Is it common for sellers to become irate when you ask for an authenticity guarantee?

Their answer about "ask Ebay ..." IS weird. eBay doesn't vouch for anyone. They do not confirm that items are authentic. They do not check out sellers before they are allowed to list on the site.

Just wait until you get the purse and at that time post pictures of what you receive on the particular brand authentication thread.

I agree that all questions should be asked before placing a bid, but as a seller I am happy to answer any questions from my buyers at any time. This seller should have sucked it up and answered you without getting irate. Good luck, I hope the rest of the transaction is easy for you!

I have had this happen to me before where I asked a seller if the item was authentic and they weren't very nice in their reply. Since then, I don't bother to ask.

I once had someone tell me that I was crazy to ask because ebay removes all fakes and since theirs wasn't taken down it had to be authentic. When I told them tons of fakes stay up and are sold they told me to "mind my own business.". I guess some people just take it personally. And those people don't get my business!!

I once had someone tell me that I was crazy to ask because ebay removes all fakes and since theirs wasn't taken down it had to be authentic. When I told them tons of fakes stay up and are sold they told me to "mind my own business.". I guess some people just take it personally. And those people don't get my business!!

Next time someone tells you that, you can tell them you saw a listing that said "PRE-OWNED FAKE COACH SHOULDER BAG" and ebay didn't pull it! :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/coach-shoulder-bag-/120626755173?pt=US_CSA_WH_Handbags&hash=item1c15ea3665

(and I know it's been reported at least 2 times)

Could it also be that those sellers get so offended because they are selling a fake and don't want to guarantee authenticity? I'm just wondering, not to freak out the OP!

See this ^ was my original thought.

I was also dealing with a woman a few weeks ago who had some Louboutins posted, I made an offer, we made a few offers back and forth then she wrote me and said that she would go down to a certain price if she could invoice me through email instead of through Ebay at which point I simply said, sorry I'm not interested in being scammed. Then she sent me several emails calling me ugly and haggered LOL and trying to accuse me of trying to "Steal her receipt"

Anyway, thanks for the advice everyone. I will try to ask everything before hand and if this thread is still around when my bag arrives I'll update whether it's fake or not.

I apologized to the woman, even though I really don't think I did enough to make her so hostile, and she apologized back so hopefully now things are civil.

Why is paying with visa through paypal better? I thought paypal was really great with fraud regardless of what method through paypal was used

Their answer about "ask Ebay ..." IS weird. eBay doesn't vouch for anyone. They do not confirm that items are authentic. They do not check out sellers before they are allowed to list on the site.

Just wait until you get the purse and at that time post pictures of what you receive on the particular brand authentication thread.

well not to mention for me to even get Ebay to respond to me about if a seller is verified or not would take around 10 years, I'm still waiting to hear back from them regarding the shoe scammer and her harassment. I spent 2 hours one night waiting in their "chat" as well as sent several emails and have heard not a peep. If the shoe lady wants to entertain me with more words like Haggered she can go right ahead though that email was a definite LOL

You are only protected by paypal if you pay with a credit card. Therefore if she sends you a fake you may have to do a chargeback.

eBay buyer protection is a bit different but they may require a letter, which can be hard to get in the time frame they give you.

Yeah, you definitely need to ask those questions before buying kuz the seller could be as paranoid about you as you are about the seller.
ITA. If a buyer starts asking questions AFTER having won and paid I would get the feeling of having a problem buyer on my hands. Very simple. Ask all important questions BEFORE buying/paying.

Her irratic behaviour and rude messages were not necessary. A seller should be nice and polite when answering questions IMO.

ebay's rule is that sellers are supposed to be sure of the authenticity of their items before listing them for sale. An "authenticity guarantee" is kind of meaningless, since sellers are not supposed to list fakes or items they are unsure about (although of course people still do that all the time). A scammer will probably lie and say the item's authentic to make the sale anyway, and a person who genuinely believes that their item is real may think that a buyer who says it's fake is mistaken or lying to scam them.

If it is fake, and the buyer can provide the proof ebay requires, they'll force the seller to refund the buyer anyway, it doesn't matter what they say in their listing - even sellers who state "No returns or refunds" have to do it if ebay makes them.

See this ^ was my original thought.

I was also dealing with a woman a few weeks ago who had some Louboutins posted, I made an offer, we made a few offers back and forth then she wrote me and said that she would go down to a certain price if she could invoice me through email instead of through Ebay at which point I simply said, sorry I'm not interested in being scammed. Then she sent me several emails calling me ugly and haggered LOL and trying to accuse me of trying to "Steal her receipt"

just because she wanted to pay outside of ebay doesn't necessarily mean she was trying to scam you.. some people do that so they can sell it for a lower price and not have to deal with the ebay fees. it's no wonder she got upset after you claimed she was trying to scam you.