Hermes Troy Michigan’s Somerset Collection

I hope so too - but I really do think from speaking to many salespeople in various stores that we have a lot of international luxury shoppers - LV is killing it - I’m from abroad originally and my hometown has 2 H boutiques/ 3 LV (all much bigger than Somerset) 2 standalone Chanel , Dior , 2 Cartier (the list is endless ) and it’s catering 80% plus fo the international traveler - and my hometown is only 4.5 million people- and no - it’s not known for being a cheap place to live (it’s become one of the most expensive places to live) ...I’m confident that H will stay - I think the strength of the brand will make it almost recession- proof,,,Cartier left over 10 years ago - but I would not be surprised if they re-opened a store- but I do feel that the trifecta of LV/ Chanel and H will always be desired and coveted...I also lived in South America during one of the worst recessions - and H both expanded their first store and opened 2 more stores ...it’s a mystery how they can do this - but they have that secret sauce ! It seems people will choose to spend their money on bags and shoes - not so much on clothing and jewelry as much as they used to ...I for one am confident they’ll do great business !

I hope so too - but I really do think from speaking to many salespeople in various stores that we have a lot of international luxury shoppers - LV is killing it - I’m from abroad originally and my hometown has 2 H boutiques/ 3 LV (all much bigger than Somerset) 2 standalone Chanel , Dior , 2 Cartier (the list is endless ) and it’s catering 80% plus fo the international traveler - and my hometown is only 4.5 million people- and no - it’s not known for being a cheap place to live (it’s become one of the most expensive places to live) ...I’m confident that H will stay - I think the strength of the brand will make it almost recession- proof,,,Cartier left over 10 years ago - but I would not be surprised if they re-opened a store- but I do feel that the trifecta of LV/ Chanel and H will always be desired and coveted...I also lived in South America during one of the worst recessions - and H both expanded their first store and opened 2 more stores ...it’s a mystery how they can do this - but they have that secret sauce ! It seems people will choose to spend their money on bags and shoes - not so much on clothing and jewelry as much as they used to ...I for one am confident they’ll do great business !
It is a mystery how they do this. If they do take up all of Crate & Barrel’s space it would be terrific, but surprising. I guess they track customers who shop at their boutiques out of town. So exciting!!

Reactions: WhyMrBabcock!
It is a mystery how they do this. If they do take up all of Crate & Barrel’s space it would be terrific, but surprising. I guess they track customers who shop at their boutiques out of town. So exciting!!
I’m shocked too If they take half the crate and barrel space...but speak to the salespeople in the higher end stores and they will tell you tourists come in with lists of things to buy- so it doesn’t reflect the foot traffic - interestingly- Detroit airport is the 10th busiest in the country- we’ve not a tourist hub (as yet- but it could change) but we get a lot of business travelers though ..,I’m quietly confident it will be a successful location for H ...and I plan to add a few crumbs their way !

I’m shocked too If they take half the crate and barrel space...but speak to the salespeople in the higher end stores and they will tell you tourists come in with lists of things to buy- so it doesn’t reflect the foot traffic - interestingly- Detroit airport is the 10th busiest in the country- we’ve not a tourist hub (as yet- but it could change) but we get a lot of business travelers though ..,I’m quietly confident it will be a successful location for H ...and I plan to add a few crumbs their way !
Our airport is very pretty. I plan to shop there too although I have an SA at another boutique. I hope they choose nice SAs. I haven’t come across any that are rude. The whole thing is amazing and I won’t believe it until I see it.
Do you think Hermes is getting “watered down” opening more boutiques? Do they have enough workers to keep up with the demand so the product keeps the same quality they had for years?

Last edited:
Our airport is very pretty. I plan to shop there too although I have an SA at another boutique. I hope they choose nice SAs. I haven’t come across any that are rude. The whole thing is amazing and I won’t believe it until I see it.
Do you think Hermes is getting “watered down” opening more boutiques? Do they have enough workers to keep up with the demand so the product keeps the same quality they had for years?
Good questions!

Same. But this will be so much better - both for proximity and sales tax. Do we know when they expect to open?
Hermes corporate announced via Craine’s Detroit that They’re planning to open in 2021...time to save some money..,and to find construction workers- there seems to be a really short supply here locally- my neighbors house is still semi- built after 18 months (the builder is rotating team over 2 sites ) and my DF’s house has just been completed after 6 (yes 6!) years ! So I think we can wait until H opens ! My excitement has not abated one bit.

Reactions: lovehermes