Is Hermes more important than safety?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear about all the muggings and purse snatching. I don't know what I would have done in that situation. I am sure it's scary to have a gun point at you and the person you love.
But if I had a croc 35cm birkin....I would.......give it up? It was so hard to write that!!! But I would give it up.
Glad to hear everyone is okay now. BTW moviegirl325 what purse did your DH defend in your honor? Just curious.

^^^ hahahaha..well...it was only my Kate Spade..years b4 I got tangled up in the evil web of Hermes!!! Thats why my DH believes in the concealed handgun license!!! but even in that situation, its best to just let your bag go, NO MATTER WHAT!! Don't want to die over a handbag, croc or not!! Altho I would be really sad!

If I KNOW I can get away, then I'll run like hell.

If I think for just a moment I might be in harm, I would gladly hand over the bag, it's just not worth the harm. I would not take a beating for a few thousand dollars so I don't think the handbag is any different. Yes it won't be the exact same bag if I have it replaced, but I might not be the same after a beating.

If they caught me in the right mood, they'd regret it, as my heavy scottish/irish (oh yes, I'm stereotyping!!) background allows me one nasty temper if the elements come together just right :biggrin: Probably the reason for those anger management sessions during my youth :shame:

Right there with you for the Scottish temper, Neeya :biggrin: Except I never got anger management classes. :roflmfao:

btw, i forgot to mention that a similar incident occured at my workplace not too long ago in broad daylight. two male collegues of mine witnessed the incident during an afternoon starbucks run. according to them, a car pulled up & one teenage girl jumped out & threatened a female pedestrian with a knife for her purse. the pedestrian kicked the teenager & one of my collegues ran over to help. at this point, the driver (another teenage girl) took off. then the attacker took off on foot (w/o the purse.) the pedestrian was ok. i thanked my collegue for helping her and yelled at the other one for doing absolutely nothing! what a wuss...

They can have the bag. That's why I pay the insurance company a ridiculous premium every year.

I have been in this situation and did not have the choice. In Seville, years ago, I was wearing a Coach bag messenger-style and was "mugged" from behind. They tried to rip the Coach bag off my body and I never saw the attackers - dragged me on the ground by the strap. I would have gladly given it to them - my passport was in the hotel safe. One of "them" --- I heard later there were 3 -- tried to get my mother's LV Speedy off her arm, but she clutched her shirt and he couldn't rip it free and then she kicked him. My father and a couple strolling near us went after them and chased them away -- empty-handed. But, it was frightening and ruined our vacation.

All these horror stories is really making me think twice about carrying designer bags ... But then again, anyone can get mugged, even when one isn't carrying namebrands.

My mother was mugged at knife point a decade ago when she came home from work. She wasn't carrying anything designers. Sometimes there's no rhyme or reason as to why someone becomes a target.

I would have to let the bag go.....gah, that would be difficult, but life is more precious. I contemplated this possibility as I brought my Birkin to NYC. My friends planned a trip to Harlem and I...gulp, brought my Birkin because I didn't want to leave it in the hotel room and it couldn't fit in the hotel safe. Thank goodness, I and my Birkin and my friends were fine. Actually, we had a pleasant time. It helped that I carried my bag with the hardware towards my body and with my umbrella in front of it.

Seriously though, I would let go of anything rather than get hurt. Get a good insurance cover. A bag is just a bag, just like another material things in our lives. Be safe and be healthy is more important than anything.

When I was attacked shortly after leaving the office I was attacked by muggers and let go of my designer bag immediately but was still brutally beaten up by these thugs

I am so sorry about that Businesslady I hope you are ok and everything is just a bad memory now!
I would have given the bag, although my bags hold sentimental value to me, still life is more important.
I was mugged once they took my wallet with all my cards in it, I was leaving for a conference the next day and having no credit cards made everything more difficult.
What did upset me more though, was that I had only £15 in my wallet, if these people needed the money I would have given it to them, they should have simply asked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.