Is there a minimum age for a girl to own LV?

I was 18 when I bought my first designer bag with my allowance. Anything much younger than that is too young. And there will be a sense of entitlement anyways. Unless she has a job and buys it herself. End of story.

I wonder if, like you, she wouldn't appreciate it more if she worked for it as you did. I didn't buy my first designer bag, a Chanel when I was 35, once I was very secure in a good job making 100K a year as a gift to myself. I also consider handbags and jewelry as decent investments. I raised my kids to believe in that as well, and my boys will happily invest in a good piece of clothing or shoes or a watch and they will take great care of it. It's also a good safety net, because unlike money, it won't run out and will always be there to sell if need be and won't depreciate as much as a car or even a house sometimes. But they need to buy it or really accomplish something for me to buy it, so that they always appreciate it. They have been with me when we searched through the car seat for enough change to buy milk, so they appreciate anything, I think.

I think it depends on the person , I've always taken care of my items whether it's a primark bag or my LV's. My bf's sister on the other hand is 17 and is desperate for an LV , but she is no where near responsible to own anything nice , she got an iPhone last year which she's already smashed the screen so I don't trust her with an expensive bag because she wouldn't look after it. I think maybe when's she's older she might be more careful.

I think luxury goods are better left for adults. And I would not feel guilty if I carry a top of the line purse and my pre-teen or teenage daughter doesn't (I only have a son, so this is hypothetical). I work hard and have earned it.

I had this discussion with my SO. We had differing opinions.

I agree you don't want to raise a child with an entitled attitude who doesn't appreciate things, but on the other hand I think the type of person they become has much more to do with other aspects: rules, expectations, goals,etc as opposed to gifts.

I also believe the likes/dislikes and maturity level of the child factor in as well.

I don't think a pochette is an unreasonable gift for an older teen (16+) but it also depends on that person & the circumstances around the gift (ie not "happy birthday, merry Christmas, happy 31st of the month, here's a bag")

I think something to commemorate a milestone birthday or accomplishment is reasonable.

This is coming from someone who's first LV was a gift to herself after being 6 months into her first job at the age of 29. But I had leather coach bags as a teenager.

What do you think?

My best friend's daughter received her first LV piece at 14 (a speedy 25 in DE). She just turned 16 and purchased a bb in vernis indian rose. Yes it was over 1800 but she earned all but 300.00 of her own money and I can remember her wanting this particular bag since she saw mine in pm size over a year ago. I don't think you can just say a specific age but if the child is responsible and will care well for the bag I don't think it matters. I also feel that a speedy is a good trial piece and it is even better if the young lady pays for part of the bag. I hope this helps.

My husband and I were just talking about this, I said not until our children are 18. He said maybe younger than that like 16. By the way we do not have any kids yet lol. But when it comes down to it everyone is going to have a different opinion on what how old they honk it's ok for a child to have a luxury purse. I also think it's how you raise your kids :smile:

Not judging how anyone else raises their children! I think if you really want to give your child a gift why not give them the gift of helping others? Sign them up for Habitat for Humanity or Feed the Children. Let them know first hand about having, giving and appreciation. I think about how far the money I would spend on an lv bag for a teen or small child could help out the community buying supplies to build housing or feeding staving children would go. I would help my child make a real contirbution to other's lives who are their age. Then maybe they could borrow my bag when they go out, but not to own. I think these kinds of luxury items are for adults. Jmo. :smile:

I had my first louis at 14.still have and love it. I knew my mom spent a good amount of money. And her giving me this kind of gift made me realize how much she trust me with a nice purse.so I babied it and loved (still love) it.

I wonder if, like you, she wouldn't appreciate it more if she worked for it as you did. I didn't buy my first designer bag, a Chanel when I was 35, once I was very secure in a good job making 100K a year as a gift to myself. I also consider handbags and jewelry as decent investments. I raised my kids to believe in that as well, and my boys will happily invest in a good piece of clothing or shoes or a watch and they will take great care of it. It's also a good safety net, because unlike money, it won't run out and will always be there to sell if need be and won't depreciate as much as a car or even a house sometimes. But they need to buy it or really accomplish something for me to buy it, so that they always appreciate it. They have been with me when we searched through the car seat for enough change to buy milk, so they appreciate anything, I think.
I couldn't agree more! Love your story!

I think it really depends on the kid. I had a girl friend in high school who was carrying LV bags and wallets from about 11 or 12. By the time we were in our senior year she was asking for a $5,000 Chanel bag that had a wait list or something and she thought nothing of it. She never took care of these items either. Her dad bought her a $600 Tiffany ring that she BEGGED for, but within two months she had lost it and didn't care. She was always very disrespectful towards her parents and yet they continued to get her what she wanted. She never grew to show them any respect because they pretty much kept rewarding her bad behavior.

After high school she pretended to go to a nearby 4-year university. She would write fake tuition bills and drive to the post office by the school so that it would be postmarked there. She would tell her parents to give her cash to pay for the tuition, she even told all her friends she was going to school. Even after pocketing all that fake tuition money, she would STILL make her parents buy her designer bags, shoes, and clothes.

To this day she still doesn't understand the value of money and has never truly worked for anything.

OP, I apologize in advance that this may not contribute to your thread at all. I just could not resist sharing this adorable picture I found on Pinterest in which I thought was some what appropriate to post here.

I believe she's caring a MINI HL which is so perfect for her :smile:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 6.56.02 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 6.56.02 PM.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 213