Is the Burberry trench worth it?

Can I self-promote? lol :flowers:

I think my first Burberry trench (c. 2010) is similar in colour to yours... it's not the latest "honey" colour, more like a warm, yet cool stone aha.

View attachment 5882473
2010 idk-what-it-was-called colour vs. 2022 Honey

It's a relatively easy colour to style, and while my article is summer-focused, I just throw on tights under dresses and it totally works!
Stone is my favorite color. Honey doesn’t suits my skintone. Glad I bought mine when they were produced.

My Burberry trench coats have been worth it to me but I think it is very person and location dependent. A few considerations:

1) Location / where you live. I live in Northern CA, where the weather is mostly banded between 45/50 and 85 degrees Fahrenheit. This is year-round trench coat weather for me. On the cooler temps, I layer more inside. On the warmer temps, it might just be a tee. If you lived in colder places, eg Seattle, NYC, a trench coat would be more seasonable / maybe only usable half the year.

2) Whether you travel a lot, and where. I travel very frequently for work, and to places as disparate as Tokyo, NYC, Dallas, and during all times of the year (Winter or summer). My trench coats are a great layering piece. Depending on the trip, I bring either my Burberry trench or Max Mara Manuela (for cooler temps). Both are professional and hard-wearing.

3) Your style / existing wardrobe. I wear a lot of sweaters/knitwear and trousers/jeans and flats -- that is pretty much my style uniform. It is fairly casual / pragmatic, and all in pretty muted and basic colors. IMO, this sort of "basic" style is easy to pair with trench coats. I think trench coats can go with a lot of different styles, though, including more "girlier" styles than mine.

As I spend a lot on a few investment pieces, I logged daily for the past 1.5 years what I wore every single day. The black Burberry trench got a lot of wear -- perhaps the most of any jacket I own. I usually prefer the black to the honey one I have as the honey one stains easily and I find that annoying...I don't baby my things. The second most-worn coat was the Max Mara Rialto, and behind that the Max Mara Manuela (both of which are warmer).

I also have the Sandringham/Kensington trench coat style in cashmere and wool/cashmere blend, not the cotton gabardine style. I like those a lot too, although they are not as useful in wet / rainy climates like Seattle, etc.

This is the one I got. I went to Woodbury Commons, I worked with Matt, he was lovely. He even showed me how to style it and how to tie the belt nicely.

I love this color and love that you were able to find a piece with the check lining. The coats that I have seen at the outlets near me all have the new TB lining that Im not really a fan of. Maybe Ill drive up to woodbury. Thanks for responding!

I love this color and love that you were able to find a piece with the check lining. The coats that I have seen at the outlets near me all have the new TB lining that Im not really a fan of. Maybe Ill drive up to woodbury. Thanks for responding!
The check lining isn't inside the jacket, only at the collar and the sleeves. I'm just happy they had my size and many others. Everyone I go they only had size 0.

The check lining isn't inside the jacket, only at the collar and the sleeves. I'm just happy they had my size and many others. Everyone I go they only had size 0.

Ohh i see! It was the same at leesburg- only a couple of sizes and the SA said that they werent expecting a restock anytime soon as they are gearing away from stocking these coats at the outlets... I think ill plan to go up to woodbury just to see what they have.

I'm curious if the prices have increased like this in Europe or if they have stayed the same? I purchased a coat at the Burberry outlets in italy last year for about $600. The same coat is now $1200 at the outlets here.

Ohh i see! It was the same at leesburg- only a couple of sizes and the SA said that they werent expecting a restock anytime soon as they are gearing away from stocking these coats at the outlets... I think ill plan to go up to woodbury just to see what they have.

I'm curious if the prices have increased like this in Europe or if they have stayed the same? I purchased a coat at the Burberry outlets in italy last year for about $600. The same coat is now $1200 at the outlets here.
I didn't check when I was in Europe, but when I check European sites the pricing is similar. The outlets I feel you can find a deal with they are doing special discount. My jacket was marked down from MSRP minimally, but they had a special where if it was over $1500 there was 30% off.

