Is the Burberry trench worth it?

islandmouse

Jun 15, 2009
Hi all! Hope you're doing well. :smile:

I've been eyeing the Burberry trench for some time and I'm eager to purchase it for the spring. It's been on my luxury list for some time and is truly a classic piece. But I have never considered its quality -- just assumed it was worth it since it is so iconic. Can anyone speak from experience with the trench? Has it held up well? The SA I worked with a few weeks ago showed me how it repels water but I wonder -- if you dry clean the coat -- will Burberry's special fabric lose that resilience?

I am thinking about the Chelsea coat. I am petite (about 5'2" and ~95 lbs) but have only tried it on once. I was in between the 0 and the 2. The top part of the 0 was tight around my arms but the bottom portion fit more proportionally than the bottom half of the 2.

Burberry offers a service that re-treats the fabric because regardless of dry cleaning or not, the water resistance will fade over time as the finish ages. I would ask your SA if they still offer the service in order to confirm because I haven't been in a store in the last couple of years so the policy might have changed.

I have a trench style car coat and it is definitely a quality item; I don't think you would be disappointed in one of their coats.

100% agree with all the prior posts above.
Also would like to add if it’s worth it for you? Are you going to get the use and wear out of it that is up to your satisfaction?
I actually had the Burberry trench on my wishlist for over 5 years but I could never pull the trigger and recently decided that I would not be getting it for the time being. Why? Because I live in southern California and the weather is just too dry and sunny for me to use a trench coat often enough that is worth it to me.

In college, I had a Zara trench coat that was often mistaken for a Burberry trench. I wore it often because it was the fashionable thing to do at the time. (To wear a trench over a dress going to a club or a party). As the years went on, I wore it less and less. Now it’s just hanging in my closet and I don’t think I’ve worn it since 2017 :amazed:.

I had the Burberry trench on my wishlist for the longest time because it is a timeless and classic piece that felt like a standard piece in one’s wardrobe. However, in reality, seeing how I never used my Zara one for over 4 years, reality begs to differ.:P:lol:

My husband bought a lovely raincoat from Burberry in 2018/2019. The number of times he has worn it is less than 10. We just never get solid use out of our coats:sad:. Sad because I love outerwear.

If I lived in a colder or more rainy climate, I would definitely reconsider though!

Hope that gives you some food for thought!

I have an old 'Pimlico' which is slightly different to the belted versions.

Basically, you have to think of buy once and wear forever - so you must get style/length, style/fit and colour in the most useful combo for you. It's not a gap in the wardrobe coat, it's not a fashion piece. it's more an everyday, totally 'me', cost per wear coat. Then it'll be worth it.

I also have other Burberry coats. My last a couple of years ago (Pea/Donkey combo in black pure wool and leather). I have worn the coat constantly when cold enough. I wouldn't hesitate with outerwear if you 100% love.

100% agree with all the prior posts above.
Also would like to add if it’s worth it for you? Are you going to get the use and wear out of it that is up to your satisfaction?
I actually had the Burberry trench on my wishlist for over 5 years but I could never pull the trigger and recently decided that I would not be getting it for the time being. Why? Because I live in southern California and the weather is just too dry and sunny for me to use a trench coat often enough that is worth it to me.

In college, I had a Zara trench coat that was often mistaken for a Burberry trench. I wore it often because it was the fashionable thing to do at the time. (To wear a trench over a dress going to a club or a party). As the years went on, I wore it less and less. Now it’s just hanging in my closet and I don’t think I’ve worn it since 2017 :amazed:.

I had the Burberry trench on my wishlist for the longest time because it is a timeless and classic piece that felt like a standard piece in one’s wardrobe. However, in reality, seeing how I never used my Zara one for over 4 years, reality begs to differ.:P:lol:

My husband bought a lovely raincoat from Burberry in 2018/2019. The number of times he has worn it is less than 10. We just never get solid use out of our coats:sad:. Sad because I love outerwear.

If I lived in a colder or more rainy climate, I would definitely reconsider though!

Hope that gives you some food for thought!
Thanks for the insight! I live in New York so it can be quite cold here and rainy. I also travel a good deal to London (or used to before..) so I do suspect I will get good use out of it.

Burberry offers a service that re-treats the fabric because regardless of dry cleaning or not, the water resistance will fade over time as the finish ages. I would ask your SA if they still offer the service in order to confirm because I haven't been in a store in the last couple of years so the policy might have changed.

I have a trench style car coat and it is definitely a quality item; I don't think you would be disappointed in one of their coats.
Oh that's good to know! I will definitely ask the SA next time. This wasn't even something I thought about -- my mom asked after I told her about how repellent the trench was. Good point! Thank you!

