Jackets / Coats with the oversized fur hoods - thoughts and suggestions

May I ressurect this thread?

These coats are everywhere in England. They sell some lovely ones in Harvey Nichols but they are not cheap. I tried one on lined in fox but a huge raccoon collar and whilst it was lovely it was a few thouasand.

I have since found a supplier from China that can supply the hoods. He is pretty good except he takes a few weeks to get the fur to you. The benefit of this guy is that he shows you the actual collar that is coming your way - the exact one. A collar delivered is around £60! So obviously huge savings. You then need to get it on the coat but I cannot imagine this to be a big job.

Some sellers from China (Wish and Alibaba) sell the coats lined in rabbit but I fear it might shed?

Hope this info is of use to someone a d if anyone wants the details DM me by all means.
Some companies add a little bit of fur and it trebled the price. It's been mentioned before but people just assume real fur has to be mega expensive - it simply doesnt.

The hood on that first one is TDF!!

I only have one fur lined parka, and it's done in faux fur, very nice heavy and thick. The reason I chose faux instead of real is because fox and rabbit shed like crazy, and if it's on the inside your clothes get covered in hair, I can't deal with that.
This is the one I have, by FreePeople, military parka, I think it was around $300 (got it last season)

fur-lined-military-parka-Military-9f0a048d-.jpeg

The hood on that first one is TDF!!

I only have one fur lined parka, and it's done in faux fur, very nice heavy and thick. The reason I chose faux instead of real is because fox and rabbit shed like crazy, and if it's on the inside your clothes get covered in hair, I can't deal with that.
This is the one I have, by FreePeople, military parka, I think it was around $300 (got it last season)

View attachment 3866523
Sheared rabbit shouldn't shed and it gives the warmth without the bulk.

Reactions: KittieKelly
Have you tried the Jane and Tash ones anyone?

Have you looked into Moncler? They have some thick fox fur hoods and are down filled

No, but I'll check them out. I don't want fur lined because it will shed. I don't need anything that's Arctic warm, just something for 40, 30, possibly 20 degree weather for casual wear. I would like a real fur collar, fox most likely because of the thickness. I have an old fiber filled parka that use to have a detatchable fur hood but when one of the Rotties were pups, they decided it would make a good chewy....no more hood. Coat is still ok, just well worn, so I'd like to replace it. I'm also not willing to spend a lot of money for one either. For what the coat will be used for, I will go for faux but I'd rather have real fur on the hood.

Last edited:
No, but I'll check them out. I don't want fur lined because it will shed. I don't need anything that's Arctic warm, just something for 40, 30, possibly 20 degree weather for casual wear. I would like a real fur collar, fox most likely because of the thickness. I have an old fiber filled parka that use to have a detatchable fur hood but when one of the Rotties were pups, they decided it would make a good chewy....no more hood. Coat is still ok, just well worn, so I'd like to replace it. I'm also not willing to spend a lot of money for one either. For what the coat will be used for, I will go for faux but I'd rather have real fur on the hood.
Moncler is good for that weather, 40's not much below that though. I don't find them warm at all, I freeze my butt off in my Moncler so it hardly gets used. They are over priced IMO, but feel nice and soft.
Nordstrom online has some really nice affordable fur hood coats, and try saks off fifth website. Oh and checkout revolve.com they have some nice coats, SAM brand looks just like Moncler for way less.
Puppies gotta love em' :biggrin:

Last edited:
Reactions: cdtracing
I'm going to get my furs out of storage on Monday so while out & about, I'll stop by Saks & see what parkas they have available. I want to try some on to get an idea of what size to buy if I buy online. I also have to find the right palazzo pants to pair with the beaded top I'm wearing to the upcoming wedding. I really appreciate all the advice & info from you ladies. I haven't bought an actual coat in any form in years.

It will shed. Walking around, getting in and out of cars...too much friction. Even faux has some shedding, albeit minimal.
The fox styles look the best IMO, it's that long fluffiness...scrumptious! But i'll stick to wearing it on the outside of the coat :lol:

Hey!

I'm new here, but if you don't mind my asking, what do you think about rabbit fur lined parkas? Im thinking of picking up a Yves Salomon because they look super warm and luxe, but I have no idea how fur behaves. I understand the need to store fur over the summer and get it conditioned/cleaned yearly, but I hear varying estimates on how long the lining will keep (anywhere from 3 to 20 years). Seeing as Salomon's arent cheap, I'd rather not drop the money if it only lasts 3-5 seasons!

Thanks!

Reactions: Flip88
Hey!

I'm new here, but if you don't mind my asking, what do you think about rabbit fur lined parkas? Im thinking of picking up a Yves Salomon because they look super warm and luxe, but I have no idea how fur behaves. I understand the need to store fur over the summer and get it conditioned/cleaned yearly, but I hear varying estimates on how long the lining will keep (anywhere from 3 to 20 years). Seeing as Salomon's arent cheap, I'd rather not drop the money if it only lasts 3-5 seasons!

Thanks!

If the fur is on the inside expect it to wear out a lot quicker than if the fur were on the outside. The constant friction of clothing rubbing against the fur will wear it down. If it were me, I wouldn't bother storing a rabbit lined parka.
For the money you can get a gorgeous fur, a fox jacket, or stroller length rabbit coat. Way prettier too IMO, and will last longer than the lined parka.
But this is just me :smile:

Reactions: Flip88 and landau
If the fur is on the inside expect it to wear out a lot quicker than if the fur were on the outside. The constant friction of clothing rubbing against the fur will wear it down. If it were me, I wouldn't bother storing a rabbit lined parka.
For the money you can get a gorgeous fur, a fox jacket, or stroller length rabbit coat. Way prettier too IMO, and will last longer than the lined parka.
But this is just me :smile:

I appreciate the comments. I have literally no idea about fur; every other material I can talk about all day (as I come from a family of fashion industry people, but no one is a furrier!). I don't like wearing fur on the outside; I was only planning on wearing a liner for the warmth.

If you had to guesstimate, how long would such a parka last?