Is your bag REALLY a "unicorn"!?... I think NOT

As of most recent, I've seen the word "unicorn" and I DON'T agree with the usage.

There will always an elusive hard to get Chanel bag. In the past, there would be one maybe two within the whole year! Remember the Chanel Crise 2016 Mermaid Iridescent bag or the Chanel 2019 SS Pearly Flap Bag?! In my opinion, those are true unicorn bags. If you were to sell them today there would be a significant markup.
1613334331175.png1613334354750.png
However these days I feel as though ALOT of bags are now getting the 'unicorn' treatment when I just don't think they are.

Unicorn bags = are a true 'one of a kind', takes your breath away, outside of the norm, something truly special!
NOT just a 'hard to get bag'

I'm seeing with the 20/21 collections the caramel/gold/rose claire craze... a regular Chanel double flap is now considered a "unicorn" REALLY?? It's just another color! Should we be calling them just hard to get rather than 'unicorn'?

In all honesty, I think the phase has been pushed by resellers/PS to justify crazy second-hand market markups. Or it makes the shopper feel better for going through abnormal leaps and bounds to secure a bag when they normally wouldn't have.

What do you guys think?
What do YOU consider a TRUE UNICORN bag?
Are we using the term unicorn to loosely?
Let's discuss!

Last edited:
It's justification to buy another bag lol. If you see a new unicorn color every season, you keep buying. Unicorn to me is something ultra rare, neither of the ones you pictured are unicorns to me, but they will be to some people. Unicorn for me is something that maybe came around once (and never again), it's super rare and from a super special collection, and I need it to complete my collection. I don't see how a classic flap in any color can be a unicorn, it's just a flap in a new color.

I agree with Swanky that a Unicorn bag might mean/be something different for different people. However, it is true that PS's are calling EVERYTHING a Unicorn bag these days...lol.

The only reason any of these bags is HTF is because because between getting early intel, and reserving early and the PS hogging them like the Rose Clair and Caramel bags it makes them seem scarce. I've seen plenty on the market, they aren't rare. Just sometimes hard to get from the boutique for certain things.

I agree, I feel that the term unicorn bag is being overused. Especially for the brown/caramel color. I found a reseller who was charging a markup of 1500$ for the mini and she justified it by saying it’s a unicorn bag... NO it’s NOT a unicorn bag, just all the resellers bought them all and the real consumers are left with nothing. When you manipulate the market like this, it’s not a true unicorn bag....

BTW, I have the purple mermaid boy in old medium. It was my first Chanel. I saw it on the shelf and my mom bought if for me because it was just so different. I still don’t consider it a unicorn bag though, different and special, YES, but not unicorn.

Was the pearl mini that rare? I feel like so many people have them.

I agree overall tho. To me a unicorn is something rare and highly coveted. I actually think it’s possible for the caramel to be a unicorn because I heard most of the store buyers didn’t order many Bc they didn’t think it’d be popular so there aren’t many to go around. So it’s kinda rare and highly coveted. Whereas something like the 19s iridescent pink, certainly beautiful but I’m sure most stores ordered it so there were more of those to go around than this caramel. Or like my white iridescent coco handle, I heard that there were less than 10 in the United States

I totally agree. The term is totally overused. As much as I believe the term might be a personal "feeling" towards (in this case) a specific bag. It in no way makes sense to generalise the term for just a specific colour.... unless of course it is a limited edition which so far the regular colour ways have not been.
Being based in Europe, France to be more specific, this term really doesn't exist concerning Chanel. Some items/bags are harder to get than others but unicorn just glorifies an item for Personal Shoppers or Resellers who try and make something happen that really isn't.
Sorry for the opinion but to me, nothing justifies this term. The pearl bag received this name only because the price was low considering how "special" it was. Otherwise at a 10.000 USD price tag for example, nobody would have spoken about it and even less would have nominated it the "unicorn" bag. :smile:

Was the pearl mini that rare? I feel like so many people have them.

I agree overall tho. To me a unicorn is something rare and highly coveted. I actually think it’s possible for the caramel to be a unicorn because I heard most of the store buyers didn’t order many Bc they didn’t think it’d be popular so there aren’t many to go around. So it’s kinda rare and highly coveted. Whereas something like the 19s iridescent pink, certainly beautiful but I’m sure most stores ordered it so there were more of those to go around than this caramel. Or like my white iridescent coco handle, I heard that there were less than 10 in the United States
I got the impression it was 'rare'
I also think its hard to tell because of social media I think theres an illusion of the amount of stock there is out there. When we see so many lux bloggers unbox bags it gives the idea that they're 'everywhere'

Reactions: thundercloud
Love the responses!! Some disagree with what I think is a unicorn.
Would love to know what the general consensus of which bags are in fact 'unicorn'?

One that comes to mind is the 17c(?) nude chevron reissue. I missed it so have been stalking the preloved market for years, and it has only popped up twice and has sold faster than I could check out both times. Not sure if it is a universal unicorn in the sense that it appeals to a super wide audience like the pearl mini (which I actually really dislike), but it’s definitely a unicorn in the sense that it was rare and is highly coveted now by those who love reissues.

Attachments

• 78E39AA8-E3A7-4DD1-A389-601A9C856210.jpeg
    78E39AA8-E3A7-4DD1-A389-601A9C856210.jpeg
    171.7 KB · Views: 79
the pearl mini is a unicorn for me. i don't even remember why didn't buy it when it was released. other than this bag i don't think i have seen a bag and thought "wow so unique, i must have it!"

Reactions: frankn26
So I know I replied earlier but I was so fired up over the brown bag I didnt really answer the question. I'd consider a bag a unicorn if it's rarely seen in the wild (i.e. the resale market) and when it is, it sells immediately and for a premium. The pearl bag and the rose gold mini are both unicorns, and I'd say that pretty much any caviar mini is bit of a unicorn at this point.