (40 min). To travel from Osaka to Kyoto, take JR Shinkaisoka (special rapid train, 29 minutes). From Kyoto to Kansai Airport, take JR Airport Express Haruka (75 min).
Admission to all Kyoto palaces (Imperial Palace, Shugakuin Imperial Villa, and Katsura Villa) is free, but you must obtain entrance tickets in advance. On your first day of arrival in Kyoto, take subway/metro train to Imperial Household Agency ( Kyoto Station K11) at northwest corner of Kyoto Imperial Park (M-F 8:45-noon, or 1-5PM).
Foreigners can apply for big (50%?) discount on JR rail pass. Must show passport and air tickets, and complete application form. Look up online for where in Japan city and how to obtain the discount. We got ours in Osaka train station. The discount is worth much savings for express train rides between cities.

Last edited:
In addition to Kyoto, one area of Japan I love to visit is Hokkaido (northern part). You need to fly to Sapporo (southernmost end of Hokkaido) to start touring the place. Since the area is rural, you need to either drive or join a tour. I went there via tour group in Spring for Zakura Blossom, and I plan to revisit the area in winter. Besides sceneries, main attractions are very, very fresh seafood, authentic udon noodle soup, and hot spring baths.

Reactions: Tikocookie
If you fly into Narita which is the secondary airport to Tokyo. We will spend the night there then go to Narita temple and explore in the morning before taking the train into Tokyo. There is a special ceremony there in the temple at 9am. I believe it is at other times too but I usually hit the 9am. The local hotels have shuttles that take you to the main bus station then it is an easy walk (about 15 mins) to the temple. We have gone early, get back in time for checkout and catch the train.

The Naritasan Shinsoji Temple is definitely a worthwhile stop! The ceremony is interesting, and there's also some cool spots around the temple grounds. My family actually took a tour of the town of Narita during a long layover a few years ago, and it was excellent.