Is it common for sellers to become irate when you ask for an authenticity guarantee?

It's very simple. If you are selling a designer item, pre-authenticate before you list. You have backup if something goes wrong and can quickly fire off the relevant paperwork to eBay.

If you see an item that says authenticated by "x" or "y", then follow up with authenticator "x" or "y" if you are serious about the item. Don't write to the seller saying "Are you sure that it was authenticated by x?" unless you have checked with "x" or "y" first - it is a waste of time.

If you are buying and find something you really like, the simplest thing is to post it to the relevant "authenticate this a", b, c etc thread.

If I get a "How do you know this is real?" question, I am happy to help out and explain some of the factors that determine authenticity. But the "are you sure this is real...? " question is really annoying and suggests that you are really "a lying slime-ball".

There are many excellent authenticators out there. Use them! Be informed before you list something or bid on something. For the amount of money involved, having the item reviewed by someone with expert eyes is worth it for the peace of mind!

I have found that preauthenticating has led to way less post auction dramas. I get less tyre kickers.

Returning an item is not "cost free". Setting aside the cost of postage, think also that fees have been paid and have to be adminstratively refunded. Both the buyer and seller have to use their valuable free time writing to eachother on a situation that may not even exist if either of them had used an authenticator before the sale. If it goes ugly, then eBay or PayPal staff get involved too hosing down irate eBay members, and which is a "hidden cost" of a return.

Nothing irritates me more than seeing negatives left for sellers on items which are clearly genuine. I see a lot of these in the brand that I am most familiar with. It is unfair and often more to do with buyer's remorse than the actual bag. So if you are going to bid on the ultimate bag, do the ultimate thing first and pre-authenticate...

just because she wanted to pay outside of ebay doesn't necessarily mean she was trying to scam you.. some people do that so they can sell it for a lower price and not have to deal with the ebay fees. it's no wonder she got upset after you claimed she was trying to scam you.

Exactly...calling you ugly and haggard was a step too far, but I can understand why this seller would be offended after you automatically assumed that she was trying to scam you. All you had to say was that you'd prefer to deal through *bay in order to protect yourself. No harm, no foul.

Honestly, I don't think using *bay is worth it at all anymore. Buyers feel that they can't trust sellers, and sellers worry that they're going to be scammed by their buyers. Not to mention the fact that evilbay takes over 10% of your sale in fees, before listing fees and PP fees!

If the OP's tone and attitude were anything like a previous interchange she had with another seller (who also happened to be a PF'er), I'd have to say that the seller was probably justified in getting frustrated.

Looking at her buying history, she knows how to buy expensive bags on ebay. If she is asking about the LV set, she should have asked for more photos before she bid.

The seller doesn't have that much feedback (27) so I would have dotted my I's and crossed my T's first.

Looking at her buying history, she knows how to buy expensive bags on ebay. If she is asking about the LV set, she should have asked for more photos before she bid.

The seller doesn't have that much feedback (27) so I would have dotted my I's and crossed my T's first.
Most of her purchases were authenticated (on tPF) before she bought them.

Most of her purchases were authenticated (on tPF) before she bought them.

Right but I know that set does not have the photos required for bidding.
Oops, my bad --- it wasn't authenticated until after she'd won it.

The listing ended on Sept. 28 and she asked questions on Sept. 29, about 12 hours (or so) after winning. And about an hour later, she got a response that it appeared to be okay although the pictures weren't great: http://forum.purseblog.com/louis-vu...-use-format-post-618413-516.html#post16744565

Having received the authentication and by the OP's own admission that she should have asked her questions before bidding, the seller is within her rights to be aggravated. This was a 5-day listing but the OP chose to wait until 4 seconds before the auction ended to bid and another 12 hours to
ask questions. Sheesh!

I was the other seller the OP bought a bag from (i posted a thread about it in June of this year)... I'd urge everyone to read it.

She broke the TOS of my auction, and which would have been a simple easy mistake the fix, OP was extremely nasty to me and went to this board claiming I was "hostile", when that was simply not the case. After refusing to cancel to transaction for a mistake she made, she continued to harass me. I take such pride in my eBay selling and after perfect feedback and successfully selling items on eBay for around 10 years, she compromised it.

Now I'm not trying to start anything, but I can almost guarantee that this new seller did not get hostile or rude with her. A few members told me about these threads that were started, and I felt compelled to write a message here.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I found the thread last night after reading posts here. I have a question, Lauren8792. It appears the OP bid on a US only auction even though she was not in the US. Did Ebay take care of you after all was said and done? Clearly OP was not an eligible bidder.

I found the thread last night after reading posts here. I have a question, Lauren8792. It appears the OP bid on a US only auction even though she was not in the US. Did Ebay take care of you after all was said and done? Clearly OP was not an eligible bidder.

Yes they did. eBay was actually extremely helpful with everything. The part that actually helped the most was after an eBay rep read the eBay messages from the OP that were sent to me while that whole fiasco was going on. Because the messages from the OP were so nasty, they were very eager to help and make things right.

Yes they did. eBay was actually extremely helpful with everything. The part that actually helped the most was after an eBay rep read the eBay messages from the OP that were sent to me while that whole fiasco was going on. Because the messages from the OP were so nasty, they were very eager to help and make things right.
Isn't it nice when ebay actually does the right thing?! Sadly, it often happens too infrequently when there are problem buyers.