Is There A Limit To How Much You Will Spend?

I know I have a limit in my head.....the most I have paid for a bag is $500......but if I really saw something I wanted I would give it considerable thought!!! :wtf: I rarely pay full price though.

Anne

Oh yes... I could afford to buy a 15K Birkin (or whatever) bag but it will never happen. At the end of the day, it's still just a purse & it will have wear & tear. Imagine the first time you get a water stain or scratch on it... Frankly, my nerves would be too much to enjoy such a costly bag. My limit is $1200, period. If a bag I want is more than that, I will wait till it's on sale or find it on ebay. Growing up, my family was not wealthy (comfortable but not wealthy..) & my parents never bought me designer bags & whatnot. I guess that is something that stays with me to this day & keeps me grounded. Kind of that mental threshold that I will not cross with my spending. We do a ton of investing & would rather put 15K towards that.

When we sold our company & got well, alot, in the bank, to celebrate my husband offered to buy me something I really wanted. That could have been my chance to get any bag I ever dreamed of. Instead, I opted for larger diamond solitare earrings. Something that retains (even appreciates in)value, I wear every day, will last for many, many years & will never go out of style. To each his own though, that's just me!

i have never been tempted to spend more than $2,000 on bag. Yes, there are bags out there that cost more that I like- but those are the bags i can only dream of having for now.

I've never paid more than $200 for a bag so far, so I'm definitely in the minority. All of my bags are Coach except for 1 Dooney but I'm branching out towards LV and Gucci, so that limit is probably about to go way up. :lol:

After joining tPF, my limit goes up every week. Having a daughter who reminds me how I deserve(??) all these purses doesn't help either. :sos:
You and Nerdphanie are the cutest! She definitely deserves a Chanel bowler, hehe.

Hmm, yeah I didn't even care about purses until TPF. Then the quest for Jimmy Choo Tulita led to this forum and the rest is history. My limit keeps going up, but I never, ever pay retail. Off Saks outlet, NM and Saks sales, and ebay definitely help. My latest deal: Goldenbleu Delia (good condition) for $100! Woohoo!

Oh yeah, even when I'm able to afford a Birkin, I wouldn't get one.

Bethy, I haven't paid much so far, but after my coveted Jimmy Choo and Chanel purchase...well, you know. I am willing to get a bag in good/not new condition so that cuts the cost down significantly. Hmm, I am also thinking about exchanging my large Hamptons Satchel - what should I get though? All the bag prices at Coach definitely went up.

Just like all the expenses we have at home, we (DH and I) need to consider a budget for whatever we want to buy. We're parents now and impulse shopping is out of the question. We may indulge ourselves once in awhile but we don't buy anything above our means.

Oh yes... I could afford to buy a 15K Birkin (or whatever) bag but it will never happen. At the end of the day, it's still just a purse & it will have wear & tear. Imagine the first time you get a water stain or scratch on it... Frankly, my nerves would be too much to enjoy such a costly bag. My limit is $1200, period. If a bag I want is more than that, I will wait till it's on sale or find it on ebay. Growing up, my family was not wealthy (comfortable but not wealthy..) & my parents never bought me designer bags & whatnot. I guess that is something that stays with me to this day & keeps me grounded. Kind of that mental threshold that I will not cross with my spending. We do a ton of investing & would rather put 15K towards that.QUOTE]

I never had designer stuff either. We were very comfortable, but in the 60's designer stuff wasn't in my part of the country. Thank God - cause my parents, even though they could afford it, would no way buy me a LV.
We too are into investing. I'm going to be 50 & I am aware of the value of money. We are concerned about retiring right now & not lowering our standard of living. I've seen more people make foolish money decisions than make smart ones. We are going to be in the latter.
I'd rather have the money in art, diamonds, & antiques. These things go up in value - if you buy right.

I guess at some point I could afford to spend $15k on a bag but it just isn't me. I don't care much for the Birkins so it isn't a problem. I didn't even buy a nice bag until November when I got my first Balenciaga. I think my limit would be around $2k. But it would have to something I could use. I live a fairly casual lifestyle being a stay at home mom so I just don't want some super expensive bag that I don't get to use. I would rather have more everyday bags that I can use and enjoy.

My comfort zone is around $1500-2000-ish. BUT I have criteria for my purchases (similar to what another member said):
1. Will I wear it in 5 years or even next year?
2. Is it versatile and will 'go' with a lot of my wardrobe
3. Is it useful (I admit I break this one...I have around 9 LV pochettes that I mostly bought for collection rather than use)
4. Am I buying it because it is limited or because I like it (I struggle with this one....but if I am considering a limited purse I really try hard to imagine how much use I will get out of it)