Reactions: caramelize126
Hey I got a question for you guys especially for those of you living in Northern Europe or North America (England, Netherlands, north Germany, New York, Seattle,... ). I'd love to have your opinion and advice.

I am going for this weekend to Copenhagen in Danemark and would like to know if the weather will be suitable to wear my trench coat? I mean I checked the forecast and it looks quite OK with around 9°c to 11°c (Celsius) for the weather. It is going to be a bit windy, cloudy and little/partially raining.

For me it looks good especially if I wear a sweater / some layer underneath and a scarf.

So let me know what do you think, what would you advice me.? Maybe I should take a warmer coat? I do have some warm and somehow rain jacket coat I am wearing for hiking. :smile:

Hey I got a question for you guys especially for those of you living in Northern Europe or North America (England, Netherlands, north Germany, New York, Seattle,... ). I'd love to have your opinion and advice.

I am going for this weekend to Copenhagen in Danemark and would like to know if the weather will be suitable to wear my trench coat? I mean I checked the forecast and it looks quite OK with around 9°c to 11°c (Celsius) for the weather. It is going to be a bit windy, cloudy and little/partially raining.

For me it looks good especially if I wear a sweater / some layer underneath and a scarf.

So let me know what do you think, what would you advice me.? Maybe I should take a warmer coat? I do have some warm and somehow rain jacket coat I am wearing for hiking. :smile:
Sounds perfect to me for your trench (but here in Canada that is mild for November). You will definitely want a few layers underneath, like the sweater you mentioned. I would also bring a hat (or a toque as we call it) and gloves with your scarf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Edonis06
I have no idea what the colors or quality of Burberry trenches are these days but I've had mine for over 35 years and it still looks and wears great. It came with a wool lining, but I have no idea where it is. Never used it. I've always had it dry cleaned, and it's stayed waterproof even after all these years.

Love mine, but am hesitant to make a recommendation given how much time has passed since I bought mine. Over time, quality can change.

Reactions: ColdSteel
Sounds perfect to me for your trench (but here in Canada that is mild for November). You will definitely want a few layers underneath, like the sweater you mentioned. I would also bring a hat (or a toque as we call it) and gloves with your scarf.
Thank you for your answer and another question for you and the other.

I am thinking to wear my Burberry trench coat with a black turtleneck sweater and either a black jeans for a full black outfit or a white jeans for a different look. I am not sure which one could be the best looking ? :huh: somehow I want to try something new because I think the white trousers could look good with a the beige of my trench but I am also thinking it could be too much. Or to remain as a full black outfit to highlight the details of the trench.

And what color of shoes should I wear ?

Thank you for your answer and another question for you and the other.

I am thinking to wear my Burberry trench coat with a black turtleneck sweater and either a black jeans for a full black outfit or a white jeans for a different look. I am not sure which one could be the best looking ? :huh: somehow I want to try something new because I think the white trousers could look good with a the beige of my trench but I am also thinking it could be too much. Or to remain as a full black outfit to highlight the details of the trench.

And what color of shoes should I wear ?
For me, I would wear all black. Shoes could be black as well, what other options were you considering? I like a monochrome look and also black looks really good with the beige trench. If it is cool and drizzly / rainy I think the white trousers would be difficult to keep clean walking around in that sort of weather.

For me, I would wear all black. Shoes could be black as well, what other options were you considering? I like a monochrome look and also black looks really good with the beige trench. If it is cool and drizzly / rainy I think the white trousers would be difficult to keep clean walking around in that sort of weather.
I think I keep the all black outfit. But I have other days to fill up. So for the 1st day I was thinking to wear my white sneakers, white trousers and light blue cotton sweater. Also because it is not going to be raining that day. I like the contrast from blue and beige but also with white.

Reactions: AAgurl789