Is Coach using plastic?

I have a Coach outlet bag made out of something that feels like saffiano leather. The outside looks and feels like plastic.
During my diy remodeling of this bag, I cut through the lining, and ripped out the stiff lining material from the leather. Once the leather was revealed, I was pleasantly surprised to find a really good quality, thick leather.
Do you have a pic?

I have a Coach outlet bag made out of something that feels like saffiano leather. The outside looks and feels like plastic.
During my diy remodeling of this bag, I cut through the lining, and ripped out the stiff lining material from the leather. Once the leather was revealed, I was pleasantly surprised to find a really good quality, thick leather.
Wow, please share photographs! :shocked::love:

Wow, please share photographs! :shocked::love:
I will try to. It will be kinda hard to capture since it's a structured bag.
Regardless, I realized that a lot of handbag makers glue on a stiff material to the leather for ease of sewing. I wish they took the time to remove it after sewing, cuz the leather feels so much better after the glued on lining is removed.
They could have left it on for structure as well, but I prefer to feel the leather without the stiffness.

According to The Coach Screed, Coach has been using plastic coatings on many of their bags starting 10 or 15 years ago with the ones made in China. Federal labeling laws regarding leather description and content were changed about 20 years ago (I'm going from memory here so don't quote me) and Coach took advantage of the changes to add more plastic content, especially coatings. It explains why so many Coaches from the last 10 or 20 years have been thought to be counterfeit because they smelled and felt like plastic.

THIS, along with the six Salearea Coach Guides posted at the Coach Shopping sub-forum, should be required reading for any Coach buyer, seller and collector, it's VERY long but well worth your time:

and the Salearea Coach Guides, geared more toward vintage lovers. The first 13 posts are mostly background and some of the links in them no longer work but read them anyway. Read the entire thread for even more useful information:

According to The Coach Screed, Coach has been using plastic coatings on many of their bags starting 10 or 15 years ago with the ones made in China. Federal labeling laws regarding leather description and content were changed about 20 years ago (I'm going from memory here so don't quote me) and Coach took advantage of the changes to add more plastic content, especially coatings. It explains why so many Coaches from the last 10 or 20 years have been thought to be counterfeit because they smelled and felt like plastic.

THIS, along with the six Salearea Coach Guides posted at the Coach Shopping sub-forum, should be required reading for any Coach buyer, seller and collector, it's VERY long but well worth your time:

and the Salearea Coach Guides, geared more toward vintage lovers. The first 13 posts are mostly background and some of the links in them no longer work but read them anyway. Read the entire thread for even more useful information:
Full grain leather
Top grain leather
Split leather
Bonded leather
I think the bag I cut open was probably underside of split leather and was coated with plastic and stamped to give texture.

Full grain leather
Top grain leather
Split leather
Bonded leather
I think the bag I cut open was probably underside of split leather and was coated with plastic and stamped to give texture.

The Coach Screed is an eye opener. I learned a lot about leather there. And about Tapestry.

Thank you!

Wow, Hyacinth thanks for posting the coach screed. I read the whole thing. Very informative about leather, and eye-opening! and probably saved me hundreds of dollars.
Unfortunately in the United States it is buyer beware and businesses always win over unions and consumers. But if enough of us are informed consumers, we can make changes. I definitely won’t be buying a coach bag now. And unfortunately it’s not only coach, but products across-the-board, like appliances, furniture, pretty much everything, have been hollowed out with cheaper materials, but much more expensive prices.
This is my first comment here, just joined. Definitely worthwhile so far