Reactions: Bagatha Christie
Thanks for the insight! I live in New York so it can be quite cold here and rainy. I also travel a good deal to London (or used to before..) so I do suspect I will get good use out of it.

i think it depends on your coat wardrobe; your profession; your style; and how much warmth you really need. If you adore it, you should get it, bc you can make it work. But, buy it because you love that specific Burberry coat, bc many brands make them, and IMO it’s not the most practical. You mentioned it was tight in the arms, so I would still go up a size so as to be able to layer.

DH and I live in NYC and have owned Burberry trenches (we both owned classic from two and three decades ago and I had two metallic leather ones circa 2004?). DH kept his classic which is a holdover from his days in finance in the 1990s. Just because, but he never wears it (Probably bc even with jeans, it reminds us of those days lol) On the rare occasion that he wears a suit or sports coat, he will wear a car length coat (his preference) or a chesterfield over. I also found him a vintage vicuna topcoat (I went through perhaps twenty circular rolling racks of black coats at Cheap Jacks in NYC bc I had a good feeling) that he would wear before pulling out the trench. Also, water resistant is not the same as water proof; for the latter, you need a storm system like Loro Piana (DH also has a cashmere icer, a traveler, and a horsey (but the horsey is too heavy in weight and not warm — the worst of all worlds) or a Mac (which doesn’t breathe).

Although I love trench coats, I love them as fashion pieces. I got rid of the Burberry ones bc I wore other trench coats more often (a navy carolina Herrera denim trench is my favorite, but even that one is worn maybe once every few years). I found the burberry best for transitional seasons. For NYC in the winter, for me, it’s not warm enough, even with a hat, scarf and gloves, and a winter lining. It’s possible that I am just chilly all the time in the fall and winter, so prefer a heavier coat. I find myself reaching for a moncler puffy quite a bit. We love London, and find it somewhat warmer than NYC, but maybe that’s just the time of year we travel, IDK.

i don’t want to give you the impression that I am discouraging you for reasons of practicality, bc I am not that practical. I buy what I love; and, I encourage you to buy what you love. I just reach for more practical options more often. YMMV

Last edited:
i think it depends on your coat wardrobe; your profession; your style; and how much warmth you really need. If you adore it, you should get it, bc you can make it work. But, buy it because you love that specific Burberry coat, bc many brands make them, and IMO it’s not the most practical. You mentioned it was tight in the arms, so I would still go up a size so as to be able to layer.

DH and I live in NYC and have owned Burberry trenches (we both owned classic from two and three decades ago and I had two metallic leather ones circa 2004?). DH kept his classic which is a holdover from his days in finance in the 1990s. Just because, but he never wears it (Probably bc even with jeans, it reminds us of those days lol) On the rare occasion that he wears a suit or sports coat, he will wear a car length coat (his preference) or a chesterfield over. I also found him a vintage vicuna topcoat (I went through perhaps twenty circular rolling racks of black coats at Cheap Jacks in NYC bc I had a good feeling) that he would wear before pulling out the trench. Also, water resistant is not the same as water proof; for the latter, you need a storm system like Loro Piana (DH also has a cashmere icer, a traveler, and a horsey (but the horsey is too heavy in weight and not warm — the worst of all worlds) or a Mac (which doesn’t breathe).

Although I love trench coats, I love them as fashion pieces. I got rid of the Burberry ones bc I wore other trench coats more often (a navy carolina Herrera denim trench is my favorite, but even that one is worn maybe once every few years). I found the burberry best for transitional seasons. For NYC in the winter, for me, it’s not warm enough, even with a hat, scarf and gloves, and a winter lining. It’s possible that I am just chilly all the time in the fall and winter, so prefer a heavier coat. I find myself reaching for a moncler puffy quite a bit. We love London, and find it somewhat warmer than NYC, but maybe that’s just the time of year we travel, IDK.

i don’t want to give you the impression that I am discouraging you for reasons of practicality, bc I am not that practical. I buy what I love; and, I encourage you to buy what you love. I just reach for more practical options more often. YMMV
Thanks! Really helpful. The SA I worked with said Burberry actually makes a cashmere lining that goes inside of the trench so that it is heavier. I would consider getting that if I bought the coat. I agree it is more of an in between jacket for NYC and more of a fashion piece -- I would wear my Mackage on most cold days as I'm always cold, too! :smile:

• Insightful
Reactions: 880

If you want a warmer coat they also offer a cashmere outer version of their trench it is also much softer than the traditional cotton gaberdine. Make note that if you wear a lot of bags crossbody they will accelerate the piling of the cashmere though.

I like layering. So most Burberry trench coats are not for me because the traditional arm width doesn’t allow to comfortably put something underneath. If you pick the bigger size, it won’t look good.

So I prefer the coat with the dropped-shoulder style like Max Mara that doesn’t have a fixed shoulder line. With the loose cutting, you can easily put it with formal jacket. I remember Burberry trench has this dropped shoulder style. Just FYI and to be considered while checking it out at the boutique.