Is canvas being discontinued??

Update: I went to another LV store, a much bigger one, and they def had more canvas in stock. And the SA there said that they had still been getting a few of the Pochette Metis bags each week. So I’ll be texting and checking in this week to see if I can get my hands on one
Exactly. Out local store (a quite small one though), almost always has canvas bags on display, even in the windows. Every time I go in, there is a canvas Pochette Metis of some kind put out there, canvas Neo Noés, even Neverfulls on display...

I asked my SA in Canada and she said they are not producing canvas bags especially some of the popular ones as much so people would purchase the newer leather editions. But if you’re patient they will still come around just longer wait times
And just to clarify by what she told me it’s not “discontinued”, just slower production (probably a combination of post covid plus LV trying to push people to buy the leather ones, which she did confirm this second point)

I can understand why LV is prioritizing their leather/exotic pieces, but LV canvas is iconic and has been their bread and butter so I can't imagine they are going to completely do away with it.... This 'limiting production' sales tactic is very frustrating to me though as someone who is new to LV. I'm just not interested in the leather at all and I'm waiting indefinitely for items that I do want.

Also, I am super bummed they discontinued the Favorite and reinvented it in leather. It is just not the same. :sad:

I can understand why LV is prioritizing their leather/exotic pieces, but LV canvas is iconic and has been their bread and butter so I can't imagine they are going to completely do away with it.... This 'limiting production' sales tactic is very frustrating to me though as someone who is new to LV. I'm just not interested in the leather at all and I'm waiting indefinitely for items that I do want.

Also, I am super bummed they discontinued the Favorite and reinvented it in leather. It is just not the same. :sad:

I was just telling my husband (poor guy—he could care less about handbags but tries...I keep telling him he is lucky I have tPF!) that I am curious if this strategy of limited production, scarcity and exclusivity, is going to backfire. I recently read a business story about Telfar and I think how that brand approaches loyal customers may be more in line with expectations from consumers going forward.

I have to assume that the LV corporate mothership conducts regular, comprehensive market research that drives their sales strategies—every brand at that level does and certainly the LVMH conglomerate would. But something about what they put loyal customers through just seems out of step to me.

:huh: This rumor.
So LV would also therefore ditch its heritage travel objects too--trunks, boxes, Keepalls, etc.? Really--who believes this?
This rumor has been going for years, for crying out loud. If LV was really going to discontinue their canvas pieces, they would have done so by now.

Seriously, though, why would they stop producing their bread and butter products which sell the most by far and are clearly a very strong part of the brand's heritage? If they want to make more money and become more exclusive, they'll just raise prices...which they already do.

This rumor has been going for years, for crying out loud. If LV was really going to discontinue their canvas pieces, they would have done so by now.

Seriously, though, why would they stop producing their bread and butter products which sell the most by far and are clearly a very strong part of the brand's heritage? If they want to make more money and become more exclusive, they'll just raise prices...which they already do.
Agree that it is unlikely they will completely discontinue canvas bags but there is no doubt that they have done more than just raise prices for canvas bags. They have also limited their production, whether intentional (likely IMO) or not. Yes there have been rumors in the past but this time there is also little to no inventory. Could be due to Covid but they are still cranking out the leather pieces so I doubt it.

Reactions: _vee and Aliluvlv
Agree that it is unlikely they will completely discontinue canvas bags but there is no doubt that they have done more than just raise prices for canvas bags. They have also limited their production, whether intentional (likely IMO) or not. Yes there have been rumors in the past but this time there is also little to no inventory.
All of the same things about there being little inventory for canvas pieces were being said about canvas pieces years ago. I could dig up a thread in which people were talking about it, but I really don't have the time or energy.

I actually thought this was the same thread that I remember from years ago until I saw that this one was started in April of this year.

Reactions: Aliluvlv and jellyv
All of the same things about there being little inventory for canvas pieces were being said about canvas pieces years ago. I could dig up a thread in which people were talking about it, but I really don't have the time or energy.

I actually thought this was the same thread that I remember from years ago until I saw that this one was started in April of this year.
Interesting, I never had trouble finding a classic canvas bag before and stores were chock full of them. Sometimes I waited a few weeks for the right combo, but generally pretty easy.